Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 5 posts.
07:35 AM on 03/05/13
Chris Collum
No dumbass dove in my dumbass brain
User Info.
Nice review, Chris Chris.

I like alt country so I'm very okay with this album. Love The Men. They just seem like dudes that unabashedly play whatever the hell they want. If older fans were knocked out by the Replacements-esque "Candy" on Open Your Heart....they are in for a rude awakening with New Moon. Love it tho. Ha, already have a follow up recorded. Sacred Bones is luccckkkyy.

Killer live show as well!
This band is going to be huge for Sacred Bones, which is awesome because they put out sweet stuff and Caleb Braaten, who founded the label, seems like a really great dude.

And yeah, there's going to be a line in the sand in terms of people's response to this record, and you and I and others you dig alt-country a lot are going to be on one side and those who don't or were really, really into their noise rock stuff are going to be on the other side. It also comes down to how much unevenness you can handle in terms of style on one album haha.
10:53 AM on 03/05/13
Chris Collum
User Info.
Worst record I've heard this year I think.
Was thinking about you

Quote:
While some (fans of the now-absent noise) will certainly give up on the band after this record

To each their own, I love it
12:29 PM on 03/05/13
Chris Collum
User Info.
Saying that fans of the "noise" will give up on the band just because this release is more cleaned up is kind of ridiculous - Leave Home wasn't that noisy to begin with, but certainly took a lot more risks, and didn't feel self-parodic like this album does (see: "Bird Sawng").

I don't really care for this album, but this was a well thought out review, Chris, The Mekons and Fakebook comparisons were good calls.
I don't think fans of Leave Home will ditch the band just because the new record is less noisy, but more so because the band has undergone a stylistic shift for which they don't really care. It happens when bands jump the tracks sometimes.

I agree that Leave Home took more risks. That is probably still my favorite record that these guys have put out, largely for that reason. But I also disagree with the notion that New Moon is in any way "safe," (you didn't say that specifically but I'm inferring, possibly incorrectly). I think the record goes in a lot of directions that most people didn't expect it to, and also will alienate a lot of fans, partially for that reason. So yeah, I think it does take some risks and it pays off a lot more than it doesn't.

If I wasn't so adamantly opposed to self-revising after the fact, I would have gone back and added that I don't really care for "Bird Song" either. That track does indeed fall flat, I agree.

Thanks homie, especially for taking the time to read it.

Also I'd like to just get this out there, but I don't really think this record is a 9/10. But we are supposed to use a 6.5, 7, 7.5, 8, etc. scale. I'd give it around an 8.8 probably.
08:10 AM on 03/11/13
Chris Collum
User Info.
My favourite record of theirs. It's jarring. Like if the Huskers put out Zen Arcade and then Warehouse with nothing in between. I didn't get into Open Your Heart much because Japandroids' album was so much better, but I dig this new sound. Pity they probably won't perfect it, next record could be synth-rap for all anyone knows.
I bet this record is a sign of what's to come. They already have the follow-up to this album recorded.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests