mat1419
how's this for intense?
User Info.
i really like the maine's cover a lot...the rest was a waste of cd space
08:35 AM on 04/08/08
Poochemist
Not that easy to confuse
User Info.
Good review, thanks for doing this album. I think it's important to have a "long" review for a various artists album because of the huge spread of songs. One or two songs can't be picked out to be representative of the whole album (unless of course ALL the songs suck).
08:36 AM on 04/08/08
Parocks
User Info.
I liked how they did men in black, oh well.
08:41 AM on 04/08/08
I'mARealBoy24
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Still fly is without question the best cover on this cd.....i was surprised it wasn't mentioned in the review at all......say anything's version of ODB is hilarious and very fun to listen....in all i agree with your review, the album isn't too great but there are a few standouts

TDWP, Say Anything, and Scary Kids being those
08:48 AM on 04/08/08
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
Eh. This review is off.

The "Men in Black" cover is fucking awesome, as is "Hey Ya". "California Love" is a great cover, and so is "I Wish". Making it electronic-sounding isn't a bad thing. The song sounds great.

And saying a six-year old song suffers from "overplayed-itis" is pretty ridiculous to say. It's a cover album of popular rap songs so that's an unfair negative of a six-year old song. "Umbrella" makes sense because there's been 23523 covers of it and it's a year old, but not "The Seed 2.0". By that logic, over half the album gets a negative review because the songs are overplayed.

But I'm really not sure how "Men in Black" was ruined. It's barely even a rap song to begin with, it's pretty much pop, with horrific lyrics. It seems nostalgia is blinding there if that's a song that can be "ruined."

Some people seem to be taking the album far too seriously. It's just supposed to be a group of bands covering hip hop songs for fun and it's fun to listen to. My friends and I have had a lot of fun blasting "Men in Black" and "Kryptonite" in the car.

Boy was this a novel to read on my cell phone.

Lets see here, even if MIB was a fuuny song to begin with, it was still catchy and easy to sing along to. Forever the barf kids ruined the flow of the verses and the silly breakdown made me spit milk all over myself. And the fuuny thing is, I don't even drink milk!

"The seed" is old, yeah, but does that mean I haven't heard it a million times? Do people stop playing songs after 5 years? Is that a new rule?

Also, to whoever said the devils wear prada song is terrible: I completely agree. I couldn't figure out a way to critique the song without wearing my big boy pants and yelling at the band.
08:49 AM on 04/08/08
boykosaurus
---
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This album must be terrible.
08:50 AM on 04/08/08
NinjaJew
Grammar Chief
User Info.

Say Anything is the biggest transgressor to this claim. His enunciation of words is just one of the things amongst others that's blatantly over-the-top.
08:50 AM on 04/08/08
boykosaurus
---
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Boy was this a novel to read on my cell phone.

Lets see here, even if MIB was a fuuny song to begin with, it was still catchy and easy to sing along to. Forever the barf kids ruined the flow of the verses and the silly breakdown made me spit milk all over myself. And the fuuny thing is, I don't even drink milk!

"The seed" is old, yeah, but does that mean I haven't heard it a million times? Do people stop playing songs after 5 years? Is that a new rule?

Also, to whoever said the devils wear prada song is terrible: I completely agree. I couldn't figure out a way to critique the song without wearing my big boy pants and yelling at the band.

novel response.
08:55 AM on 04/08/08
Andrew Love
Bravos: America's Team
User Info.
meh
08:57 AM on 04/08/08
HelpMeSleep
fuck what you know.
User Info.
good review. i had a feeling this would not be worth buying the whole album. i want to hear it though. was FTSK's cover of "Men In Black" really that bad?

Fantastic opening paragraph, sir.

Why are people taking shots at the Punk Goes... series? Punk Goes 90s was pretty good, Punk Goes Acoustic was good, Punk Goes 80s was good (Midtown's track is killer). This is a misstep in the franchise, but did anyone really expect this to be a solid release? Granted, I haven't even listened to one song off this, so who am I to say anything bad.

I'm waiting for Punk Goes Punk. I would love to hear artists covering other songs from bands in the genre and reinventing them a la Limbeck's cover of Motion City Soundtrack's "Perfect Teeth".
yeah, i don't get why people are doing that either. i dont think the entire series is bad and i actually love Punk Goes 80s.
08:59 AM on 04/08/08
Coverbydesign
User Info.
the only songs I like off this whole damn cd is MAH,FSTK,NFG and The Maine.Iam gald someone downlaoded this cd and just sent me the file coz good god its not worth what they are selling it for.
09:01 AM on 04/08/08
LikeACat
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
California Love was surprisingly good.
09:10 AM on 04/08/08
Theow593
User Info.
Are you guys serious?

Top 3 covers IMO on the CD

1. I Got Your Money - Say Anything
2. Still Fly - The Devil Wears Prada (great beat and vocals)
3. I Wanna Love You - The Maine
09:13 AM on 04/08/08
boykosaurus
---
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
bbahahahaha
09:17 AM on 04/08/08
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.

novels begat novels

the only songs I like off this whole damn cd is MAH,FSTK,NFG and The Maine.Iam gald someone downlaoded this cd and just sent me the file coz good god its not worth what they are selling it for.

I totally see what you're saying here. Thanks for making it so clear!
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests