AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

10:34 AM on 03/28/13 
User Info.
putbackthestars
Calgary Canada
Male - 23 Years Old
Hey guys, I've been a member since the mid 2000s and no matter how my musical tastes change, I always come back to this site. I've been tasked with writing a paper for a University course on an online community so naturally I choose this site. I have a few questions, and it would be amazing if I could get some answers from the community.

First question: What was the most influential album of 2004?
10:50 AM on 03/28/13 
User Info.
georgedcc
Seosan
Male - 23 Years Old
I mean, are you talking about the AP 'scene' or music in general?

If the AP scene, it'd be something like JEW - Futures, MCR - Revenge, TBS - WYWTB or Green Day - American Idiot.

If you're talking music in general, then I'd say something like; Arcade Fire - Funeral, Kanye West - TCD, Usher - Confession or Beyonce - Dangerously In Love

And if you're talking about me personally, I'd say; Bjork - Medulla, Tegan & Sara - So Jealous, Muse - Absolution or Biffy Clyro - Infinity Land

So yeah, take your pick, there's probably some I've forgotten as well.
11:16 AM on 03/28/13 
User Info.
putbackthestars
Calgary Canada
Male - 23 Years Old
I mean, are you talking about the AP 'scene' or music in general?

If the AP scene, it'd be something like JEW - Futures, MCR - Revenge, TBS - WYWTB or Green Day - American Idiot.

If you're talking music in general, then I'd say something like; Arcade Fire - Funeral, Kanye West - TCD, Usher - Confession or Beyonce - Dangerously In Love

And if you're talking about me personally, I'd say; Bjork - Medulla, Tegan & Sara - So Jealous, Muse - Absolution or Biffy Clyro - Infinity Land

So yeah, take your pick, there's probably some I've forgotten as well.

Definitely looking more for the AP scene, so those are terrific albums. If you look back at 2004, what stands out to you as the nature of the scene? I remember bands like Underoath and how big the 'emo' movement was getting.
11:19 AM on 03/28/13 
User Info.
georgedcc
Seosan
Male - 23 Years Old
Remembering 2004 is pretty tricky ha.

Errrr... I remember listening to MCR, Lostprophets, Green Day, The Explosion, Jimmy Eat World and TBS and that's probably about it as far as albums from 2004 go that could be classed as 'AP' music or whatever. There's probably some shit that I'm forgetting though, I was also listening to bands like Blink, Alkaline Trio, AFI and Weezer and stuff. Didn't listen to Underoath or anything particularly heavy at that point though.
11:27 AM on 03/28/13 
User Info.
putbackthestars
Calgary Canada
Male - 23 Years Old
Remembering 2004 is pretty tricky ha.

Errrr... I remember listening to MCR, Lostprophets, Green Day, The Explosion, Jimmy Eat World and TBS and that's probably about it as far as albums from 2004 go that could be classed as 'AP' music or whatever. There's probably some shit that I'm forgetting though, I was also listening to bands like Blink, Alkaline Trio, AFI and Weezer and stuff. Didn't listen to Underoath or anything particularly heavy at that point though.

Ya I was listening to a lot of the same stuff. So my thesis is based around AbsolutePunk being a site that, while being committed to posting new music and aiding discovery, is used as a community for the preservation of the music of our youth. Bands like Brand New, Fallout Boy, Thrice, JEW, TBS and Blink are still reported on extensively, despite the fact that they are not in the spotlight like they once were.

Would you agree that the site and its users tend to be very sentimental about bands like these and the songs that they loved when they first started to get into this kind of music?
11:30 AM on 03/28/13 
User Info.
JulieLynn
Let's Be Alone Together
Westborough, MA
Female - 30 Years Old
Jimmy Eat World-Futures, hands down.
11:32 AM on 03/28/13 
User Info.
Coloso
hey
Romaaaaaaa
Male - 23 Years Old
Most influential? I mean that means AP-scene-stuff should automatically be discarded 99% of the time, as shit like American Idiot and other pop-punk and generic-core was just recycled trash by this point.
I think the case could be made for Kanye or Arcade Fire simply because they were so big.
I'd also add Pig Destroyer's Terrifyer I guess, Converge's You Fail Me, Madvillainy is a huge album that needs a mention. Not much else comes to mind... 2004 wasn't particularly big compared to the years right before and after it, in my opinion.
11:34 AM on 03/28/13 
User Info.
georgedcc
Seosan
Male - 23 Years Old
Ya I was listening to a lot of the same stuff. So my thesis is based around AbsolutePunk being a site that, while being committed to posting new music and aiding discovery, is used as a community for the preservation of the music of our youth. Bands like Brand New, Fallout Boy, Thrice, JEW, TBS and Blink are still reported on extensively, despite the fact that they are not in the spotlight like they once were.

Would you agree that the site and its users tend to be very sentimental about bands like these and the songs that they loved when they first started to get into this kind of music?

Sure, I suppose. I mean, every user is different, plenty don't care about any of the bands you mentioned, but yes I suppose in general people here are very attached to those bands.
11:35 AM on 03/28/13 
User Info.
putbackthestars
Calgary Canada
Male - 23 Years Old
Jimmy Eat World-Futures, hands down.

Totally, using that for sure.

How do you feel about my above question about the nostalgic nature of the site? I mean it even looks the same as it did when I first joined, and most band icons for news are pictures of their defining records from the 2003-2005 era. Do you think that the site is more geared towards new discovery, or is it more of a place to keep up with bands that we used to love dearly and who have since faded out of the spotlight (JEW is a great example)?
11:36 AM on 03/28/13 
User Info.
Coloso
hey
Romaaaaaaa
Male - 23 Years Old

Hate to be the downer again but if you're writing a paper then it's definitely worth mentioning the obvious downsides to this outlook of "preserving childhood favorites" and being a little more critical
11:39 AM on 03/28/13 
User Info.
putbackthestars
Calgary Canada
Male - 23 Years Old
Most influential? I mean that means AP-scene-stuff should automatically be discarded 99% of the time, as shit like American Idiot and other pop-punk and generic-core was just recycled trash by this point.
I think the case could be made for Kanye or Arcade Fire simply because they were so big.
I'd also add Pig Destroyer's Terrifyer I guess, Converge's You Fail Me, Madvillainy is a huge album that needs a mention. Not much else comes to mind... 2004 wasn't particularly big compared to the years right before and after it, in my opinion.

I definitely agree with your statement about 2004 not being particularly big when it came to innovation in music. How do you feel about culture back in the 2003-2005 time period? So far everyone in this thread, and I think a large percentage of the user base of this site is in the 21-23 year old demographic. What defined that time period for you?
11:42 AM on 03/28/13 
User Info.
putbackthestars
Calgary Canada
Male - 23 Years Old
Hate to be the downer again but if you're writing a paper then it's definitely worth mentioning the obvious downsides to this outlook of "preserving childhood favorites" and being a little more critical

The paper certainly isn't glorifying the outlook, it's more an analysis of the user community that AP.net has curated. My argument is that "AbsolutePunk acts as a platform for the preservation of the bands and the musical heroes of days past, and thus has curated a community of encouragement, support, and nostalgia."
11:46 AM on 03/28/13 
User Info.
JulieLynn
Let's Be Alone Together
Westborough, MA
Female - 30 Years Old
Totally, using that for sure.

How do you feel about my above question about the nostalgic nature of the site? I mean it even looks the same as it did when I first joined, and most band icons for news are pictures of their defining records from the 2003-2005 era. Do you think that the site is more geared towards new discovery, or is it more of a place to keep up with bands that we used to love dearly and who have since faded out of the spotlight (JEW is a great example)?

I've been a member since 2006. I came here for one reason at the time. Fall Out boy. But by joining this site, I learned about so many bands I didn't know were out there. For me, its a place to discover new bands while keeping tabs on the old ones, such as JEW, FOB, Paramore, Anberlin.

Jason started this site as a Blink-182 fan site, this place is his baby. I for one love how everything looks the same after 7 years (for me). I has been a long time since I've posted in the threads only because I've been busy with life, I'm older now and a lot of my friends who I met on here aren't around. Most of them are married with kids so they don't have time for this place anymore.

I'm sure there is a place where I could go to get all my music news, but I know that I'll find out things no one even knows about right here. I'll be part of this site until Jason either shuts it down or dies and doesn't leave anyone in charge.
11:50 AM on 03/28/13 
User Info.
JulieLynn
Let's Be Alone Together
Westborough, MA
Female - 30 Years Old
Man I hope you have questions for 2007-2010...those will be easy for me lol.
11:57 AM on 03/28/13 
User Info.
putbackthestars
Calgary Canada
Male - 23 Years Old
I've been a member since 2006. I came here for one reason at the time. Fall Out boy. But by joining this site, I learned about so many bands I didn't know were out there. For me, its a place to discover new bands while keeping tabs on the old ones, such as JEW, FOB, Paramore, Anberlin.

Jason started this site as a Blink-182 fan site, this place is his baby. I for one love how everything looks the same after 7 years (for me). I has been a long time since I've posted in the threads only because I've been busy with life, I'm older now and a lot of my friends who I met on here aren't around. Most of them are married with kids so they don't have time for this place anymore.

I'm sure there is a place where I could go to get all my music news, but I know that I'll find out things no one even knows about right here. I'll be part of this site until Jason either shuts it down or dies and doesn't leave anyone in charge.

This is EXACTLY what I was looking for haha. This place is exactly the same for me. I've never been super involved in posting, but Ive been reading threads since Underoath, MXPX and Anberlin brought me here back in the day. I've always loved how the majority of threads are populated by positive people, who support the bands and search for ways to get involved in their music.

So that 2007-2010 period, I assume that was when you met a lot of these friends and where most involved in the site (and same for me), can you talk about that a little?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos