get up kidd
I refuse to sink
User Info.
So much camo
11:18 AM on 04/08/13
bobby runs
I dunno
User Info.
To answer their question no it's not the best freshman class.
11:24 AM on 04/08/13
bowbzzz
User Info.
Curious as to which half you're saying aren't worthy.
Kirko, Travis Scott, Dizzy, Chief Keef (i only say this because I'm from Chicago and there were 7 people from Chicago up for nomination, and this guy was the only one selected -.-), Schoolboy Q (He's already here on the mainstream, would have been a better pick for last year but he's damn worthy of the cover), Trinidad James (people only knew he was less than 6 months ago. too soon to tell.)

I feel like Casey Veggies, Earl (who wasn't even a nominee), Chance the Rapper (i gotta have a chitown pick), mr MFN exquire, and spaceghostpurrp (mainly for his production. his raps are kinda weak but he's been the most under appreciated producer of the year) are people I would have put on there instead. Even ASAP Ferg, Chris Webby, Fat Trel, or flatbush zombies (who also didn't get nominated)l would have been better picks in my opinion. I see why the other made it, but I don't agree.
11:25 AM on 04/08/13
bowbzzz
User Info.
I was thinking the same thing LOL
11:26 AM on 04/08/13
Dre Okorley
User Info.
Kirko, Travis Scott, Dizzy, Chief Keef (i only say this because I'm from Chicago and there were 7 people from Chicago up for nomination, and this guy was the only one selected -.-), Schoolboy Q (He's already here on the mainstream, would have been a better pick for last year but he's damn worthy of the cover), Trinidad James (people only knew he was less than 6 months ago. too soon to tell.)

I feel like Casey Veggies, Earl (who wasn't even a nominee), Chance the Rapper (i gotta have a chitown pick), mr MFN exquire, and spaceghostpurrp (mainly for his production. his raps are kinda weak but he's been the most under appreciated producer of the year) are people I would have put on there instead. Even ASAP Ferg, Chris Webby, Fat Trel, or flatbush zombies (who also didn't get nominated)l would have been better picks in my opinion. I see why the other made it, but I don't agree.
I can agree with this. Except I didn't dig a few songs from Casey Veggie that I heard and I thought MFN ex and Chris Webby were corny, saw Fat Trel live and thought he was just ok. Maybe someone can enlighten me.
11:26 AM on 04/08/13
Dre Okorley
User Info.
To answer their question no it's not the best freshman class.
To answer who's question? No one said it was the best, but given the choices that they picked from for this year they did an alright job. Other issues have had around 3 that I cared about, the rest were trash.
11:31 AM on 04/08/13
Dustin Harkins
Go support Kony 2012 some more
User Info.

I feel like with Earl it's too soon to tell as well just because of a lack of material, but I can get what you're saying. eXquire would've been a good choice. Chance The Rapper definitely should have been but I know they pick who's gonna be on the cover way ahead of time so the hype probably hadn't caught on to them when they were picking. Chance will definitely be one next year if he isn't already too big for it. As for Chris Webby, I don't think he's there yet.
11:31 AM on 04/08/13
Dustin Harkins
User Info.
To answer who's question? No one said it was the best, but given the choices that they picked from for this year they did an alright job. Other issues have had around 3 that I cared about, the rest were trash.
He's talking about the cover since it says "BEST EVER?" haha.
11:34 AM on 04/08/13
Dre Okorley
User Info.
He's talking about the cover since it says "BEST EVER?" haha.
Oh, lol. Forgot about that sorry bobby! haha.

Anyway, it's not the best ever, but it's one of the better ones I've seen.
11:40 AM on 04/08/13
Dustin Harkins
User Info.
Funny looking back and seeing Jay Rock as a freshman before Kendrick, haha.
2008: Lupe Fiasco, Lil Boosie, Joell Ortiz, Plies, Saigon, Rich Boy, Gorilla Zoe, Young Dro, Papoose and Crooked I
2009: B.o.B, Kid Cudi, Curren$y, Wale, Ace Hood, Asher Roth, Mickey Factz, Cory Gunz, Blu and Charles Hamilton
2010: J. Cole, Jay Rock, Wiz Khalifa, Big Sean, Nipsey Hussle, Pill, OJ da Juiceman, Fashawn, Freddie Gibbs and Donnis
2011: Kendrick Lamar, Big K.R.I.T., Mac Miller, Lil B, Yelawolf, Lil Twist, Meek Mill, Cyhi The Prynce, YG, Diggy Simmons and Fred Tha Godson
2012: Danny Brown, Hopsin, Machine Gun Kelly, Macklemore, French Montana, Future, Kid Ink, Don Trip, Iggy Azalea and Roscoe Dash
2013: Ab-Soul, Schoolboy Q, Joey Bada$$, Action Bronson, Dizzy Wright, Angel Haze, Trinidad James, Logic, Kirko Bangz, Travi$ Scott, and Chief Keef
11:46 AM on 04/08/13
bowbzzz
User Info.
I feel like with Earl it's too soon to tell as well just because of a lack of material, but I can get what you're saying. eXquire would've been a good choice. Chance The Rapper definitely should have been but I know they pick who's gonna be on the cover way ahead of time so the hype probably hadn't caught on to them when they were picking. Chance will definitely be one next year if he isn't already too big for it. As for Chris Webby, I don't think he's there yet.
I can fuck with that. Chance isn't too big yet but I can see him blowing up huge this year and being inelligable next year. I don't really know though: he's big in chicago but whenever I go to another city in another state, people ask me who he is. I only put Earl because his skill is undeniable. If Trinidad could get on there with only rapping for 6 months, Earl is more than worth the spot.
11:49 AM on 04/08/13
Dustin Harkins
User Info.
I can fuck with that. Chance isn't too big yet but I can see him blowing up huge this year and being inelligable next year. I don't really know though: he's big in chicago but whenever I go to another city in another state, people ask me who he is. I only put Earl because his skill is undeniable. If Trinidad could get on there with only rapping for 6 months, Earl is more than worth the spot.
You're right about that last part for sure, if Trinidad is eligible Earl should be too, haha.

Chance had SXSW blowing up though, I could definitely see his hype growing. I saw him in a small club there with some C-list Taylor Gang rappers and there were maybe 40-50 people there, and then later that day he played an outdoor showcase and it was so unbelievably full. People are catching on (including myself).
11:51 AM on 04/08/13
bowbzzz
User Info.
Funny looking back and seeing Jay Rock as a freshman before Kendrick, haha.
2008: Lupe Fiasco, Lil Boosie, Joell Ortiz, Plies, Saigon, Rich Boy, Gorilla Zoe, Young Dro, Papoose and Crooked I
2009: B.o.B, Kid Cudi, Curren$y, Wale, Ace Hood, Asher Roth, Mickey Factz, Cory Gunz, Blu and Charles Hamilton
2010: J. Cole, Jay Rock, Wiz Khalifa, Big Sean, Nipsey Hussle, Pill, OJ da Juiceman, Fashawn, Freddie Gibbs and Donnis
2011: Kendrick Lamar, Big K.R.I.T., Mac Miller, Lil B, Yelawolf, Lil Twist, Meek Mill, Cyhi The Prynce, YG, Diggy Simmons and Fred Tha Godson
2012: Danny Brown, Hopsin, Machine Gun Kelly, Macklemore, French Montana, Future, Kid Ink, Don Trip, Iggy Azalea and Roscoe Dash
2013: Ab-Soul, Schoolboy Q, Joey Bada$$, Action Bronson, Dizzy Wright, Angel Haze, Trinidad James, Logic, Kirko Bangz, Travi$ Scott, and Chief Keef
that's cause jay rock has been rapping a lot longer than Kendrick. He also started gaining traction too late for the 2010 class.

But for real, look at 2008. Dumb picks. Even 2009 wasn't that good minus Kid Cudi and Curren$y. All of those other artists have either fallen off or didn't hit their peak until years later (wale in 2011, Ace Hood today, B.O.B. flipped his style from a good rapper to more of a pop star.) They're gross. They were pretty on about 2012 though- minus kid ink and don trip.
12:06 PM on 04/08/13
Cameronisonfire
I want my toast with butter and jam
User Info.
12:10 PM on 04/08/13
Dustin Harkins
User Info.
that's cause jay rock has been rapping a lot longer than Kendrick. He also started gaining traction too late for the 2010 class.

But for real, look at 2008. Dumb picks. Even 2009 wasn't that good minus Kid Cudi and Curren$y. All of those other artists have either fallen off or didn't hit their peak until years later (wale in 2011, Ace Hood today, B.O.B. flipped his style from a good rapper to more of a pop star.) They're gross. They were pretty on about 2012 though- minus kid ink and don trip.
Yeah I understand it. It's just funny in hindsight, that's all haha.

2012 was pretty spot on though. Maybe not my favorite picks by any means but it was very accurate.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests