Username
Password
All Posts by User
Displaying user's 2 posts.
12:15 PM on 10/09/13
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.

Message from Eddie Breckenridge"I think "Where You Been" came out at a really important time of my life musically.

I was thirteen, completely obsessed with skateboarding and finding my own way of doing things. And music, always being a huge part of a persons life/identity (especially a youngin like myself) all the sudden became an accompaniment to all I did. Start Choppin was the first Dino Jr. song I ever heard (i think... or maybe the first song I connected with).

I remember one of my good skate friends and I met up with this mutual friend of ours for a skate... this kid was crazy... in the best of ways. He looked weird, dressed weird... said weird things... skated around with a trumpet... haha yeah. Incidentally we all looked up to him and thought he was way ahead of the game in being a cool ass dude. He had brought a boombox to the spot and was blasting music. I'm not sure if it was a mix he was listening to or the album but I do remember hearing Start Choppin, pausing my skate for the entire song and asking him what it was.

I loved the way the intro came together... Jay's voice... and then that verse riff!, and the way Dinosaur Jr. somehow sounded melancholy but, happy... heavy, but delicate. "WHAT IS THIS?!" I asked, "Dino Junior dude!" he said. This was something different, unique, and made me feel amazing because it wasn't just a rock band, or a grunge band, or whatever was going on at the time. It was Dinosaur Jr. and I was a fan."
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests