Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 12 posts.
08:12 AM on 08/27/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Good review. I like the new material but just can't get past the incredibly high bar that Waves set for me.
I'm worried I'll judge this too much based on Waves, but over time I'll love it more once it separates in my mind.
Really excited to hear the proper album.
so excited for this one, especially for Eastern Leaves.. I only touched 2 full performances and some previews from the live session, can't wait for the album. Althouh I'm a little afraid I'm gonna miss the energy of their breakdowns or some more abruptive moments, but here's to hoping they'll get back to it sooner or later too, and I'll take this one with full acceptance for what it is.
Me thinks once you guys hear the proper record, your worries will dissipate. Though the Telegraph Sessions are great, it's the album versions that reeled me in. I didn't receive my advance until after "Swing Set" and "Burn Pile" released, and I found myself loving both songs more after having the album versions.
09:28 AM on 08/27/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Can't wait for the record but this review needed to be proofread...
I chose to ignore the spelling/grammar issues. It was a little distracting, but I got the point Jack was trying to convey, so I easily overlooked it.
Finished at 3 am, since today's my anniversary and knew I wouldn't have time tonight. Care to point out the spots so I can edit?
09:45 AM on 08/27/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Not seeing any grammar or spelling errors...the first sentence reads a smidge awkwardly, but I definitely don't see anything wrong with the second sentence.
09:58 AM on 08/27/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I really like the way you embedded media in the review. Very nice touch. Gives the reader an opportunity to listen for themselves.

/twocentsgiven
Thanks! I was 50/50 on it, and actually even changed which songs were embedded at the last minute - glad people are enjoying the inclusion.
10:14 AM on 08/27/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Anyway, BACK TO THE MUSIC.
11:13 AM on 08/27/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
11:15 AM on 08/27/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
These were the three parts I noticed as well. Just words and letters are missing, as noted.
HA. I'm a moron. I had made those edits in a draft, that I didn't put in this version of the review. Good call, and apologies.
05:50 PM on 09/09/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I think I'm in the most minor of minorities.

Self-titled > Waves = New Light.
05:50 PM on 09/09/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
the problem i had with waves is how samey it sounded to me, not only throughout the course of the album but in relation to other bands in the scene, and yes, i think the thrice comparison is about as apt as it gets. which you may personally think isnt a fair comparison. but i also disliked the screaming parts as well, and this album goes for a much softer, laid back sound that makes the bigger parts, like the end of "seasonal," hit with that much more impact. i also think the songwriting, in terms of melodies and harmonies and also song structures, are more interesting than they were on waves. there's a lot more nuance here. its also shorter and more to the point, i think waves is a bit long and i got bored with it pretty quickly into the album.

like i said, you dont have to agree, but just knowing where im coming from could maybe help you understand a different viewpoint. in any case, discussion is always healthy.

All of that.
10:17 PM on 09/09/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
where do you rank their other albums with this?

I'm not nearly as familiar with them, but I'd rank all of these ahead of them. I enjoyed their other albums, but they lose me a tad.
11:01 AM on 09/10/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Didn't I just read this review for the same album a few days ago...?
...Yes?
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News