AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Clowns - I'm Not Right Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 9
Production 9
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 90%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 7
Production 8
Creativity 6.75
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 10
Average: 83%

Clowns - I'm Not Right

Reviewed by: dave_rowely (11/13/13)
Clowns - I'm Not Right
Record Label: Poison City Records
Release Date: October 10, 2013

Roundhouse kicks to the face are few and far between when it comes to punk rock these days. All too often reviewers will use buzzwords along the lines of intense, pummelling and raw to give sense to how fast or hard the certain band sounds because that is what you are meant to do when reviewing a punk, hardcore or any other record with loud guitars and screaming vocals. Well, this isn't the case with Clowns.

Opening track "Awake" encapsulates what the band and I'm Not Right are all about with Dan Aykroyd legendary Blues Brothers line ("I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum"). Twelve songs and twenty seven minutes later and Mr. Aykroyd is not wrong; this record simply kicks ass. No gimmicks or shticks, simply put I'm Not Right is a straight up old school punk rock record that kicks fucking ass!

With run times mostly under three minutes ("Asleep," "Boxcutter," "Oh Fuck My Face" and "Rat") clocking in under one and a half minutes, ("Boxcutter" at a tidy thirty four seconds) Clowns give quality not quantity and it shows. Ideas here are fresh and never repeated, debunking the often forgettable one trick pony nature of short, fast and loud punk records. Whether it be hellish soloing on "You've Got A Curse" or the cultish repetition on "Repeat After Me" there is more than enough here to require repeated spins in succession.

The inclusion of the three previously released 7 singles "Eat A Gun, Repeat After Me" and "Powders" may seem on paper like a band without enough material for a record. However, the inclusion of these tracks only proves how damn good they were in the first place and that newcomers to the band need to hear these songs.

Clowns sit comfortably along with the likes of Black Flag, Fucked Up and The Bronx in the almost foreign genre of what started out decades ago as punk and this really isn't a bad thing. In fact who doesn't want more records along the lines of any of the aforementioned bands? Hint, the answer is no one.

9/10

Bandcamp

Recommended If You Like The Bronx; Black Flag; Fucked Up; Sex Pistols

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS