Username
Password

Album Review - Page 8
Displaying posts 105 - 120 of 137.
04:11 PM on 06/14/13
hadriel
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This album is incredible. Obviously not a 10, but this is easily my favorite of the year so far. Still can't decide of I prefer this over Roads to Judah yet, they're both so different but superb in their own respects. With that being said its definitely not an album everyone will enjoy.
12:39 PM on 06/15/13
Viva Sonata
javadeer.tumblr.com
User Info.
Good review, good album. Obviously not a 10/10 for me, so I think the review could've done without the phrase:

"and indisputably the best album you’ll hear this year."

Being biased is one thing, but pushing it on readers is entirely different. Other than that, good stuff!
Awwwwww shit the bear's comin out
08:35 PM on 06/15/13
xapplexpiex
&.&
User Info.
People complaining about the vocals must not listen to a lot of heavy stuff.

I'm listening on Spotify and like this a lot. What other bands like this should I check out?
04:15 AM on 06/17/13
EndSerenading
we were born for battle
User Info.
Their last album did not do much for me. I liked it OK but not nearly as much as some and I wouldn't have really called myself a "fan."

Fast forward to this album and it's an instant classic in my eyes after 1 listen when it came out last week. I seriously even doubted listening to it because the last album got tons of praise heaped on it and I was disappointed. I saw lots of praise for this one as well decided to at least give the stream a shot and was floored. I bought the album after 1 song and then continued listening haha.

The juxtaposition of his vocals with the music absolutely make this record.

A 10/10 is not unreasonable for this record, even if you weren't already a fan. Personally for me it is a 9/10.
05:05 AM on 06/17/13
EndSerenading
we were born for battle
User Info.
Anyway, I like the sound of this band a lot. The thing is, for me, the vocals don't add anything to / don't even fit the music.

It's not because I can't understand them all. Let's take MBV's as an example. While I don't get most of them, they are perfect for the dreamy ambience.

The vocals add a TON to this album and are the perfect pair in my opinion. On top of the already phenomenal mix of music, the vocals really tip the scale toward something that feels fresh, even if the individual elements that make up this album are somewhat familiar on their own terms.
12:44 PM on 06/17/13
pinkfrosty
Does not give a fuck
User Info.
now I know what the hell that sticker Deathwish sent me was all about. Metal's not really my thing but I'll check 'em out.
03:19 PM on 06/17/13
theherox
Hi, I'm Alexander #2
User Info.
all reviews are biased. I am definitely a fan. Great comment.
hey, what are the other 2 or so best albums from the past 5 or so years that you referred to? highly curious
03:24 PM on 06/17/13
jordalsh
twitter.com/Jordalsh
User Info.
hey, what are the other 2 or so best albums from the past 5 or so years that you referred to? highly curious
Bon Iver, Bon Iver and My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy.
03:26 PM on 06/17/13
theherox
Hi, I'm Alexander #2
User Info.
Bon Iver, Bon Iver and My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy.
so by past 5 years he meant past 3? haha

poo, I was hoping for more interesting choices than those, but fair enough
07:51 PM on 06/19/13
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
After finding this record difficult to get into the past month plus due to not really being used to this kind of vocals, I finally gave it a listen to with headphones on the other day while it was kind of dark and all that and I finally got/get it. Beautiful record. Have been playing it just about nonstop since.
04:18 AM on 06/20/13
theherox
Hi, I'm Alexander #2
User Info.
I honestly wasn't sure what to expect, and iTunes clips gave me the feeling I'd hate it,

but NOW

listening to it all the way through

this album is utterly fantastic.
04:19 AM on 06/20/13
theherox
Hi, I'm Alexander #2
User Info.
After finding this record difficult to get into the past month plus due to not really being used to this kind of vocals, I finally gave it a listen to with headphones on the other day while it was kind of dark and all that and I finally got/get it. Beautiful record. Have been playing it just about nonstop since.
I'm pretty much at the start of this exact same process, feeling the same way before and the same way after
03:01 PM on 06/20/13
jasonisasleep
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
love it
10:03 AM on 06/23/13
navidson
User Info.
Love the drums, and can appreciate that these chaps are very good, technically minded musicians, but the song lengths and tuneless vocals make this album a bit of a struggle for me.

It's the same feeling I got when I put on 'Jane Doe' for the first time thanks to the hype, and thought 'What the hell is this high-pitched screeching ruining everything underneath it?

Just one thing - The lyrics (when written down) appear to be very good, but is it really possible to make out what he's saying during each song? Maybe it's just my ears, or I'm just getting old!
04:51 PM on 06/23/13
syntax omitted
User Info.
Enjoying this a lot, but unfortunately not to the extent I thought I might. I think it's a certain time-and-place kind of album, maybe.

Anyway, I think if people like this, people might enjoy the band *Shels. Check out the album Plains of the Purple Buffalo.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums