AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.

Atreyu - 03.17.08

Interviewed by: Julia Conny (04/21/08)
With a new album, Lead Sails Paper Anchors, doing well on the charts and the Taste of Chaos tour nearing a close, it's time that Atreyu should take a well-deserved break, right? Well, not exactly. Guitarist Dan Jacobs chats with AP.net about where they've gone with this album, where they're headed, and what his new project, Rokk Clothing, has in the works.

First of all, can you, for the record, say you name and what you play in Atreyu?

Dan: My name is Dan Jacobs and I play guitar.

How are you feeling now? How is the tour going?

Dan: It's doing great.

Are you tired yet?

Dan: A little bit. It wears on you, but it's good times. We've been on it for awhile so I'm already familiarized with it. Makes it a little bit easier.

I'd like to jump right into Lead Sails Paper Anchors. Let's talk about what you were trying to do with the album. I know that this was a lot different that your previous work.

Dan:
Sure.

Take it away. Tell me what you want.

Dan:
With every record, we try to experiment a little bit more and try to do a few things that weren't on the past records, you know. Especially with this record we jumped out a little bit more and expanded our sound a little bit more. More so for the future just to show that we can do whatever we want. We don't want to limit ourselves to one particular exact style. Soft to heavy to fast to slow, whatever, you know.

Were you nervous at all that you were going to alienate some of your fans?

Dan: It's kind of like, screw it, to an extent. Because every record you put out, everyone's gonna have their favorite record. You can't please everyone. You always keep that in mind - to put something out that you're stoked on. You're gonna lose fans, you're gonna gain fans. It levels out.

Absolutely. And this album is doing great on the charts, so that's just a sign that people are getting it.

Let's talk about metalcore. What's metalcore to you?

Dan: I don't know. I mean I guess it's heavy music that has melody in it, I guess. Ha. i guess it's just the type that's been slapped on all these bands right now, the heavier ones.

Do you think that you're trying to stray away from that genre?

Dan: To an extent. Not any genre in particular we're trying to stray away from. We just want to be ourselves. We don't want people to hear us and say, "Oh, they sound just like this band." We want people to hear us and say, "Oh, that's Atreyu, that's definitely Atreyu and not anybody else."

When you knew you were going to record the new album, did you have these new ideas set? Or did you go into the studio and let it unfold from there?

Dan: A little bit of both. There were a lot of ideas where we were like, all right, this is our opportunity to just go to town and try out new crazy stuff. Even in the studio, there's always ideas that until everything starts to come together you don't even realize you would have come up with that idea until it just pops in. Oh! The song sound like this? Well we could add this too and make it even more...

Can you give us an example of something you would never thought to use, but it ended up working really well.

Dan: Josh Todd of Buck Cherry on the song "Blow". We would have never thought to have him in there, but we just jokingly thought to have him on the record. We could picture him on the song singing it, and it coincidentally worked out that he ending up being on the record. It was really random.

Hollywood Records. You guys are on a new label now, and you used to be on Victory Records. Do you think that this album was something you wouldn't have as much freedom with if you were on Victory still? I read a quote that said, "This album is 100% Atreyu." Do you think that might not have been the case if you were still working with Victory?

Dan: No, I mean, I think this record would have sounded this way no matter what. The only thing Victory really held us back on was, well, everything really. They were just dead weight. We needed something to uplift us, and Hollywood was definitely that.

How did you guys hook-up with Hollywood?

Dan: They've actually been following us around for a very long time. They were the only label that had an interest in us. The owner Bob Cavallo, he used to manage Prince and Green Day in his prime. This dude has some stories. He's the man. And he would personally come out to the show, and this is a powerful dude, and watch us without us even knowing he was there. And then a year later, he would be like, "Oh, you know that one show when you played this, and you were doing this. That was great." This dude actually knows us. He isn't hiring a bunch of people to throw a bunch of bands on his label. They really took the time to check us out and get to know us and know all this stuff about us.

I want to talk about Orange County. All I know about it, and I think most people are in the same boat as me, is what I see on television. So what is it all about? Was it hard for you guys to get started there. It is perceived correctly on television?

Dan: Hmm, yes and no. Are you referring to like, the O.C.?

Ha, yes.

Dan: It is like that, but only in certain areas. In all of Orange County, maybe 15 to 20 percent is like that. The rest is a typical city, or whatever. There is a big pop-punk scene, but the hardcore scene, any scene is just huge there. We never fit into perfectly into the hardcore scene because we did have a melodic side, but it was the best starting point for us because we did have screaming. I dunno, it's always been a big scene and they're always looking for something new. Avenged and Thrice ... so many bands have come out of there.

You have a song on the album called "Can't Happen Here", and it's a political song. Can you tell us more about it?

Dan: Especially with the time right now, it's appropriate to write something like that. It's basically about if you think about what's going on over there, people going into people's houses, just march into somebody's country and start taking their shit, doing whatever. But if someone came over here and did that, we'd flip our lid. It's a little bit harder see when you're on the other side of the page. So we just wrote a song about it.

Do you think you'll pursue more on the political lines?

Dan: Not really. We're not really into politics. It seemed appropriate for that particular song.

You have a clothing line right now. Tell me about it. Do you want to take it as far as you can?

Dan: Of course! A lot of clothing companies come to bands and they want to give you free stuff to represent. Not to knock the companies that have given us stuff, but I've never seen one that did exactly what I'm into, like if I had a company, that's what I would make. Every once in awhile, I'll see a cool shirt like that, but not a company that makes just those shirts. I've learned so much by watching how my band does stuff and it's not that hard. It's not easy, and there's a lot to it, but I have all the connections because I've been doing this for years now, and I know freakin' everybody, haha. I might as well to up and work my way from there. I have a website, Bringtherokk.com. Or myspace.com/rokkclothing. And you can also get it at select Hot Topics.

You guys have been together since 1998. So you've been on the road a lot. From what I hear it's rough. It's not a pretty picture every day. Do you feel that over the years it's become easier, maybe between balancing you family and home life to what's going on here on the road?

Dan: To an extent. Maybe you just get a little bit more numb to it. You kind of learn what works and what doesn't work. Once you've been around the world a couple times, you see this is what I need to take here and need to take there. You figure out means of communication with your family and friends. It gets a little difficult with just the fact that you've away from home for six to nine months a year. Family, friends, wives, girlfriends. You just want to be home sometimes, you know. You gotta keep on, keep on.

Has there ever been a point in your band's career that you just wanted to throw in the towel?

Dan: Lots of times. But I think that challenge is what makes or breaks, and separates the men from the boys. If you can push on and get through to the other side that's legit. For a lot of people, it breaks for. For a lot of bands, that's why they fall apart.

What's next for you guys? Do you have any big plans up in 2008?

Dan: Yes, lots of plans. I can't say were doing the summer. It's a big tour. I can't say which tour it is.

Hmm, I wonder what it could be.

Dan: Ha, yeah. We're doing a tour in Australia with Bullet [For My Valentine] and Avenged Sevenfold. A whole bunch of radio shows and stuff like that.

Any last words for AbsolutePunk.net?

Dan: Just thanks to anyone who supports us, and thanks for coming out to the shows.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 21.
07:37 PM on 04/21/08
ACA
Next Show: Silverstein @ NYC 4/25
User Info.
I read all of that, but it doesn't change the fact that they put out a horrible album after putting out two very cool ones (Suicide and Death-Grip) and a decent one. Oh well, just another band I grew up with that once had balls that I don't have any desire to see anymore.

-ACA
08:13 PM on 04/21/08
Kgod
I disagree!
User Info.
I enjoyed the interview, and Jacob seems like a real cool, down to earth kinda dude.

As for the last album, I dont think it has any songs that are quite as good as the ones previously released. But its different enough where i can enjoy it, and not think its a better or worse version of thier older stuff.
08:44 PM on 04/21/08
pi_who
pi_who
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
the guy above me says "once had the balls". saying that pretty much says you don't have the balls, nuts, guts, or spine to put yourself in someone else's shoes. A lot has happened in that last 7 years since Atreyu helped other great bands of the time bring "core", whether it be hard, metal, grind, etc. into the clubs and ipods across the globe.

Look at the so-called hardcore that has evolved. I'm not gonna trash any band doing there thing right now, but has anything interesting happened in the remaining days/years of this phenomena? Honestly...No. The only people pushing the envelope are the ones that were doing it since the beginning. And in the end, they're all just doing what Glassjaw and Refused were doing back in '93.

But honestly, what were you listening to in 1st Grade? How about 7th grade? 9th? I'm sure you don't exactly flaunt your favorite band from back then just like i don't flaunt around the fact that i might have liked Creed when i was in 8th Grade. Ok, when you were first into your hardcore genre, how many other genres did you swear to annihilate that you now find anywhere from tolerable to amazing? Point being, you have changed. And i bet you're proud of how cultured and musically diverse you can now brag about being, but you're ignorance to accept that an artist can do the same thing just lost you those points.

Also, one thing that brings another layer to an artist's choice to be different and expand is the one thing that they have been blessed with: talent. They have musical taste just like anybody else, but the fact that they have talent and the opportunity to share it earns them the right to be the trendsetters and not you. saying someone "doesn't have balls" to make the same album a billion times is hardly a prolific statement.

Listen to a Dan Jacobs/Travis Miguel solo from "Suicide Notes" and compare it to one from "Lead Sails". There is a difference. Listen to a Brandon Saller melody, a Marc McKnight bass riff, an Alex Varkatzas scream or his newly added singing voice. The talent has excelled. They aren't the same kids that started a high school band with acne and emo issues. Like acne, you outgrow your emo and you're need to talk about your broken heart all the time. and like emo, you outgrow your generic t-pattern chord progressions, your blast beats, and your sweaty make-up that only causes more acne.

Atreyu has always been the band they are now. It was hardcore music and 3 albums that taught them that. I don't blame them for change. Metal and hardcore acts are a dime a dozen, a needle in a stack of needles. And like our moms and dads have been saying for years: "they all sound the same"...now. I'm not saying there isn't talent in our line-up of new metal/harcore bands these, but no one is exactly trying anything noticeably different. "But we got screaming verses and singing choruses"....oh so, you're like Atreyu. "But we got a keyboardist who also lays down some sick samples"...oh, so you're like Underoath. "Our singer can do this crazy half singing, half screaming thing"...oh you're Glassjaw.

Knock-offs. No one wants to be associated with them. Knock-off shoes and sunglasses, I get it. You can pass it for the real thing. Knock-off music will always sound like the originators. In short, i have no problem with a band doing something different. That takes ALL the balls knowing that you might be losing fans. Why associate yourself with peers and colleagues that make you look "generic"? That doesn't take balls at all. Maybe just a low IQ and a few too many sniffs of that Sharpie you've been waiting to sign all those autographs with.
09:01 PM on 04/21/08
dissident
the true stroker ace
User Info.
easy fella.
09:04 PM on 04/21/08
Nolessthanblink
Are you watching closely?
User Info.
Is Ozzfest happening this year? If so, that's my guess for the tour. Too bad it's not Warped.
10:02 PM on 04/21/08
Dan1234
User Info.
the guy above me says "once had the balls". saying that pretty much says you don't have the balls, nuts, guts, or spine to put yourself in someone else's shoes. A lot has happened in that last 7 years since Atreyu helped other great bands of the time bring "core", whether it be hard, metal, grind, etc. into the clubs and ipods across the globe.

Look at the so-called hardcore that has evolved. I'm not gonna trash any band doing there thing right now, but has anything interesting happened in the remaining days/years of this phenomena? Honestly...No. The only people pushing the envelope are the ones that were doing it since the beginning. And in the end, they're all just doing what Glassjaw and Refused were doing back in '93.

But honestly, what were you listening to in 1st Grade? How about 7th grade? 9th? I'm sure you don't exactly flaunt your favorite band from back then just like i don't flaunt around the fact that i might have liked Creed when i was in 8th Grade. Ok, when you were first into your hardcore genre, how many other genres did you swear to annihilate that you now find anywhere from tolerable to amazing? Point being, you have changed. And i bet you're proud of how cultured and musically diverse you can now brag about being, but you're ignorance to accept that an artist can do the same thing just lost you those points.

Also, one thing that brings another layer to an artist's choice to be different and expand is the one thing that they have been blessed with: talent. They have musical taste just like anybody else, but the fact that they have talent and the opportunity to share it earns them the right to be the trendsetters and not you. saying someone "doesn't have balls" to make the same album a billion times is hardly a prolific statement.

Listen to a Dan Jacobs/Travis Miguel solo from "Suicide Notes" and compare it to one from "Lead Sails". There is a difference. Listen to a Brandon Saller melody, a Marc McKnight bass riff, an Alex Varkatzas scream or his newly added singing voice. The talent has excelled. They aren't the same kids that started a high school band with acne and emo issues. Like acne, you outgrow your emo and you're need to talk about your broken heart all the time. and like emo, you outgrow your generic t-pattern chord progressions, your blast beats, and your sweaty make-up that only causes more acne.

Atreyu has always been the band they are now. It was hardcore music and 3 albums that taught them that. I don't blame them for change. Metal and hardcore acts are a dime a dozen, a needle in a stack of needles. And like our moms and dads have been saying for years: "they all sound the same"...now. I'm not saying there isn't talent in our line-up of new metal/harcore bands these, but no one is exactly trying anything noticeably different. "But we got screaming verses and singing choruses"....oh so, you're like Atreyu. "But we got a keyboardist who also lays down some sick samples"...oh, so you're like Underoath. "Our singer can do this crazy half singing, half screaming thing"...oh you're Glassjaw.

Knock-offs. No one wants to be associated with them. Knock-off shoes and sunglasses, I get it. You can pass it for the real thing. Knock-off music will always sound like the originators. In short, i have no problem with a band doing something different. That takes ALL the balls knowing that you might be losing fans. Why associate yourself with peers and colleagues that make you look "generic"? That doesn't take balls at all. Maybe just a low IQ and a few too many sniffs of that Sharpie you've been waiting to sign all those autographs with.

you sure did type alot dawg
10:38 PM on 04/21/08
pi_who
pi_who
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
you sure did type alot dawg

well dudes and chicks talk a heavy game but don't back up anything they say with good reasons and points. most people on these forums are just a bunch of babies that like to use the word "fuck" and expect that to be the opening statement of every argument.
10:38 PM on 04/21/08
symbiote28
Be Human
User Info.
i like Lead Sails Paper Anchor ..
10:54 PM on 04/21/08
just_farrah
User Info.

Amen.
11:15 PM on 04/21/08
foisol
EST 1986
User Info.

TL;DR
11:34 PM on 04/21/08
Co and Ca
What are you doing here?
User Info.
I never liked Atreyu. Even when I liked screaming music back in the day, I could never get into them. Good interview though.
11:35 PM on 04/21/08
Jet Set Paul
User Info.
Rokk clothing is a joke.

The t-shirt designs are boring, and they are waaay too expensive. Dan, you're a rock star, not a fashion designer.

Please remember that.
09:40 AM on 04/22/08
hipvee43
User Info.

u want to talk about knock-offs? well i found a knock-off avenged sevenfold...

ATREYU
01:42 PM on 04/22/08
sonicfury
User Info.
u want to talk about knock-offs? well i found a knock-off avenged sevenfold...

ATREYU

Ummm... no
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums