AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Serianna - 04.22.13

Serianna - 04.22.13

Interviewed by
Serianna - 04.22.13Recently, I had a chance to chat with Drummer Chris Ferraro of Serianna via email, as well as check out the band's rowdy performance while they made a rare appearance in Corvallis, OR. Look for a brand new record from the band in 2013.

Last time you talked with us, you mentioned that you parted with the Milbrandt brothers in August of 2012. How has the morale of the band changed since they left?

Chris Ferraro: Much, much more positive.

You mentioned they spent a large amount of time focusing on social media and building up follower counts. In your eyes, what are the pros and cons of social media, especially when it directly affects your band?

Chris Ferraro: Yeah, that was a huge focus for them. There's nothing wrong with social media, if fact it's a great thing. In my opinion it can be abused and exploited to look like it's something it's not. Social media is a obviously a great way to connect with friends and fans and make it easier to reach new people we wouldn't have otherwise. On the flip side, I strongly disagree with "follow spamming" on any social site to gain followers that don't really care about your music at all. At that point, you turn your fans into numbers. In the end, you're really only lying to yourself, thinking that you are more popular than you really are. I real fan is not a number, follow, or a like. They are part of a movement, a scene, and a family. I refuse to lie about things like that, It doesn't do anything for anyone.

Can you describe your experience writing new music since the split? I understand you're able to constructively criticize each other better, correct?

Chris Ferraro: The writing process has been incredible since then. We have been able to really do our best to step outside of the "metal-core" box and see what else we can do. I won't say we are doing anything revolutionary or game changing. We are just writing music that we love to write, play, and listen to.

When can we expect a new album to come out? What will set this album apart from your last one?

Chris Ferraro: It's looking like it will be coming out this summer. We are just really trying to pick the right time with our tour schedule to release the album. Define Me is different in the sense that it has feeling! The music is more organic and real. Inheritors was a fun album to play, but where the music excelled at skill wise, lacked in any feeling at all. I feel like that's why bands are really trying to step out of the metal-core niche that is literally everywhere lately. There's a lot more singing on this record, but a lot more angry and heavy when it feels right.

You have a new single out, "Deadweight", to help tide us over until the new album comes out. What can you can you tell us about the song, both musically and lyrically? Is it an indication of what fans can expect to hear on the new record?

Chris Ferraro: "Deadweight" was a bit of a gap closer for us. We were tired of the rumors/lies from former members and their followers that we were breaking up, so we wanted to put out a song to show that we are still working and still moving forward. Which is exactly what the song is about. It is about moving forward from things that are nothing but deadweight in your life. People are afraid of change, even if it is better for everyone in the long run. This song is different, melodic, and heavy. A lot of it was to see what fans would respond best to for the new album. The response was great! I can't wait to see what people think about our new material.

In the song, there's a line that states "I have been down, but down count me out" - what keeps you going in hard times, both personally and as a band?

Chris Ferraro: My bandmates/friends/fans, my family, and my lady. Haha, I know it's cheesy! but they keep me sane. They have LITERALLY saved my life countless times. Their endless support and willingness to help me when I need it keep me moving forward no matter what. As a band, we have each other. We are best friends doing what we love, for people that we love, regardless of cost or time. We keep each other afloat with money, food, and support...we even keep each other in check if need be. I don't know what I would do if I lost any one of the people I mentioned. They are my world.

Is this upcoming record your last with Bullet Tooth, or do you have more?

Chris Ferraro: Nope! we have more with Bullet Tooth.

If you could change anything about the music scene, what would you change? Furthermore, what steps are needed to implement this change?

Chris Ferraro: I guess when I was younger, I felt like there was more a of a scene. Kids seemed to care more about music and less about popularity or fame. I feel like now days, kids care more about the "superstars" of bands...not the actual bands themselves. I can't complain though! every scene is different, as long as kids still listen with open minds, I am happy!

Something that I found interesting was that your guitarist, Rocky, is an accomplished photographer. Have people come to know about your band through his work? Does it help alleviate the pressure to hire someone else out for press photos?

Chris Ferraro: Yes, Rocky is an incredible photographer. I'm sure a few people have! I think that will come as he photos bands we tour with and locals that are on shows we play. YES! It's so so so much easier to take promos when we can just say "hey, want to shoot some photos?" His work is incredible, we are very fortunate to have him as a part of our family and team.

What albums have you been listening to lately? What albums have you listened to as a band?

Chris Ferraro: I have been obsessed with A$AP Rocky hah. I know that's not very metal of me, but I can't help it. That dude is really really good. We listen to a lot of Katy Perry, the Story So Far, Blink 182, and Steel Panther hahah.

The famous German philosopher Frederich Nietzsche once said "Without music, life would be a mistake". Do you agree or disagree with this statement? Explain your reasoning.

Chris Ferraro: I strongly agree, although I wouldn't use the word "mistake." Music is so much more than sound for some people. It can be there for you when there's no one else, It can help you feel when you feel nothing, It can speak for you when you can't find any words to say, and it can show you that you are not alone. That someone you have never met and probably never will, feels the same way that you do. I don't know what my life would be without music, but I am glad I won't have to find out!

Anything else you'd like to add?
Chris Ferraro: We will be shooting a music video for our single, with much more info on the album release than I have currently. So please keep an eye out and help us spread the word of our new album soon!

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7
05:19 PM on 04/22/13
killbrand.com
Ezekiel 36: 26-28
User Info.
Nice interview. I liked Deadweight more then their previous releases.
02:15 PM on 04/24/13
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
User Info.
Nice interview. I liked Deadweight more then their previous releases.

Same here, Inheritors was a solid metalcore/thrash CD but Deadweight is a 5 star song for me.
02:15 PM on 04/24/13
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
User Info.
Guy seems genuine and well spoken.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT