AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Bomb the Music Industry! - Get Warmer Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 7
Production 8
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 7.25
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 78%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9
Musicianship 9.33
Lyrics 9.33
Production 7.67
Creativity 9.67
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9
Average: 90%
Inside AP.net

Bomb the Music Industry! - Get Warmer

Reviewed by: TheOtherAndrew (04/03/08)
Bomb the Music Industry! - Get Warmer
Record Label: Asian Man Records / Quote Unquote Records
Release Date: July 31, 2007

New York punk outfit Bomb the Music Industry! have been giving their music away for free on the internet years before the phrase “pulling a Radiohead” even existed. Now, with their fourth major release Get Warmer, the band has decided to put their music out on CD and vinyl for the first time through Asian Man Records. While this might seem like a radical change for a band that has made a name for themselves by posting their music on the internet for no charge, the sudden change in distribution hasn’t diminished their songwriting abilities in any way. If anything, these new songs represent some of the best material they’ve ever put out.

Much like 2006’s Goodbye Cool World!, Get Warmer features songs with lyrics regarding things as simple as riding bikes and quitting your job. However, Bomb the Music Industry! somehow manage to make this formula work. Despite featuring a diverse cast of instruments like the mandolin and Moog synthesizer, the record flows extremely well and retains its punk rock sensibilities. “Unlimited Breadsticks, Soup, and Salad Days” and “493 Ruth” rank among the catchiest punk rock songs released this decade, and will have listeners singing along in no time. In addition, ska-oriented songs like “Depression is No Fun” and “Never Trust a Man Without a Horribly Embarrassing Secret” will keep fans of singer Jeff Rosenstock’s previous band The Arrogant Sons of Bitches pleased.

While most of the album stays true to the punk/ska punk formula that makes Goodbye Cool World! so enjoyable, the band throws the occasional curveball on Get Warmer. “I Don’t Love You Anymore,” for example, completely embraces the dance rock that older songs like "Side Projects are Never Successful" flirted with. The track recalls The Isley Brothers' song "Shout!" more than anything and strangely sounds as if it could be on rock radio. The album’s title track represents possibly the band’s greatest sonic achievement yet, dabbling into pure singer-songwriter mode before exploding into a wall of sound for a 3+ minute coda. It almost gives a glimpse as to what would happen if Bomb the Music Industry! collaborated with Connor Oberst.

Far from perfect, Get Warmer features its share of drawbacks, the main one being the fact that Rosenstock’s voice isn’t the greatest and can be extremely nasally at times. But who cares? It's punk rock. No other album released over the past year has succeeded in achieving such a feel-good vibe. Plus, even though the album's out on CD and vinyl, it's still available for free download on the band’s website. Not a bad deal.

Recommended Tracks"I Don’t Love You Anymore," "493 Ruth," "Get Warmer"

Recommended if You LikeFun, energetic pop punk with a few twists

myspace.com/bombthemusicindustry

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 22
12:06 AM on 04/08/08
allhourcymbals
embrace the silence
User Info.
Quote:
But who cares? It's punk rock.
Qft. Great review, Andrew!
11:01 AM on 04/08/08
TheOtherAndrew
[UNINTELLIGIBLE SCREAMING]
User Info.
Thanks Courtney!
01:25 PM on 04/08/08
CellarGhosts
Blodtørst
User Info.
Sweet review!
07:54 PM on 04/08/08
Adrian Villagomez
The Sword the Anvil the Stone
User Info.
Good read.
10:58 AM on 04/09/08
ZoSo1886
www.twitter.com/jamesbenedictnj
User Info.
been loving this record for a good long time, nice to see it up on AP
12:18 PM on 04/09/08
newfoundmichael
@SirDaveyBoy
User Info.
Ah, I'm glad someone reviewed this. I thought this was very different and very good. A solid review as well.
01:27 PM on 04/09/08
TheOtherAndrew
User Info.
Ah, I'm glad someone reviewed this. I thought this was very different and very good. A solid review as well.
been loving this record for a good long time, nice to see it up on AP
I'm amazed it hadn't been reviewed on here already.
01:33 PM on 04/09/08
SanePsychotic
Queerkegaard
User Info.
I'm surprised it took this long for someone to do review it. Good review.
03:01 PM on 04/09/08
Rxbandit22
1,2,3 skank
User Info.
I liked the review very much.
But I didn't like the score, I thought everything should have been at least a point higher.
I'm not saying it's perfect, but the review doesn't match up with some of the scores.
03:16 PM on 04/09/08
fromoc2dc
Here's Your Future!
User Info.
Great review for a solid record. Thanks for writing this.
04:21 PM on 04/09/08
llmp
Incorrigality
User Info.
This, like all other BTMI releases, has some great songs and some really, really annoying songs. I always have to burn the good ones to a disc to keep from skpping all the time.
06:26 PM on 04/09/08
saving jonathan
everything in transit
User Info.
Good review. I downloaded this when they had it up for free.
Definitely worth a listen, it's fun stuff.
08:01 PM on 04/09/08
TheOtherAndrew
User Info.
This, like all other BTMI releases, has some great songs and some really, really annoying songs. I always have to burn the good ones to a disc to keep from skpping all the time.
Just curious, which ones were annoying to you?
Great review for a solid record. Thanks for writing this.
No problemo, my friend.
I liked the review very much.
But I didn't like the score, I thought everything should have been at least a point higher.
I'm not saying it's perfect, but the review doesn't match up with some of the scores.
Looking back, 6 mighta been a bit harsh for vocals. But I'm pretty sure the reviewer tilt of 9 makes up for it. I really enjoy the record, regardless of the score. Its fun as hell.
10:08 PM on 04/09/08
panicbxmb
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Jeff's voice grows on you. i've been listening to ASOB since about 2003, and BTMI since it started (2005, i think...), and i've liked his voice more and more with each song.

This was one of my favorite albums of 2007, btw :)
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums