Password

Album Review

Chvrches - Recover EP Album Cover

Chvrches - Recover EP

Reviewed by
Chvrches - Recover EP
Record Label: Glassnote
Release Date: March 26, 2013
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Chvrches are a unique type of new band. Whilst most young bands have to put in all of the hard work and the blood, sweat and dollars associated with being a band that does the circuit, Chvrches have somewhat had success thrown at them. The Recover EP, despite being their debut EP, is not a starting post for the band, it's just another step in their path to world domination. When I say "path", of course, I mean, Chvrches' journey up a yellow brick road of indie-electro, where the cobbles include coming fifth on BBC's Sound Of 2013 list and places in both NME and The Huffington Post's best tracks of 2012 list. With all that under their belt, Chvrches have decided to actually release a record. But never fear, instead of unleashing eleven or twelves tracks on the general listening public and possibly exploding all of our brains, they've decided to bless us with the Recover EP - three new songs, and two versions of one of those three songs.

From the first listen to the opening title track, it's somewhat obvious why Chvrches have managed to become such a favourite off the back of two songs (seriously... fame and notoriety after two songs - every band member that tours whilst holding down a day job, look away now). Despite being a fairly basic synth driven track, Chvrches' delivery manages to make it feel so much more important than that. Maybe it's the thick Scottish accent of Lauren Mayberry or the perhaps it’s the way the band skillfully wields the art of simplicity, but Chvrches have crafted an synth-pop anthem. We live in a musical landscape that adores Ellie Goulding, it’s only a matter of time before “Recover” starts scaling the charts. Also, a notable endearing quality of Chvrches (despite the spelling of their name) is the complete lack of pretense. They don’t want to make the listener work hard or come across like uber cool, synth heros. They make poppy, accessible music which is just easy to listen to .

The next two tracks of the EP don’t really match up to the brilliance of the opener. “ZVVL” is memorable, but the tempo is a largely too slow. The majority of the track seems to building up, but it ends in a somewhat disappointing, run of the mill, dubstep chorus-esque breakdown that seems a little unimaginative for a band who clearly have a high amount of ability. “Now Is Not The Time” is better. More of a straight up synth pop song, Mayberry’s vocals are just incredibly delicate and pretty, however the beats are quite run of the mill. It’s catchy as hell, but when compared to the wonder of the opening track, it’s clear Chvrches are capable of a lot more.

The last two tracks of the EP are remixes of the opener. And that’s lovely - but they’re not actually that different from the original. I’m happy to listen to “Recover” again, so no complaints, but they don’t really serve any purpose other than reminding the listener of how awesome the opener was. They’re somewhat like a signpost back to the start of the EP, trying to guide the listener back to repeat listens.

Overall, the Recover EP is a perfect stepping stone in Chvrches’ brick road. Mayberry’s vocals are plain amazing and these guys will probably cause the extinction of humanity when they blow everyone in the world’s minds, by releasing twelve tracks of synth pop gold, but until then we’ll have to settle for this EP. And it’s a pretty good thing to settle for.

Recommended If You LikePurity Ring; The Knife; Fever Ray; The Twilight Sad (but only 'cuz one of the band members used to tour with them)

Additional InformationTrack Listing
1. Recover
2. ZVVL
3. Now Is Not The Time
4. Recover (Cid Rim Remix)
5. Recover (Curxes' 1996 Remix)

Band Members
Iain Cook
Martin Doherty
Lauren Mayberry

7.5/10

Official Site
Facebook

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11
06:39 PM on 04/07/13
Jeff_Ryan
easy come and easy go, whatever
User Info.
I love this band too much
11:34 AM on 04/08/13
syntax omitted
User Info.
Great band.
12:52 PM on 04/08/13
xtbs7645x
User Info.
one of my favorite releases so far this year! I agree with you that Recover is the best track, but I actually feel the opposite of the other two. Zvvl is a really good track, I especially like when Lauren comes in.. their two vocals mix very well. Now Is Not The Time doesn't do too much for me, decent nonetheless. Can't wait for their full length, should be amazing. Also, the singer is too fucking cute :)
03:59 PM on 04/08/13
IPixedYouu
Shake it off
User Info.
Good band. Really like this EP.
08:53 PM on 04/08/13
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
The substitution of u with v makes me happy.
10:27 PM on 04/08/13
plallGetewect
User Info.
12:06 AM on 04/09/13
thesafeword
-
User Info.
I don't really see them being able to make an album's worth of material. These songs are nice enough, but I don't want to hear them 10 times over.
11:42 PM on 04/10/13
xv3bzp
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Farvestrålende ligaturer boot http://myantiquesonline.com/index.ph...ewstory/731232 er pakket i stedet for de adidas sko sædvanlige glatte snørebånd apt mock vandrestøvler. Mesh stoffer tin findes i land, adidas sko ankel og http://test.imkenberg.com/node/2343924 tilbud sneakers tunge dele, der sikrer tilbehør åndbarhed. http://www.scw918.com/bbs/forum.php?...ead&tid=972087 detailhandler MAJOR, det også markerer.
08:01 AM on 04/16/13
IllurnNuH
User Info.
05:32 AM on 04/23/13
chelmon1
User Info.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles