Username
Password

06:45 PM on 03/20/13 
User Info.
i like apples
Kyle Max
New York City
Male
I couldn't find a screenwriting thread so I figured I'd give this a whirl. I'm sure there's more than a few of you out there that love to write, whether it be comedy, drama, or nonsensical internet wonderment. I thought this would be a cool place to bounce ideas off each other, discuss what we're writing.
09:41 AM on 03/21/13 
User Info.
i like apples
Kyle Max
New York City
Male
I'm located in the NYC area as well. Would love to collaborate and get some shorts made with fellow APers.
01:46 PM on 03/21/13 
User Info.
i like apples
Kyle Max
New York City
Male
Made a terrible short film in high school called Blood Farm. It was awesome.

Well that title needs to live on because it's a thing of legend haha
03:16 PM on 03/21/13 
User Info.
i like apples
Kyle Max
New York City
Male
For anyone who wants to get started screenwriting but doesn't know how: http://mypdfscripts.tumblr.com/

Read. Just read. Horror, sci-fi, action, drama, films you love and films you hate. Read as many scripts as you can, and once you get a sense for what you like, get a copy of Celtex or Final Draft. Both programs will help you with most of your page formatting, but just in case, I'd bookmark this page, too.

The most important thing to remember is that STRUCTURE IS KING in screenwriting. The metaphor's a cliche, but it's absolutely true: a screenplay is a blueprint. It doesn't mean the finished product can't be a hut or a skyscraper or the Pentagon, but there are only so many ways to warp your materials before your building won't even stand up. This is a pretty good guide to the basics.

I'd outline your story before you start writing. That'll help you see where you're going before you get lost writing scenes. The only thing that goes in your action lines should be whatever an audience will see on screen. "Lionel quivers," is fine, "Lionel is afraid" is not. Show don't tell. Characters can be contradictory. People don't always say what they mean, and don't often talk about how they're feeling. Keep your descriptions as crisp and clear possible (again with the blueprints: they show every detail but aren't very colorful.) Flowery language dies on the page.

Write, write, write, and don't stop when it isn't fun anymore. The best work hurts.

Real nice, thanks for adding this.
06:41 PM on 03/21/13 
User Info.
i like apples
Kyle Max
New York City
Male
Haha, I wish it were that simple, but it's so (actually eerily) similar, that it would never be taken seriously.

I wrote down an idea for a short story when I was 13 called Beyond Earth about a crew crash landing on earth after it had been abandoned. Not even kidding haha
07:57 PM on 03/21/13 
User Info.
i like apples
Kyle Max
New York City
Male
It would be awesome if this got to the point where a bunch of us could film a short.
08:15 PM on 03/21/13 
User Info.
i like apples
Kyle Max
New York City
Male
It'd be amazing to do what Left Handed Radio does, and make up a 25 (or so) page sequel to a famous movie, writing it a page at a time. The catch is you can only read the one page directly before yours.

That would be awesome, let's do it haha. What movie should we do friends?
08:22 PM on 03/21/13 
User Info.
i like apples
Kyle Max
New York City
Male
Argo 2: Fuck I Forgot My Watch
11:16 AM on 03/22/13 
User Info.
i like apples
Kyle Max
New York City
Male
I want to do this someday but with chapters of Trapped In The Closet.

haha that would be amazing.
01:25 PM on 05/08/13 
User Info.
i like apples
Kyle Max
New York City
Male
Had an idea for a script and I don't even know what that means. Like how the fuck does that process even start?

What I usually do:

- Who is your lead?
- Where do you want to see this character at the end of your story?

Too often do I read screenplays that lack character development or lack a clear lead.
05:36 PM on 05/20/14 
User Info.
i like apples
Kyle Max
New York City
Male
Figured I'd bump this, anyone being creative lately?
05:38 PM on 05/20/14 
User Info.
i like apples
Kyle Max
New York City
Male
Started writing a script about the early 2000s pop punk/skate scene. Probably zero audience for it, but it's getting me all nostalgic.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos