AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
Kanye West News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Kanye West
Inside AP.net

Watch and Discuss: Kanye West's Interview on Jimmy...

Posted by: Drew Beringer (10/10/13)
Even if you're a fan of his music, it's easy to write off Kanye West's numerous public rants this year--whether at his concerts, another artist's listening party, or via Twitter--as mere publicity stunts, aimless babbling, or whatever. But if you read between the lines and actually think about the topics he's been bringing up during the Yeezus album cycle--including in his music--and especially if you paid attention to his interview with BBC Radio 1's Zane Lowe, it's increasingly obviously that writing Kanye's rants off as such is in fact a lazy misrepresentation of what he's been trying to do.

Further proof of this emerged last night when Kanye sat down with Jimmy Kimmel to clear the air following their recent (mostly one-sided) Twitter feud. Both men made some excellent points, and Kanye had very interesting things to say about celebrity and paparazzi culture, race, class, and of course: fashion.
The way paparazzi talk to me and my family is disrespectful. We bring something of joy to the world. When people hear my music, they have a good time. And I should be respected as such when I walk down the street. Donít try to antagonize me. Because you know what, itís not safe for you in this zoo. Never think that Iím not from Chicago for one second.

Hit the replies to watch the full interview--which took up most of last night's episode of Jimmy Kimmel Live--and feel free to share your own thoughts below. Do you think Kanye's criticisms of paparazzi culture are fair or off-base? Do you agree that when the fashion industry takes shots at black celebrities, "itís not about racism anymore, itís classism," as Kanye claims? What about when he says, "I wouldnít even say Iím a rapper, Iím more of a messenger than a rapper," do you think that's true?

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 244
11:03 AM on 10/10/13
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.

11:07 AM on 10/10/13
honkytonk
Fedoras, limit 1 per group.
User Info.
Honestly I can't help but respect the guy for staying true to himself in everything he does. I'd love to pick his brain and can't wait to see where he goes in the future. But gotta love how many times he fake laughs and goes straight-face again right after hahah
11:20 AM on 10/10/13
RonStoppable
yeezy season approachin
User Info.
Love the interview. He's out there being one of the most truly incredible and interesting human beings on the planet (at least with his level of fame).

Then there's Jimmy Kimmel sitting next to him making dumb jokes like the 8th grader in the back who doesn't get it.
11:21 AM on 10/10/13
j4callen
User Info.
This was SO GOOD! I could listen to Kanye talk for hours.

Kimmel, on the other hand, is awful. Not funny, not a good interviewer. He tried to take a jab or two to keep his "cred" in the comic world but basically he ate shit and let Kanye talk for 95% of the interview.
11:25 AM on 10/10/13
heyzombiehitler
has feelings
User Info.
Lots of sucking noises going on in here.
11:29 AM on 10/10/13
RonStoppable
yeezy season approachin
User Info.
Great read from someone whom (I feel) gets it

Quote:
But the rage that Kanye inspires, and I don’t mean people who simply aren’t fans of Kanye I don’t mean people who are indifferent to Kanye. I mean the specific hate and resentment from people who don’t think he deserves the success and attention that he receives. I think it can be better understood by using the myth that women talk too much. Now there have been lots of studies gauging the gender distribution of talk in classrooms, public spaces, conferences. And theres a feminist, Dale Spender in Australia, who noted that in attempts to restore the balance of the amount of time women get to speak in a space, in this case in a classroom, the boys still dominated the conversation despite attempts to allot equal time for both genders. Another study came out where a male teacher managed to create an atmosphere in which the boys and girls contributed equally to the discussion. When that happened, both the teacher and the boys felt that 90% of the attention was going to the girls. And they complained about it so much. And how Spender explained this was, if I may quote him, “the talkativeness of women is gauged in comparison not with men but with silence. Women have not been judged on the grounds of whether they talk more than men but whether they talk more than silent women.” And I think this can really explain how Kanye specifically strikes a chord with what I use White America as a shorthand for. People who very strongly react to-that he “acts out/talks too much” that he should be “grateful” for his success that he should not have such an ego about it or whatever. I think the reason he inspires that reaction is that in our very sort of monochromatic media we’re used to white artists, white actors, white faces, on our tv and news—and to see a black man speak on such charged issues, saying things like the CCA teamed up with the DEA, that George Bush doesn’t care about black people, talking about family members who were arrested for sit ins. For him to say all of these things, for him to have reached the success and position that he has. You know he’s new money, he’s joined the 1%. And I think he’s very aware that the 1% thinks he should be grateful and shut his big mouth about all of these vast social inequities and the ongoing racial discrimination in these spaces. And honestly, people aren’t used to people of color speaking out in this way especially creative people of color.
11:33 AM on 10/10/13
XenoAbe
Cowboy monkey riding border collies
User Info.
Is Kanye afraid to laugh?

Also, this is television gold.
11:42 AM on 10/10/13
Holly HoX!
User Info.
11:43 AM on 10/10/13
Spartan789013
I should be proper for a change
User Info.
Is Kanye afraid to laugh?

Also, this is television gold.

Its not that he is afraid to laugh, its that he doesn't find Kimmel funny.
11:44 AM on 10/10/13
dom_182
Reckless Abandon
User Info.
the fact that Kanye refers to himself as a celebrity tells you all you need to know about him. Prick.
11:45 AM on 10/10/13
CT-Tim
I Care
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
When you say "I'm not a rapper, I'm a messenger." all hope is lost for a reasonable depiction of yourself.
11:46 AM on 10/10/13
Holly HoX!
User Info.
the fact that Kanye refers to himself as a celebrity tells you all you need to know about him. Prick.

You're a fucking moron.
11:50 AM on 10/10/13
XenoAbe
Cowboy monkey riding border collies
User Info.
This was SO GOOD! I could listen to Kanye talk for hours.

Kimmel, on the other hand, is awful. Not funny, not a good interviewer. He tried to take a jab or two to keep his "cred" in the comic world but basically he ate shit and let Kanye talk for 95% of the interview.
You contradict yourself. Jimmy actually does what he needs to and gets out of the way to let Kanye steal the show.
11:50 AM on 10/10/13
Holly HoX!
User Info.

All the stereotypical AP posters that will inevitably post hate/ignorant comments in this thread should read this.

But of course that would be way way too much of an undertaking for lazy detractors.
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums