AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Abandon All Ships - Infamous Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 2
Musicianship 2
Lyrics 0.25
Production 5
Creativity 2
Lasting Value 0.25
Reviewer Tilt 2
Final Verdict: 19%
Member Ratings
Vocals 3.75
Musicianship 3.63
Lyrics 3.88
Production 4.13
Creativity 4.13
Lasting Value 4
Reviewer Tilt 4.38
Average: 40%

Abandon All Ships - Infamous

Reviewed by: Bloodgiver (03/11/13)
Abandon All Ships - Infamous
Record Label: Velocity/Rise Records
Release Date: July 3rd, 2012

Infamous.... that's actually an appropriate title for this album. Infamous in the sense that it's just so bad that its famous for being that bad. This is coming from a guy that actually liked Geeving for all of its entirety, and if you were looking for any songs that come close to Geeving's sound, turn the other way, this is not the album for you. This album is the epitome of all the bad things from Geeving, from the overdone auto-tune choruses to the simplistic chugging and occasional four chord song structure that plagued Geeving. To be honest I'm not that surprised, although I was hoping for something to Triumph over Geeving and give a refreshing feel to the "sythncore" genre.

Going from front to back this album starts off with the most confusing lyrics I've ever heard, "They think they know you but they don't know shit about it. They think I need you, but I use you, I don't need shit." Then an immediate transition to, "Fuck whatever they say girl, this moment feels so right." something you would expect from a Drake single. I wish this was the only moment when I can compare this album to Drake or whatever generic pop scene music is out there, but it's the one thing that plagues this album all the way through. Whenever the lyrics aren't confusing in message they lack originality or are straight egotistical, for example, "Fuck yeah, I have an ego, but you would too. If you had what I got, But we embrace, all of this hate. Bitch you're 15 minutes late."

The only time when Abandon All Ships doesn't make me want to follow that order is in the songs "Less Than Love", the chorus sounds something that mimics talent, the same can be said about "August", but we turn back to what plagued Geeving, the overdone auto-tune. It takes what could have been a good and angelic song into a Drake song (AGAIN). Even though auto-tune is Abandon All Ships style and it's kind of what made Geeving good in many respects, but there are moments in an album when you go out of your element and do something different and Infamous does nothing of the sort in any way. The only truly good songs are "Forever Lonely" and "Faded", even in those songs they have moments when I cringe thinking where did it all go wrong.

In a previous review it was made mention that Angel Aita's vocals were, " dull, flat, and boring" and this remains true in Infamous, after seeing them live and hearing him rawr with rage and command, I really question if it's really Aita screaming on this album. Broda sadly follows in line and doesn't put down the auto-tuner for one second in this album (and even live) which completely removes any opportunity to listen to this album without T-Pain making an appearance. Speaking of quest appearances, there wasn't a moment when the featured guest was on where I was impressed or even remotely interested in them. Hell if the song didn't make mention of a guest I wouldn't of even known. The only time I did notice was in the title track because it stopped the teeth grinding enough for me to take an advil.

The guitar work reminds me of myself when I was 15 and just playing random garbage and saying, "err-merr-gerrr this sounds sooo gewrrrrrd!!!" The only time I hear a lead guitar in Infamous is in the final song, "Brothers for Life", and they're so drowned out that it's hard to tell they are even there. To be honest they aren't half bad, actually I enjoyed that part of the song. But alas it was followed by the generic chug-chug-chug that Rise Records is infamous for, and in all honesty I can't even blame Rise Records anymore, with the release of "The Flood", "Black Diamonds", and "Ground Dweller" it seems they've atleast tried to pull away from the infamous chug-chug-chug thats become so prevalent in the genre, with the exception of "Genesi[s]". The only redeeming quality of this album is that there is no way Abandon All Ships can make such a steaming pile of crap that they call an album (Hopefully).

Recommended If You LikeAsking Alexandria, new Woe, Is Me.

http://www.myspace.com/abandonallships

Displaying posts 1 - 13 of 13
07:40 AM on 03/16/13
drewbaldy
phaynes1 sucks
User Info.
I think it's funny that you're trying to compare this album to drake as if he's not a good artist.
08:27 AM on 03/16/13
jakeisthebest
I'm just a fucked up kid
User Info.
LOL this review is terrible. Please just give up. Don't get me wrong, the album itself is dreadful, but your review might actually be worse.
01:14 PM on 03/16/13
Bloodgiver
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I think it's funny that you're trying to compare this album to drake as if he's not a good artist.
I'm not sayin Drake is a bad artist, but this band's album sounds like a Drake album that was covered by them lol. To be honest I hate Drake but his audience is pretty much mainstream rap/hiphop listeners for the most part, so his music fits the genre, and this album just doesn't answer to their fans/audience. Sure you could say because they go out of the genre's norms but they do it in such a way that just makes it worse.
01:15 PM on 03/16/13
Bloodgiver
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
LOL this review is terrible. Please just give up. Don't get me wrong, the album itself is dreadful, but your review might actually be worse.
Anything specific that's bad about the review? I like constructive criticism.
01:18 PM on 03/16/13
DylanPPPP
Noooooooooooch
User Info.
Dissing Drake. Review sucks.
01:27 PM on 03/16/13
jakeisthebest
I'm just a fucked up kid
User Info.
Anything specific that's bad about the review? I like constructive criticism.
The constant comparing them to Drake was really cheap, leave that out if you want to be taken seriously. Calling his music "generic pop scene music" is just ignorant, I'm not much of a fan of his genre, but I know he's one of the best at what he does.

I really can't be bothered to go through everything else that's wrong with it.
03:41 PM on 03/16/13
Bloodgiver
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The constant comparing them to Drake was really cheap, leave that out if you want to be taken seriously. Calling his music "generic pop scene music" is just ignorant, I'm not much of a fan of his genre, but I know he's one of the best at what he does.

I really can't be bothered to go through everything else that's wrong with it.
So Because my opinion of Drake and comparing him to "generic pop scene music" the entire review of ABANDON ALL SHIPS is bad. Sure, in hindsight, I could have not used him as reference but I'm not going to edit and change my review because someone or even everyone disagreed with my wording/opinion. If you like the album that's great, if you hate the album that's great, and even if you hate the album and disagree with the review that's great too, but this is my opinion, if you disagree take the time out of your day and write a review for this album too.

Also, this is my first review ever so thanks for the feedback. (Don't take this as like a troll post I genuinely want feedback and want others opinions, even ones that vastly differ from mine)
07:35 PM on 03/16/13
DylanPPPP
Noooooooooooch
User Info.
Abandon All Ships sounds nothing like Drake and to even think of comparing to begin with was just a bad idea.
07:39 PM on 03/16/13
DylanPPPP
Noooooooooooch
User Info.
So Because my opinion of Drake and comparing him to "generic pop scene music" the entire review of ABANDON ALL SHIPS is bad. Sure, in hindsight, I could have not used him as reference but I'm not going to edit and change my review because someone or even everyone disagreed with my wording/opinion. If you like the album that's great, if you hate the album that's great, and even if you hate the album and disagree with the review that's great too, but this is my opinion, if you disagree take the time out of your day and write a review for this album too.

Also, this is my first review ever so thanks for the feedback. (Don't take this as like a troll post I genuinely want feedback and want others opinions, even ones that vastly differ from mine)
I get where you're coming from. I was once in your position and most people's first reviews are not very good (myself included). Reviews are just something that get easier to write as you write more. I'd say keep trying if its something you are really interested in trying to do and once you are comfortable with your style of writing THEN try to expand on it and really add your own flair.

I'm not claiming to be a great review writer but as someone who has been writing music reviews for the better part of two years, I'd like to say I have a good grasp at how the process goes.

So my best advice is just keep trying and become a little more comfortable. The rest just kind of comes naturally if you are a passionate enough writer.

Also, read other people's reviews. Don't try to copy what they do or how they say things but take note of how their reviews are structured and how they grasp and explain it. Of course everyone's grasp is going to be a little different, but that is the beauty of subjectivity in music.

Edit: Also, a good start is trying to review albums you generally really enjoy first. Writing reviews like this is fun but once it's established what you do like and how to explain that, explaining what you don't like comes easier.
10:00 PM on 03/16/13
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
User Info.

Ignore the butthurt ones here, I read this review earlier and thought it was perfect early on the week. The Drake comparison (though I respect him for being more clean cut and talented than most of his trashy American peers) was spot on and made perfect sense when I read it.
01:07 AM on 03/17/13
buck dutter
User Info.
i like this album

the title track is cool
Options

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles