AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Property of Zack News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

POZ Op-Ed: Why The Punk Community Should Stand Against Concert...

Posted by - 03:14 PM on 09/05/13
PropertyOfZack has a new op-ed article on how the cancelation of Electric Zoo due to drugs and the way the mainstream news is reporting on the event could affect our music scene and the surrounding ones. Let us know your opinions on the discussion.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 72
03:18 PM on 09/05/13
Mr Tickles
User Info.
It's an insurance thing. Protesting will do nothing if the venue can't get insurance. Did this need 10 paragraphs?
03:43 PM on 09/05/13
cut!print
Keep me simple, unplug my head.
User Info.
This is a consistent thing I hear about every EDM festival. Some kid dies from MDMA overdose. The media's perception, in this case, isn't all that obscure IMO. I could care less what someone else digs as far as music goes but I'm 21 and I see and know kids my age, older, and younger that go to those shows just to get fucked up and party for the most part. I also rarely hear them listen to that kind of music elsewhere. I am on neither side of the fence, I just see and understand both sides of the story.
03:45 PM on 09/05/13
TerrancePryor
twitter.com/terrancepryor
User Info.
Quote:
I know PropertyOfZack is not where you go to hear about festivals where idiots like Steve Aoki serve up watered down remixes to what you might consider drug addled morons.

I stopped reading after that statement. Not cool allowing someone completely biased against a genre and its fans to write something like this.
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
User Info.
People died. This isn't a "ridiculous reason" or "one bad night". Its a sign of a dangerous culture where more needs to be done to properly educate people on how to stay safe.

Does it suck that the concert had to be canceled? Yes. But the take away shouldn't be "stupid people will be stupid, don't let their stupidness ruin the fun for everyone else". I think once people start dying the take away needs to be "don't be stupid. you don't just ruin things for yourself when you're stupid, you ruin it for everyone else as well"
galen
my songs:brooklynlookingforw ard.com
User Info.
03:46 PM on 09/05/13
Jacob Tender
User Info.
That link gives me this.
03:49 PM on 09/05/13
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
I stopped reading after that statement. Not cool allowing someone completely biased against a genre and its fans to write something like this.
If you read further, Jesse clearly loves the dane music scene. Like, clearly.
03:51 PM on 09/05/13
PirateSkater182
I want a new username.
User Info.
What this article basically says: "Hey man.. That's not cool you cancelled the fest. I like punk and dance music. Don't do drugs at concerts."
03:52 PM on 09/05/13
abusedcat
Long Gone Before Daylight
User Info.
Most people I know go to these dance shows/festivals just do so as an excuse to take a bunch of drugs and get "fucked up". The music doesn't really have anything to do with it, as terrible as I think it is. People see it as a culture that's inviting to ingest copious amount of illicit substances and want in on it. It's basically just Social Darwinism.
03:53 PM on 09/05/13
Steve_JustAGuy
www.justaguy.us
User Info.
Consequence of Sound had a good write up on it.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/0...estroying-edm/

The thing that scares me is the lack of security at these festivals. Not saying it would solve every problem, but competent security could only help to prevent these situations.
03:59 PM on 09/05/13
TerrancePryor
twitter.com/terrancepryor
User Info.

The thing that scares me is the lack of security at these festivals. Not saying it would solve every problem, but competent security could only help to prevent these situations.

Security was really friendly and strict when I attended Electric Daisy Carnival New York this year. This part about Lollapalooza pisses me off:

Quote:
That bag of pills I spotted during Lolla 2011 wasn’t being sold by someone villainous; it was being toted by a security guard who could very well have confiscated them from numerous individuals. This security guard wasn’t there to ensure people were taking safe drugs or properly enjoying the experience; he just found a quick way to make a lot of money off of the crowd.

People like that are disgusting.
04:02 PM on 09/05/13
xBranx
Brandon Pagano / Handguns
User Info.
Drug overdoses at punk rock shows are slim to none. Death at punk rock shows are slim to none. Local government shutting down punk rock shows because they bring negative attention to the area is basically non-existent.

Meanwhile these popular festivals that host EDM are almost exclusively brought to my attention because there are deaths there. I'm not too fond of EDM.
04:04 PM on 09/05/13
Steve_JustAGuy
www.justaguy.us
User Info.
Security was really friendly and strict when I attended Electric Daisy Carnival New York this year. This part about Lollapalooza pisses me off:

People like that are disgusting.
Maybe it's just a Lolla thing then? Because security was a joke there this year. If I'm not mistaken C3 runs Lolla and few others, so I hate to think that they just don't give a damn and let people bring whatever in, especially when they run some of the biggest festivals/venues.
04:04 PM on 09/05/13
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
Is the story deleted? I wanted to see what this 20 year old dude thinks the punk community should do because people die on drugs at EDM fests.

Edit: it's fixed. Let see..

Not a 20 year old.

Solid write up.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version