Username
Password
Contest News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Contest
Inside AP.net

AP.net Contest: Skate + Surf Ticket Giveaway

Posted by: Drew Beringer (04/30/13)
Holy crap, we're only two and half weeks from the return of the Skate and Surf Festival, so how about we give away another pair of tickets to the jamboree in New Jersey on May 18th and 19th. To win this pair, tell me your favorite memories from earlier versions of the Skate and Surf fest. Or if you haven't been before, tell me why the return of this festival is so important to the scene? Give it your best shot n the replies and I'll pick my favorite answer tomorrow. Good luck!

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 25
09:49 AM on 04/30/13
P_T_W
Rock and or Roll.
User Info.
Skate and Surf 2004, Taking Back Sunday does a surprise acoustic set before the doors open on Saturday. The whole line up the boardwalk stampeeds to the little stage outside the gate where they open with a cover of "just like heaven" by The Cure.
09:51 AM on 04/30/13
windmillguy
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I havent been to this festival yet, but why im so psyched for it is that your gonna get people who arent huge into the posthardcore/metalcore scene who will be exposed to some of the bands and hopefully turn fans into them. It also gives smaller not as popular bands a chance to get exposed to people who are really there for ADTR or FOB and will again make fans out of them. It's a great chance to make our scene much bigger.
09:51 AM on 04/30/13
scubacougar
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
because bamboozle is gone now and there is need of festival redemption
09:56 AM on 04/30/13
cp1010
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I would say Serge from the Early Novemeber going nuts and stage diving while playing Every Night is Another Story.
10:11 AM on 04/30/13
Xiegfried
Reconnect This
User Info.
I've never had the opportunity to go, but the reason that it's so important to the scene for me is that it really brings the entire scene together. No matter how big or small the band is, whether you're a musician or a fan, everyone comes together for a festival. Everyone can feel at home and see some of their favorite "legends," for lack of a better term (Fall Out Boy, Saves The Day, etc.), and new favorites, like Balance and Composure and Hostage Calm. It shows how big of a community there is and makes everyone feel like they belong somewhere.
10:12 AM on 04/30/13
Bdawg
User Info.
I have never been to Skate and Surf, but I went to Bamboozle last year. It was a great experience, but there was something extra special about the bands on the Zumiez Stage. This stage hosted the bands that are closer to the scene than the majority of who was on main stage. The story so far, bayside, and motion city soundtrack were a few of the bands on the Zumiez Stage. The passion from the crowds for this stage was unmatched, especially with The Story So Far playing all three days. It was great to see a band like them put on killer sets at such a big festival. Skate and Surf provides great opportunities for bands like Balance and Composure, Into it. Over it., state champs, and candy hearts to play a big name show that reaches new ears. It's also great that bigger bands like Fall Out Boy, A Day to Remember, and Saves the Day will bring crowds of devoted fans that may fall in love with someone like into it. over it. Skate and Surf fest creates the perfect platform for the newer bands to do something big, and it allows them to spread their art to even more listeners. The Story So Far playing Bamboozle was a huge reason why I love them today. I hope people who attend Skate and Surf can have a similar experience and find music that will resonate in their lives forever.
10:36 AM on 04/30/13
grgmshngtn
User Info.
It is important to the scene to promote smaller name bands that need exposure to show how great they are and how much they can contribute to the scene. The big headliners are there to reel in the crowds and then the smaller name bands are there to support each other and spread their music to the fans and crowds of people and get known. So many bands that perform at Bamboozle, Warped Tour or Skate n Surf have blown up because of playing at these types of festivals and actually get the recognition they deserve. Festivals like these are crucial to promoting bands and keeping our scene alive. The festival is like a living tree, the headliners make up the trunk and the bark of the tree, they are the base of the tree. The branches are like the supporting acts and other bands playing the festivals. Now the flowers and leaves on the tree are there to fall down and plant the seed of music on the ground which we, the fans are. They inspire us to hopefully play at the festival one day and the cycle continues and keeps this whole scene alive. Can't wait for skate n surf
11:08 AM on 04/30/13
fulltiltxb00gie
Mamihlapinatapai.
User Info.
If you wanna give me until Friday, I can submit a historypin.com collection explaining the significance of the musical influence Asbury Park. They kinda screwed me over in switching the location but I'm still stoked on this project.
11:29 AM on 04/30/13
tbarkerfan182
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I've never been to Skate and Surf but I have gone to the last two Bamboozle festivals in New Jersey. The way they were set up was pretty well run. However with the main stage acts at Bamboozle they were defiantly filled more arena type artists and not a lot of medium sized bands and artists. Skate and Surf is a music festival that is aimed at smaller bands that are still growing in the scene and also gives them the chance to expand their fanbase. The festival also has a huge amount of diversity compared to other festivals that just showcase different bands of the same genre, as they have performers like Hopsin and T. Mills playing alongside bands like Beartooth and Glassjaw. Overall the whole festival brings a lot of the music scene together, as I remember last year seeing Buddy from Senses Fail doing stage work over at the Zumiez stage with The Story So Far and seeing a huge line for fans waiting to see Brand New at the Stone Pony. This festival truly helps showcase well known bands in the scene, it also allows fans the opportunity to expand their musical taste and help discover new and upcoming artists that most fans wouldn't have the opportunity to see.
11:34 AM on 04/30/13
pinheadrandy
User Info.
i wanna ride the roller coasters.
11:47 AM on 04/30/13
WhiteMamba
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I want to be able to meet the Flash inside Six Flags and challenge him to a race....while Balance & Composure plays the background music.
12:59 PM on 04/30/13
battalionaffair
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I have one memory I unfortunately remember in vivid detail. It was the day after my high school prom. Of course, my friends and I had drank copious amounts of alcohol the night before. Our friend Tom, who was known for telling us how he had a very small penis (side note), was driving us down. Our friend Davey Jones was suffering from a serious case of extreme hangover. I was passed out in the back with Davey Jones. We were about halfway down the garden state parkway when I woke up to the sound of Davey Jones puking all over Tom. Tom's natural reaction for some reason was to surve across three lanes to pull over to side of the road, nearly killing us. He then ran quickly out of the car, took off his shirt and pants, and threw them into the woods. He got back in the car and continued to drive acting as if nothing happened. Davey Jones ended up buying Tom new clothes at the next rest stop. Despite the gross and somewhat unfortunate events that occurred. I managed to stay scott free of the splash zone, and got a solid laugh and story out of it.
01:02 PM on 04/30/13
rawrmufasarawr
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
well in new jersey there is barely anything to do around here. so im really excited for this :3 Austin Carlile is one of my very few idols so the possibility of riding a roller coaster with him is like :OOOO ive never been to skate and surf but my sister has and we used to be really close and she told me about it and now she like hates me so if I win I can give her a ticket so she can go with me hopefully :3 im scared of roller coasters but im willing to go for these bands :3 bye <3
02:15 PM on 04/30/13
shikalove
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Sadly, I've never been before, but I think the festival is puts New Jersey on the map in a good way. In recent years, we've been Jersey Shore, we've had the unfortunate decline of Bamboozle, and Skate and Surf has a pretty great lineup, with everything from FOB, who are coming off a 3 year hiatus, to Macklemore & Ryan Lewis who were basically unknown until this past year. Festivals like Skate and Surf that bring together fans of such different genres with ease are pretty much the best things ever.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests