www.twitter.com/shawnhyphenray
User Info.
all i could think about was him walking on a treadmill the whole time
Same!
02:59 PM on 08/26/13
doyouhas?
We're On Our Way Home.
User Info.
This song is all about humility, and you are somehow perceiving the exact opposite.

He's not assuming anything. He's using pretty extravagant words to stress that fact that no matter how much praise he gets or would get, it would never be enough to satisfy his soul ultimately. In fact, contrary to what you're saying, if we applied this line to our own lives we'd be far more humble.

That is, if we understood how empty our own praise was, we'd be much more invested in the glory of God and others.

He's only stating "if I had those things" it wouldn't be enough. I being a part of a church, see where he's coming from, with such a great heritage of songs, one of my favorite lines is to a song is "Riches I heed not, nor men's empty praise" from Be Thou My Vision. It again is saying "if I had these things" it would pale in comparison to Christ.

However that being said, I do totally get that people outside of that heritage, it maybe doesn't make that much sense. Though I never got how most thrice fans got songs like Beggars or all the world is mad for the same reasons.

I get, metaphorically, what he's trying to say. He's Saul on the road to Damascus or Ozmandias before the fall. He's acknowledging that any carnal possessions and desires will eventually fade. It's a theme central to man, not just Christianity. I'm not attacking his belief system, and I'm not attacking him personally. I just think it's a weakly structured and off the mark metaphor.

And getupguy, don't tell me you "get it" because you go to church. That level on condescension leaves me completely unsurprised that you relate to this song.
03:02 PM on 08/26/13
WhatJulianSaid
News on Once the Clouds are Gone
User Info.
So good, can't wait for the rest.
03:04 PM on 08/26/13
_><_
Registered Member
User Info.
This made me miss Thrice even more.
03:14 PM on 08/26/13
Sanzen
Ricocheting
User Info.
That was bad-fucking-ass.
03:15 PM on 08/26/13
johnnyferris
Inside of your heart always
User Info.
Such a beautiful song.
03:16 PM on 08/26/13
johnnyferris
Inside of your heart always
User Info.
I wonder if there's any outtakes, haha.
03:28 PM on 08/26/13
SuNDaYSTaR
[Pull The Trigger]
User Info.
Just can't get into his worship stuff.
Really? It doesn't sound too worshippy to me.
03:38 PM on 08/26/13
getupguy222
User Info.
I get, metaphorically, what he's trying to say. He's Saul on the road to Damascus or Ozmandias before the fall. He's acknowledging that any carnal possessions and desires will eventually fade. It's a theme central to man, not just Christianity. I'm not attacking his belief system, and I'm not attacking him personally. I just think it's a weakly structured and off the mark metaphor.

And getupguy, don't tell me you "get it" because you go to church. That level on condescension leaves me completely unsurprised that you relate to this song.
That is not what I meant by the comment at all. I didn't mean "get it" on a self in enlightenment level. I simply meant, people outside of the church might not be familiar with why a worship song and a thrice song might be structured differently, or get connections to other songs sung traditionally in church. I'm not Irish and I don't listen to Irish folk tunes, therefore someone who that is what they are into might have insight to lyrical connections that I don't have. That's why I mentioned church Heritage. That is all I meant, I wasn't condescending you. It came across that way, I apologize. I am not better than you.
03:42 PM on 08/26/13
baton
ftfmusic.net
User Info.

well thank you! ;p why did I read this before I watched ;P ...anyway, really like the song, it's not really a straightforward worship one, I can't see how Thrice fans couldn't get behind this. But we'll see how far it goes in other songs on the album.
04:55 PM on 08/26/13
atticusfinch
Faith In More Than Steel
User Info.
Kind of a boring video, but the song is fantastic. Just pre-ordered this today on vinyl.
07:05 PM on 08/26/13
ValleyForge
User Info.

Weakly structured and off-the mark metaphor? I don't understand what you're trying to say. What's wrong with that verse?
07:09 PM on 08/26/13
ValleyForge
User Info.

Also - this song wouldn't relate much to Saul on the road to Damascus at all. Except that they are both walking.
07:59 PM on 08/26/13
theherox
Hi, I'm Alexander #2
User Info.
The video was almost over before I realized he was wearing a tie

Also, this video proves that when he sings that he could walk the world forever, he really means it!!
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums