AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Reggie and the Full Effect - Last Stop:... Album Cover

Reggie and the Full Effect - Last Stop:...

Reviewed by
Reggie and the Full Effect - Last Stop: Crappy Town
Record Label: Vagrant Records
Release Date: June 17, 2008
James Dewees, the former keyboardist for The Get Up Kids and drummer for Coalesce, has been releasing solo records under the moniker of Reggie and Full Effect for a decade now. The influence of participating in bands with such differing styles has carried over to his solo work. On the last record, Songs Not to Get Married To, listeners were treated to an electronic ballad ("Thanks For the Misery"), a riff-heavy shout out to Helmet ("The Fuck Stops Here"), and a Chromeo-meets-Silversun Pickups mash-up of beats and post-shoegaze guitar ("Love Reality"), all on consecutive tracks. Fans have come to expect that, with a Reggie and the Full Effect album, anything is possible. That's why it's surprising that Last Stop: Crappy Town sounds so singularly-minded.

After working with Ed Rose (Motion City Soundtrack, Limbeck, The Get Up Kids) for the first four albums, Dewees decided upon Sean Beavin (Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson) to take over as producer on the new album. The result is a record that lacks the variety, energy and fun present on the first four discs. While the synths that have become a trademark of the band's sound are not gone completely, they sound like a mere afterthought. These songs are almost totally dominated by heavy guitars and Dewees' screaming vocals. While such vocals have been featured on each of the previous albums, they have never been the primary voice of Reggie and the Full Effect, as they seem to have become on this record.

It's troubling that, at 32-years of age, an age when most artists are showing maturity, Dewees essentially has resorted to making a generic screamo album. The vocals are not at all bad, but the screaming does nothing to set it apart from the sea of other practitioners in the genre. Also, the clean vocals no longer have the earnest tone that made his previous work so endearing, and instead sound more strident, in the vein of many of the current crop of modern rock radio bands.

The lyrics also represent a movement toward mainstream brooding blandness. While the band's past catalog is not all fun-and-games lyrically, they are at least catchy and fun in their own angst-filled, self-deprecating way. Even on the darker Songs Not to Get Married To, where the songs are more caustic, they are often humorously so. While not notably terrible, the lyrics on this record are, quite simply, not particularly memorable or noteworthy.

The same could be said for the music itself. Though capably played, nothing in any of these songs stands out and demands to be listened to again. It seems as though you've already heard these songs over and over again already.

Perhaps Dewees is trying to tell us something with the album's title. After ten years and five albums, this could be the last stop on the Reggie train; it certainly is crappy. If this album is any indication of where Reggie and the Full Effect might be headed in the future, putting an end to it now, before it gets any worse, would be just fine.

Recommended if You LikeLovehatehero, Scary Kids Scaring Kids, Funeral for a Friend

myspace.com/reggieandthefulleffect
This review is a user submitted review from Jeremy Aaron. You can see all of Jeremy Aaron's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11
10:03 AM on 06/23/08
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
It's a very well written review. But your rating of it was way to low, i think you were 20-25% low.
01:54 PM on 06/23/08
Greg.Kushlan
Ghostbusting makes me feel good
User Info.
This is the first time I've ever heard this band, it is a joke band right? The screaming sounds like ben from FATA, and the singing sounds awful. Out of place keyboards make it sound bad too.
02:35 PM on 06/23/08
LongDistanceDrunk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Good review man. I feel the exact same way about this album as you. I was so excited for the new Reggie when it was announced and this is a huge letdown. Its not fun at all. Its just generic sing/scream garbage. I guess this maybe was why Vagrant was hesitant of releasing this awhile back cause it sucked ass. At least westill have four great Reggie albums to listen to..
02:07 AM on 06/24/08
CircaSin
The All-New 2014 Corolla
User Info.
relive the magic....bring the magic home.
05:36 PM on 06/24/08
demondays524
welcometonormal.tumblr.co m
User Info.
I'm surprised, the songs I've heard weren't too bad. The scraming did sound a little wierd to me, so I guess maybe an entire CD with it would just be overkill...
10:50 PM on 06/25/08
abcabc
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Your review is an epic fail. Yes this is not as good as old reggie but this isnt really new reggie this is a cd made 2 years ago and just released.And and was advertised as a different side of the band. Your review seems a tad low. Its a 75 in my book not great but not terrible.

(Last Stop: Crappy Town sees a much different side of Reggie. Gone are the joking skits, funny song titles, and videos about the Loch Ness monster and breakdancing contests. Gone are the poppy, danceable songs that had young girls singing their hearts out about being in love. This album is about a very real, rough time in James’ life, and the mood of the songs reflects those down times. The album is much heavier, darker and introspective.)
09:19 AM on 06/26/08
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
Your review is an epic fail. Yes this is not as good as old reggie but this isnt really new reggie this is a cd made 2 years ago and just released.And and was advertised as a different side of the band. Your review seems a tad low. Its a 75 in my book not great but not terrible.

(Last Stop: Crappy Town sees a much different side of Reggie. Gone are the joking skits, funny song titles, and videos about the Loch Ness monster and breakdancing contests. Gone are the poppy, danceable songs that had young girls singing their hearts out about being in love. This album is about a very real, rough time in James’ life, and the mood of the songs reflects those down times. The album is much heavier, darker and introspective.)

My point is not that the album was bad because of the stylistic change. There are tons of "heavier, darker and introspective" albums that are great, but this isn't one of them. It really doesn't matter to me how the album was advertised. My review was based on listening to the album, not the press release. If the album had incorporated heavier sounds but didn't sound like Mr. Dewees was trying to transcend Victory Records' catalog from the last year or two, my view might have been more favorable. I mean we're talking about a guy who was in Coalesce. With this in mind, he could have easily pulled off a great heavy Reggie album. It's hard to imagine seeing this album as anything but a let-down.
05:50 AM on 06/30/08
Karl Hansen
www.lowcutrock.com
User Info.
I thought the last album had some good songs, but this review made me confident that there is nothing on "Last Stop" that I will enjoy. The only songs I liked on "Songs Not To..." were the softer, poppy ones where James sang instead of screamed.

Great review!
06:52 PM on 07/26/08
Article
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Although I disagree I would say this is a fair review. Reggie has effected my life more than any other band so I am quite biased. I think this album shows a very honest side of James. I have found this to be true with all of the Reggie albums, but this time James seems to be in a way darker place. I interviewed James when Songs Not To Get Married To was released and it seemed like his life was headed in that direction. Overall I feel like this may be his weakest lyrical effort, but it kicks my ass and blows my mind musically! I have only listened to the album once btw....
03:20 AM on 08/02/08
koh139
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I can see how people would rate this lower than other Reggie albums but I doubt that it was James' intention to make a "Crappy" album as the review states. If you would actually listen to the progression of the Reggie discography you would see it get more serious and, for lack of a better word, angry. I think this reflects the things that James lived through during these times. This has been a journey following an artist writing music on his own since this is solo project. Although I agree that it is more 'screamo" than the last albums, I think that the review is missing the point. Reggie has talked about this as "the last tour" and if this is how his vision ends, I am all for it. Of all the previous albums I can list maybe 2 songs that I can't stand, and this album stands with "Under the Tray" as an album that I love from start to end. People forget that as time goes on, people progress in their musical style. If this is what James wants, then this what Reggie fans should expect.

I will be to 3 of the last 4 shows listed on the tour, and I will love it all. James personally gave me my keys back at the last TLA show I was at (lost them in the pit).

I personally don't think this is a "regression" from a "32 year old" I think this is what he feels. Isn't that what 'punk' is all about?

Finally, I find it funny that a website that has a logo like "Music Mends Broken Hearts" can be so crass to judge an album that follows a progression of albums from an artist that has been completely true. Before casting a bad review on the artist, maybe we should look at the genre.

Peace, and btw, BITCHES GET STITCHES!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version