Username
Password
Fall Out Boy News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Fall Out Boy
Inside AP.net

Joe Trohman Posts Blog About Shows

Posted by: Jason Tate (06/24/13)
Joe Trohman from Fall Out Boy has posted a blog about his history with shows and what perplexes him about shows, and fan expectations, today.
There has been a considerable amount of chatter lately from some Fall Out Boy fans in regard to what we, as a band, do with our time after we play a show for you guys. Certain folks feel entitled to certain things. What is expected out of us, past a great rock show, seems to perplex me.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 114.
11:21 AM on 06/24/13
emmx8D
Thanks Daaaaaaaaaan
User Info.
Good read. This was my favorite part, it put it all into perspective:

Quote:
To see that, for some of you, it isn’t enough is…well…it’s kind of sad. Listen, I understand wanting to meet the members of a band you really, truly love. I appreciate it too. But is that the whole reason you came to see us? Would it be better if we didn’t play and we just did a really long meet and greet? Is that really the point of it all?
11:27 AM on 06/24/13
zachff
is Dalton Russell
User Info.
I more or less agreed with everything that he wrote. I've never waited around after a show to meet a band. I think when you're younger you have this fantasy that you'll meet them after a show, you'll say something witty about a TV show you both like then fast forward three years later and every time they play your city you're meeting up with them for a burger and drinks after their shows.

The only part that irked me was the line
Quote:
We play an hour and a half a night.
I'm not saying that 90 minutes isn't a long time, but I wouldn't hold that up as a gold standard. Plenty of bands play 3 hour sets every night, and it's not like FOB doesn't have the catalog these days to do that.
11:28 AM on 06/24/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
I more or less agreed with everything that he wrote. I've never waited around after a show to meet a band. I think when you're younger you have this fantasy that you'll meet them after a show, you'll say something witty about a TV show you both like then fast forward three years later and every time they play your city you're meeting up with them for a burger and drinks after their shows.

The only part that irked me was the line
I'm not saying that 90 minutes isn't a long time, but I wouldn't hold that up as a gold standard. Plenty of bands play 3 hour sets every night, and it's not like FOB doesn't have the catalog these days to do that.
I think I'd leave my favorite band's show if it was 3 hours ... haha, that's longer than most movies (which I also get antsy in after about 2.5 hours).
11:30 AM on 06/24/13
Fool
User Info.
Blame social media. People feel more connected to individual band members because they can see their twitter activity and at times can even be facebook "friends" with them. Beyond that everybody gets to see when people take pictures with band members or if they post about conversations on tumblr. This leads to people thinking that this is the common place and they get upset and feel like they were cheated out of something they deserved when the band doesn't come out after a show.
11:30 AM on 06/24/13
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
I mean I love meeting bands I enjoy and getting autographs but thats not why I buy tickets thats for sure. I just know they are still in the area and a crowd of others doing it may draw them out. I guess it is a bit entitled but I am usually content with just hearing the music. Save Rock & Roll tour was a blast.

Edit: Though when I saw Jimmy Eat World I was too hungry afterwards to wait around and went to an all night diner. The band was right behind us. They were cool with getting a pic together and I mean they are my favorite band. That sorta scenario was ripe for a momento.
11:31 AM on 06/24/13
zachff
is Dalton Russell
User Info.
I think I'd leave my favorite band's show if it was 3 hours ... haha, that's longer than most movies (which I also get antsy in after about 2.5 hours).
Eh, the last time I saw Blink they played two hours. The last tour I saw Ben Harper play it was almost four hours. Every band doesn't have to go that long but 90 minutes feels like the low end of acceptable for a major headlining band.

And I only watch 6+ hour art house films. I loop them like gifs for days.
11:32 AM on 06/24/13
Fool
User Info.
But if that band played a 3 hour set they might not be any opening bands. Thus the show time is about the same but you'd have to really love the back catalog to care about that long of a set.
11:34 AM on 06/24/13
Festivus
for the rest of us...
User Info.
Same. I went to a Mars Volta concert many moons ago that went on (supposedly) for 3 hours. I left near 2.5. Granted, I probably should have known what I was getting into, but at the time I thought I was on board.
11:37 AM on 06/24/13
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
But if that band played a 3 hour set they might not be any opening bands. Thus the show time is about the same but you'd have to really love the back catalog to care about that long of a set.
I feel like some bands I love could easily take a break and come back out. Its up to them and I am down for hearing any songs by them live but when bands have 5+ albums sometimes more it makes you wonder what album they will draw most fromt. I did not get a chance to see this show but Foo Fighters played all their last album plus greatest hits for about a 32 song set around the release of Wasting Light.

I really doubt it but I really would kill to hear Jimmy Eat World do a 32 song plus set. They have a lot of singles and fan favorites but they also tour new stuff. It would be great to hear them mix it up with some lesser played songs or fan requests. I am not saying they have to but it would be awesome. Then again most bands with 5+ albums it would be awesome for.
11:38 AM on 06/24/13
Fool
User Info.
There are some bands I love that I never expect to meet the members of, such as: Coheed and Cambria, Incubus, Circa Survive, etc. and I don't care. At the same time there are some bands that I've met members of after shows several times to where I kind of take for granted that it isn't part of everyone's experience. Like talking with Casey of The Dear Hunter after nearly every show, Jon of Balance and Composure, everyone of Good Old War. So I can slightly see why some people might think I've met so many band members before why isn't this band coming out to meet us. Just a different opinion from what I posted before.
11:38 AM on 06/24/13
domotime2
User Info.
okay I'm confused, what's the problem? There are too many people waiting outside the gates and busses looking for autographs, and then when those people who waited didn't get to see them outside the bus they complained? Bitched on facebook? Is there some sort of large issues that Fall Out Boy faces every day or something. What's the problem?

To me the blog can be limited to: If we don't feel like signing autographs after the show, don't be mad.
11:42 AM on 06/24/13
zachff
is Dalton Russell
User Info.
okay I'm confused, what's the problem? There are too many people waiting outside the gates and busses looking for autographs, and then when those people who waited didn't get to see them outside the bus they complained? Bitched on facebook? Is there some sort of large issues that Fall Out Boy faces every day or something. What's the problem?

To me the blog can be limited to: If we don't feel like signing autographs after the show, don't be mad.
I would imagine that the problem is exactly as you described it. He's probably getting a hundred tweets from 15 year olds after every show saying "OMG JOE I'VE <3 FOR SO MANY YEARZ WHY DIDNT YOU TAKE PICS WITH ME I WATED BY UR BUS FOR 2 HRS"
11:46 AM on 06/24/13
domotime2
User Info.
I would imagine that the problem is exactly as you described it. He's probably getting a hundred tweets from 15 year olds after every show saying "OMG JOE I'VE <3 FOR SO MANY YEARZ WHY DIDNT YOU TAKE PICS WITH ME I WATED BY UR BUS FOR 2 HRS"

I see, well the one I have to disagree with Joe here is that 'fangirls' have always existed. Just because he never waited outside venues for autographs (because he wasn't a fangirl), doesn't mean fangirls haven't always existed for 'cute boy/pop acts'. Since the Beatles and Elvis, there have ALWAYS been mobs of girls who would do anything to meet their favorite artists, so I guess I just don't know why Joe is so surprised or actually MAD about it.
11:49 AM on 06/24/13
Arry
apreeesh
User Info.
Blame social media. People feel more connected to individual band members because they can see their twitter activity and at times can even be facebook "friends" with them. Beyond that everybody gets to see when people take pictures with band members or if they post about conversations on tumblr. This leads to people thinking that this is the common place and they get upset and feel like they were cheated out of something they deserved when the band doesn't come out after a show.
came here to say this. when a band member, retweets or responds to a fan, it breaks that normal fan-band relationship and it gives them validation that 'hey man, you retweeted my tweet, so we're best friends.' The sense of entitlement from super fans can get disgusting.

I see, well the one I have to disagree with Joe here is that 'fangirls' have always existed. Just because he never waited outside venues for autographs (because he wasn't a fangirl), doesn't mean fangirls haven't always existed for 'cute boy/pop acts'. Since the Beatles and Elvis, there have ALWAYS been mobs of girls who would do anything to meet their favorite artists, so I guess I just don't know why Joe is so surprised or actually MAD about it.

I kinda get Joe's perspective. Imagine a fan waiting for like, 2 hours for a simple autograph/picture or whatever. They wait, and they never receive. Then they go on twitter to spread the word that Joe's a dick or I'm never going to listen to FOB again because he didn't come say hi to them. If I was Joe, I'd be pissed because that's not who I am. I dunno, it wouldn't bother me as much, but I can see how it would hurt him.
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests