AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Bright Eyes News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Updated: Response from Conor Oberst's Publicist

Posted by - 12:02 PM on 01/06/14
Trigger warning: Sexual assault descriptions. An accusation has begun making the rounds of the internet after it was picked up from the comments of one post and then posted to Tumblr. From there it's been growing. The accusation is one of rape, ten years ago, by Conor Oberst. It now appears that the original poster has created a blog and posted more information about how and why this came out where and as it did. She has also been answering/responding to a few questions as well.

Update: We have received a statement from Conor Oberst's publicist.
Usually we wouldn't feel the urge to comment on spurious blog chatter but the recent allegations made about Conor Oberst by an anonymous commenter on the xoJane website are flagrant enough to demand our response. This individual's accusations are absolutely, unequivocally false. Unfortunately, the internet allows for groundless statements like this to travel the world before the truth has any time to surface. This is a particularly serious and sickening allegation and there is no truth to it. Conor has nothing but abhorrence for the perpetrators of such crimes of sexual violence. The behavior attributed to him by this individual is in direct opposition to his principles. Conor is consulting with a libel attorney regarding this matter.

Over the past couple years we've seen an uptick in these kinds of articles hitting the internet, how we cover them is something that remains a struggle and a work in progress of how to best present the information to you. At this point the information we have is what is included at the aforementioned links.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 471
12:10 PM on 01/06/14
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
oh boy.... I am not excited to watch this all happen, true, false, or anything
12:10 PM on 01/06/14
a speedo model
an enthusiast
User Info.
Jeez...
12:13 PM on 01/06/14
AP_Punk
Anarchist Cat Owner
User Info.
Whoa
12:18 PM on 01/06/14
Vance Mook
Fastest Kid in School
User Info.
Jesus. I truly hope Oberst responds to this and we get to the bottom of it. The kind of thing you hope is false, but is so tough to read...pretty much speechless at the moment.
12:18 PM on 01/06/14
StephenYoung
dumb
User Info.
Was the original post about Conor Oberst as well? I saw this on facebook recently. So fucked up.
12:21 PM on 01/06/14
salsanova
Albe
User Info.
I guess he really wanted a lover he didn't have to love...
12:30 PM on 01/06/14
Isolated
is awesome.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Hilarious!!! OMG SO FUNNY LOLOLOL
12:30 PM on 01/06/14
Isolated
is awesome.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Sorry if I seemed overly excited in that last post - that joke was just really, really, really funny. Well done mate!
12:32 PM on 01/06/14
Vance Mook
Fastest Kid in School
User Info.
Well, that didn't take too long. Guaranteed poor taste within a matter of posts! Users like you are the worst.
12:33 PM on 01/06/14
jjm1
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Wow, horrible. Although, sadly, im not shocked that Conor Oberst is a rapist.
12:35 PM on 01/06/14
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Sorry if I seemed overly excited in that last post - that joke was just really, really, really funny. Well done mate!
.......not funny
12:41 PM on 01/06/14
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
Makes me wonder who the first story was about, that one is really really sad to read
12:43 PM on 01/06/14
Privr005
User Info.
I have to say, i really like the way you guys posted this news story, based on the shaky ground of the source(s). Tough situation for sites to cover accurately, even tougher for the parties involved.
12:43 PM on 01/06/14
jpmalone4
Avoid Eye Contact Monthly
User Info.
Wow, horrible. Although, sadly, im not shocked that Conor Oberst is a rapist.
It's pretty shocking to me, especially since he always had that "sensitive guy" image.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos