AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

02:13 PM on 01/25/04 
User Info.
Jared Kaufman
Registered Member
No Avatar Selected
I can't believe another week went by, but at least the music was there to keep me going and my head bobing. I'm just here waiting for the snow to fall .. how much is yet to be determined .. but with that said here are my picks for this week. Also check out Trent from the forum's (takingbackrufio) picks below mine as well. Enjoy!

The Phoenix Rising - This band is playing with another one of the bands that have made their way on my list of recommendations in the past, The Junior Varsity, tonight for both of their record release shows at The Metro in Chicgao, IL along with Glasseater so make sure to check that out if you're in the area. As far as the music, though, it's nothing but rockin'. I'm trying to find a way to get my hands on their full length so if you can help me then drop me line. By the way, they've got some great eye candy in the band as well for all you guys.

Bear Vs. Shark - This band just has that bursting / spontaneous feel when you listen to it leaving you in awe of what's to come next. Just a very unique band with a very in your face style with a great voice to go with that massive music blaring from the speakers. Just see for yourself.

The next three bands are all on One Eleven Records:

The Spill Canvas - I know this was on my list last week, but after finally getting to hear the full length, "Sunset & Car Crashes", in it's entirety I just had to put them on again. This album is beautiful, honest, sincere, and superb. I can't stop listening to this even if I wanted to.

Rookie of the Year - They're, like I said, on the same label as the band mentioned above and kind of in the same vein. They're another group that came to life from a solo acoustic act.

Thin Dark Line - The last band to share One Eleven Records as a home is not what you're expecting. They're definitely nothing like the two bands mentioned before but are just what you're looking for if you're looking for something loud with blaring guitars and pounding drums and agressive (background) vocals.

Hope you can at least enjoy one of these bands and hopefully at least one of them is something new and foregin to you .. at least give 'em a shot. Enjoy. Now take a peep at Trent's (takingbackrufio) picks below:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey everybody, I'm Trent Gill, some of you may know me as 'takingbackrufio' from the Forums here at Absolute Punk. Jared has kindly given me the opportunity to share my views on music with you in this week's recommendations, and I'm sure that you will find interest in a few of the bands that I am listening to recently. Nonetheless, if you don't, I won't take it the wrong way, honest opinions are welcome. Anyways, that's enough of a proper introduction, on with what I'm here for.

Drive By Punch - I've said it before, and if there's any perfect oppurtunity for me to boast about these guys, the time is now. I can honestly say that this is the best punk band that I have been introduced to since spring 2002. The style that this group brings is excellent in it's entirety, whatever the group may be officially considered is beyond me, but whether it be emo/core, emo/pop, they are by far the best of the group, for there is no band out there right now that is better. Sometimes, to be a ground-breaking band you don't have to invent a new genre, but to perfect the music of a genre that has been heard before is an honor of it's own, and Drive By Punch has done this with powerful vocals, an energetic sound, and excellent lyrics. To compare the guitar work that this band creates to another is not probable ... to get 3 guitars in one band to work is hard enough by itself, but to have the outcome be as good as what Drive By Punch is, that's nearly impossible. Drive By Punch, without a doubt are the next big thing, the success that they have potential to reach is unheard of, and have what it takes to be the top of this industry. I could go on forever, but it is useless ... words only matter up to a certain point, and to know how awesome of a sound this band really brings can only be done in one way: listen to their music. You'd be crazy not to.

A Match Like Memory - In a genre that is undeniably popular these days, it is tough to make an impact on the industry as a new band under that specific genre, and a Match Like Memory does this, bringing their young sound into a genre that is exploding in popularity as a whole and getting the listener's attention. With great guitar work supported by good drum beats, vocals that are good in their own way, as a personal view, I think this band deserves a chance in every alternative/emo fan's playlist. What that means, I can't guarantee you like them, but they definetly deserve a chance.

Punch Drunk - Some say that pop-punk is dying, some say that it all sounds the same, and other struggle to find new talent in a genre that has been dwindling ever since the likes of New Found Glory, the Starting Line, Midtown, Blink 182 were introduced. With Punch Drunk bursting into the pop-punk genre, I can honestly agree with what has been said about this band in the past; they are going to save pop punk. With a fast, poppy yet unique sound (which is mainly due to different instruments that have been used on a few of their songs), this band is one of my favourites of it's genre. If you haven't already, give them a listen.

Letterday - When you first recognize who this band is, you will probably have the same reaction as I did. Another pop-punk/emo band? Wrong. These four guys are doing something that cannot be argued: rocking out to anybody willing to listen. I cannot say much more, their songs have good rythm, heart-felt lyrics, and are arguably one of the best young talents in the genre today. With a motto of 'songs for the broken hearted' that they go by, the song 'Someone Else' recognizes them perfectly. Do yourself a favour, and give their songs an honest chance.

Five Star Riot - When I first checked out this band, I was expecting it to be good, but not as good as I found out it was. It wasn't perfect, nor ground-breaking or amazing, but I couldn't deny that I keep listening to Five Star Riot's songs over and over again. Five Star Riot has one goal; to bring a sound that defines Pop-Punk/Rock, and you'd be surprised at how good of job they do at that certain thing. The melody this band contains is superb, their guitar work accurate and infectious ... these five guys definetly know how to bring the rock, expect nothing but big things from this talented group, especially when the average age of every member is 16, and the drummer is only 12. You heard me. Check them out, you've got nothing to lose.

Anyways, those were my recommendations, whether you like them or not, it's what I've been listening to, and I hope you find something that you like in a few of these bands, even if it is only one. I'd like to take this oppurtunity to thank Jared Kaufman for giving me the chance to share with you some recommendations.
02:30 PM on 01/25/04 
User Info.
on_fire
New Brunswick,...
31 Years Old
bear vs shark = awesome
02:56 PM on 01/25/04 
User Info.
DonnieDarko
ASATCON
Canada eh?
Male - 30 Years Old
Originally Posted by on_fire
bear vs shark = awesome

I agree, though i don't like any of the other aformentioned bands...bear vs. shark rock like it's their job.
03:00 PM on 01/25/04 
User Info.
derricklc22
Gentelman in Training
TN
Male - 29 Years Old
Trent is exactly right about Drive By Punch. Great band and I can't wait for them to put out another album. Thanks for getting me into them awhile back.
03:04 PM on 01/25/04 
User Info.
Fminus
AP Addict
No Avatar Selected
PLEASE for gods sake someone on this god forsaken website reccomend some punk rock bands enough of this pop punk shit
03:21 PM on 01/25/04 
User Info.
DonnieDarko
ASATCON
Canada eh?
Male - 30 Years Old
Originally Posted by Fminus
PLEASE for gods sake someone on this god forsaken website reccomend some punk rock bands enough of this pop punk shit

it's called music fucker, you damn scene whore.
03:22 PM on 01/25/04 
User Info.
Trent Gill
willreadbooksformoney @ tumblr
London, ON
Male - 26 Years Old
Originally Posted by Fminus
Black Market Crash - www.blackmarketcrash.com

And thanks Derreck, whenever I get the oppurtunity to recommend music Drive By Punch is the first band that comes to mind ... always.
04:11 PM on 01/25/04 
User Info.
FarPastGone
Favors The Brave
No Avatar Selected
Patagonia
Male
I like the picks, all over the place..........Bear vs. Shark is an awesome band
04:14 PM on 01/25/04 
User Info.
piebaldkid42
too hot for the hot tub
the sticks, new...
Male - 25 Years Old
woo trent got to reccomend this week, congrats:)
04:49 PM on 01/25/04 
User Info.
sumfartieone22
bear vs shark is so sweet. especially since they are from michigan. but they have such a good sound
05:19 PM on 01/25/04 
User Info.
Trent Gill
willreadbooksformoney @ tumblr
London, ON
Male - 26 Years Old
Originally Posted by piebaldkid42
woo trent got to reccomend this week, congrats:)
Thanks alot Tim. :)
05:31 PM on 01/25/04 
User Info.
evnaked27
Lubbock, TX
30 Years Old
I'm glad Punch Drunk got a nod from someone. Pick up their CD and try not to get at least one of the songs stuck in your head for days. I dare you. It's impossible. Do it now.
09:19 PM on 01/25/04 
User Info.
maybe_mayhem
I am heaven sent.
yootaw
Male - 28 Years Old
i just listened to bear vs. shark and i couldn't believe what i was hearing. simply awesome.
06:16 AM on 01/26/04 
User Info.
takingbackNJ
No Avatar Selected
philly
Male
Bear vs. Shark is amazing. if you like them, you should check out Cru Jones

-thanks
07:26 AM on 01/26/04 
User Info.
davedesloover18
Giddy Up!
Toledo, OH
Male - 31 Years Old
Originally Posted by sumfartieone22
bear vs shark is so sweet. especially since they are from michigan. but they have such a good sound
yep, from Ferndale, about 45 min. from me
They've been to Toledo several times, but I could never make it to any of the shows, but I'm going to make it a point to get to the next one

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos