Username
Password
AP.net Related News - Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 22 of 22.
02:25 PM on 12/03/13
Steeeve Perry
Pushin' th' little daisies
User Info.
Oh, and VU's best song is still Pale Blue Eyes (from their s/t).
02:27 PM on 12/03/13
Chris Collum
User Info.

Oh, and VU's best song is still Pale Blue Eyes (from their s/t).

You two should hang out
04:19 PM on 12/03/13
Steeeve Perry
Pushin' th' little daisies
User Info.
You two should hang out
We've probably argued over something pointless before, does that count?
06:23 PM on 12/03/13
Dan CiTi
To Let The World Be
User Info.
Not stir away attention from VU&Nico - it is probably the finest rock album ever made - but this article series is named after a Bob Dylan song no? Weird there isn't one on one of his many great records.

Anyway this album is profound in how it sounds so 60s yet in a way that isn't dated in any fashion, it just shows how in tune it was with the times it was and brutally human it is. Other groups at the time scratched at it, and Bob Dylan ended up being a sort of face for the generation, yet Lou Reed did what he could never do. He tore all those fucking bandages off and didn't mute any screams and screeches. He showed the gnarly side of humanity, and the beauty there in as well as the how the most beautiful things can be so awful too. It is also incredible how much like New York (City) this album feels. It's like it is breathing, and when I miss NYC I put this LP on and remember why it is called "the city that never sleeps" - it's really all fucking there, and no album has ever really come close to doing that for me, besides possibly Illmatic.

The depiction of hard drugs like heroin VU&Nico versus stuff like acid on Pet Sounds, 5th Dimension, Pepper, Piper at the Gates of Dawn, Are You Experienced, etc. is very interesting to me. While Pet Sounds' lyrics are hardly idealistic, they still mainly deal with love and the relationships with yourself and those you love (then taking a total left turn with Smile, yet not the one Lou or Dylan took incredibly.) It's a bit of a shame how the soft, messy haze of Sgt. Pepper became such a tenpole when Revolver was a much more concise piece of work too.

The biggest thing really is perspective. In New York things weren't sunny, they were and still are dark, dirty, and crowded. The buildings are close together, It doesn't have golden Californian sands or the lovely English countryside, even the Golden Gate bridge or Buckingham Palace. The decadence isn't in natural or historic splendor - the tall buildings - office building and hotels are there to attract and make money. It just sets the tone for albums like this or The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan.

It's beautiful how the influence of the off-beat, transgressive album of the century was felt. You really get down and listen to this and White Light / White Heat and so much released between 1976 and 1996 shows it's roots clear as day. Sure plenty of other albums like Pet Sounds and Highway 61 Revisited are fantastic and influential, but the spread on The Velvet Underground & Nico's shot to chest is without peer.
06:35 PM on 12/03/13
Chris Collum
User Info.
Not stir away attention from VU&Nico - it is probably the finest rock album ever made - but this article series is named after a Bob Dylan song no? Weird there isn't one on one of his many great records.
Yes it is, and we will do one on him at some point, probably about Blood on the Tracks
08:13 PM on 12/03/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Anyway this album is profound in how it sounds so 60s yet in a way that isn't dated in any fashion, it just shows how in tune it was with the times it was and brutally human it is. Other groups at the time scratched at it, and Bob Dylan ended up being a sort of face for the generation, yet Lou Reed did what he could never do. He tore all those fucking bandages off and didn't mute any screams and screeches. He showed the gnarly side of humanity, and the beauty there in as well as the how the most beautiful things can be so awful too. It is also incredible how much like New York (City) this album feels. It's like it is breathing, and when I miss NYC I put this LP on and remember why it is called "the city that never sleeps" - it's really all fucking there, and no album has ever really come close to doing that for me, besides possibly Illmatic.

Just wanted to say that I really liked you description of the album in this paragraph. It totally is perfect in the way it exposes the utter imperfection of its creators.

Yes it is, and we will do one on him at some point, probably about Blood on the Tracks

Yes please.
02:57 AM on 01/17/14
Memphis
Eight miles high and falling fast
User Info.
Great read. This is the definition of a timeless record, it doesn't age at all. And I love
Nico's voice, have you guys heard Chelsea Girl?

Although TVU&N was waaaaaaaaaay ahead of its time and undoubtedly an immense influence on countless people, I think saying it was "the first stone in the foundation of punk rock" is a little bit of a stretch. There were others -- namely The Troggs, The Who, The Kinks, The Kingsmen, The Trashmen -- and each and every one of them owed a great deal to those that came before...
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests