AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
Money News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Money
Inside AP.net

Ian MacKaye On Urban Outfitters' Minor Threat...

Posted by: Jason Tate (07/31/13)
Ian MacKaye spoke with the Washington City Paper about the Minor Threat t-shirts in Urban Outfitters. I can't believe it's cool to wear Minor Threat t-shirts.
“Dischord doesn’t make T-shirts,” MacKaye clarifies in a phone call. But Minor Threat is another story. Because so many bootlegged Minor Threat shirts are constantly floating around the universe, MacKaye decided the band had to do something about it. The solution: Get another company to oversee their official shirts, and when a bootleg crops up, let them deal with it. “It’s fucking absurd the amount of bootlegs are out there,” MacKaye says, and “my time is better spent doing other things … It’s not a political thing for me. I just don’t give a fuck about T-shirts.”

Displaying posts 1 - 12 of 12
12:58 PM on 07/31/13
End is Forever
User Info.
Dude named Bill summed it up nicely in the WCP comments:

"i personally don't care if ian mackaye makes money off his own art/brand. in fact, i think he has every right to do so, and should! i don't give (and haven't since I was maybe 15) any credence to the whole self-righteous "punk rock ethos" espoused by ian mackaye, dischord and their followers. what i find off-putting in this case is the derisive cynicism.

maybe ian should have hired a lawyer to protect his brand, but instead (and very astutely) he passed along that dirty work to a 3rd party t-shirt maker who incidentally share the same desire to squash the bootleggers (as a consequence of basic business practices). fact remains, ian mackaye does make a cut off that $28 sale at urban outfitters."

My gf gets half-off at Urban Outfitters, maybe I should kawp.
01:05 PM on 07/31/13
Manervous
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Yeah tough call. Ultimately this gets into the politics of money and changing hands; If you really dig into it, there's some corruption/screwed up politics in every dollar every single one of us makes...so being no full-blown crusty myself I can't say I blame MacKaye on this one. Still, I don't really dig Urban's CEO (Richard Hayne)'s stance on gay rights (e.g. that they shouldn't have any).

Eh, who am I kidding? MacKaye's cooler than I'll ever be and he can do whatever the fuck he wants I guess. Minor Threat. Embrace. Fugazi. At least 3 get out of cred-jail free cards.
01:08 PM on 07/31/13
streetcar
User Info.
oh yea i bet.. im pretty sure the misfits and ramones have the same problem...
01:56 PM on 07/31/13
Arry
apreeesh
User Info.
Yeah tough call. Ultimately this gets into the politics of money and changing hands; If you really dig into it, there's some corruption/screwed up politics in every dollar every single one of us makes...so being no full-blown crusty myself I can't say I blame MacKaye on this one. Still, I don't really dig Urban's CEO (Richard Hayne)'s stance on gay rights (e.g. that they shouldn't have any).

Eh, who am I kidding? MacKaye's cooler than I'll ever be and he can do whatever the fuck he wants I guess. Minor Threat. Embrace. Fugazi. At least 3 get out of cred-jail free cards.

Had to google that. CEO of big name brands are always goofy looking. Anyways, Urban as a whole is pretty shitty. Especially for illustrators.
02:01 PM on 07/31/13
IWasHerHorse
User Info.
I see nothing wrong here.
04:18 PM on 07/31/13
StephenYoung
dumb
User Info.
CEO of urban is a shitbag.
06:38 PM on 07/31/13
CBKRP
Registered Member
User Info.
Someone slap me if I ever buy anything from Urban Outfitters
12:30 AM on 08/01/13
kbomb001
Jesus Saves
User Info.
UPDAPUNX doe, okay?
06:52 AM on 08/01/13
kaylasananjou
Count Your Lucky Stars Records / Kayla
User Info.
I don't care if they want to sell t-shirts and make money off of it, but they picked UO of all places? Shittiest company ever, well known for homophobia, racism, sexism, promoting eating disorders among girls, stealing art from lesser known artists, etc. Basically, the complete opposite of what a band like Minor Threat is supposed to stand for.
09:06 AM on 08/01/13
circasurvivor
User Info.
11:28 AM on 08/01/13
lidoscotty
Lido Beach / Scotty
User Info.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates