AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
Money News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Money
Inside AP.net

How Much Does Each Streaming Service Pay Out?

Posted by: Jason Tate (12/16/13)
Gryffin Media has compiled an infographic for Digital Music News showing what each of the digital streaming websites are paying out to bands and labels.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 27
05:05 PM on 12/16/13
taborbrown
www.twitter.com/taborbrown
User Info.
Feel good about switching to Rdio.
05:10 PM on 12/16/13
slimfenix182
Registered Member
User Info.
Average of 456 song streams to make a DOLLAR. Wow.
05:18 PM on 12/16/13
ImOnFire54321
@jackgazdik
User Info.
Very cool. I love Rdio and it's great to see them top the list.
05:24 PM on 12/16/13
Ryan Dennehy
Guess I'll go to Rdio if I ever go back to paying for streaming. It'll come soon I'm sure.
05:50 PM on 12/16/13
iAMhollyood315
Rest is for the dead
User Info.
Feel good about switching to Rdio.
I really don't know why its not peoples first choice over spotify anyway, the UI is way way cleaner and easier to navigate, spotify is just a mess as far as organization, design and layout. To me its like Rdio is like using an iPhone and Spotify is like using Android.

and they at least give a full penny, not pulling some office space fraction of a penny bullshit haha.
05:51 PM on 12/16/13
veronabryce
User Info.
Bands are getting so ripped. Haha that amount of money does nothing. Unless you have like billions of plays.
Another case of the rich getting richer and those who struggle staying poor.

How are you supposed to be proud of going to the bank to cash a check for jack shit?

These companies are getting paid monthly for a service that is just giving away other people's art...
06:02 PM on 12/16/13
ParkwayTom
Forgive me, Nashville
User Info.
Absolutely horrible.
06:25 PM on 12/16/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Bands are getting so ripped. Haha that amount of money does nothing. Unless you have like billions of plays.
Another case of the rich getting richer and those who struggle staying poor.

How are you supposed to be proud of going to the bank to cash a check for jack shit?

These companies are getting paid monthly for a service that is just giving away other people's art...
Hmm, well, the rate is higher than what terrestrial radio has paid for years. So, while I agree it's still a relatively small amount, it's actually a larger percentage than artists have been getting from radio for years. The difference is that with the radio the payments were to a smaller pool of bands ($100 to 10 bands vs 100 to 100000 bands -- if you wanna look at the a simplified math version).

They're not just giving away other people's art though -- there are licensing deals and contracts that are in place here, no one is forced to take part and can withdraw their music if they would like.
06:34 PM on 12/16/13
Ghostpsalm
Really Impressive Title
User Info.
I was wondering when an updated chart would come out. That old pink circle chart was pretty dated. It's improved a little! A little...
06:42 PM on 12/16/13
Chemical Love
-
User Info.
I still haven't bought into streaming music services.
06:48 PM on 12/16/13
bunneh.
make moves, son
User Info.
Feel pretty good about jumping on that Rido train a few months back. This also motivates me to get on my record player setup so I can support the bands I love by getting their traditional media. I only hope they make significantly more selling an LP vs a stream from me.
07:00 PM on 12/16/13
iAMhollyood315
Rest is for the dead
User Info.
I still haven't bought into streaming music services.
not sure your personal situation but for me it works. I don't earn that much money and very often per month their is at least 2 to sometimes 5 releases I want to listen to and check out, i can either purchase those albums legally and pay 20-$60 or so dollars a month, or I can steal them off the pirate bay or I can do the streaming service for 10 bucks a month. it saves me from hunting the internet and I can have my music on computer, phone, car anyplace I need it legally.

however some bands thats mean a lot to me I will purchase such as ETID or Bal and Comp, then its nice to have that physical copy. but its too costly to buy everything so I pick and choose.
07:02 PM on 12/16/13
eriatarka24
User Info.
Yeah, this has confirmed my subscribing to rdio once i can afford to subscribe at all.
07:09 PM on 12/16/13
Steve_JustAGuy
www.justaguy.us
User Info.
not sure your personal situation but for me it works. I don't earn that much money and very often per month their is at least 2 to sometimes 5 releases I want to listen to and check out, i can either purchase those albums legally and pay 20-$60 or so dollars a month, or I can steal them off the pirate bay or I can do the streaming service for 10 bucks a month. it saves me from hunting the internet and I can have my music on computer, phone, car anyplace I need it legally.

however some bands thats mean a lot to me I will purchase such as ETID or Bal and Comp, then its nice to have that physical copy. but its too costly to buy everything so I pick and choose.

I'm the same way, I use Google Music because I pay like $8 a month and get it anywhere I want. Not a perfect solution for the artists, but as someone said earlier, they don't have to be featured on services.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests