Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 4 posts
12:23 PM on 09/11/13
Fame<Infamy
gonna bang bang fuck you up
User Info.
I've never understood why people write or articulate Paddy's instead of Patty's.
....because it's 'Paddy' and not 'Patty'?...
10:37 PM on 09/11/13
Fame<Infamy
User Info.

That's so obviously a retrospective shot at justifying some bar argument.
It's also weak regardless, because we don't call it Saint Pádraig's Day and the Irish call it Lá Fhéile Pádraig.
I'm not really sure what you're getting at because I'm Irish and I call it "Paddy's Day", like everyone else in Ireland.
07:16 AM on 09/12/13
Fame<Infamy
User Info.
I guess that would matter a great deal to me if I were in Ireland.
In the US we celebrate anglicized holidays with anglicized names and Americanized traditions, whether we should or not. It's cool on you to celebrate Padraig, okay. But if it's willfully ignorant to call St. Patrick's Day "Patty's" in America, it's also willfully ignorant use basically any English-language terminology for a religious holiday.

So the question is, do a bunch of drunk assholes really run around calling it "Paddy's" every year because they understand the etymological Irish roots of the holiday's name and have consciously chosen to ignore the American tradition of anglicizing everything? I doubt it.
You said "the Irish call it Lá Fhéile Pádraig", so I guess it does matter to you?

In Ireland we do understand the "etymological Irish roots of the holiday's name", because, you know, it's an Irish holiday. Also, as an Irishman I know that it's Paddy and not Patty, because Patrick is an Irish name. I don't know why you're arguing with me on this. You're American. You're wrong. It's Paddy.
08:21 AM on 09/12/13
Fame<Infamy
User Info.
My point in saying that was to explain that "Paddy" makes sense in Ireland but not in the US.
You don't seem to be understanding that half my point is that it's different between the two countries.

But your frustration is a pretty funny case of cultural appropriation pissing off the people whose culture has been appropriated :P
And my point is that it doesn't matter that there's a difference between our countries, it's still "Paddy".

Nah I mean we have fatty "American-style" fast food restaurants over here, so it's all cool.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos