Username
Password
Blog News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Blog
Inside AP.net

Blog, Rant, Thingy: The New Can't Just Be The Old

Posted by: Jason Tate (01/13/14)
What does beer and a little extra time on my hands equal? A lengthier write-up on some of my thoughts on the current state of the music industry and how we're currently in the new normal. If you've got some time, I'd love if you'd check it out.
This is also indicative of an old school media mentality — the idea that everything in music should be a blockbuster or relatively dismissed. You see this in the movie industry as well — the machine is too large to be nimble in the face of change and each cycle is so expensive that anything but “blockbuster” status isn’t profitable. But, I ask, what’s wrong with going underground and developing a niche audience? What is wrong with making that the default for the music industry? The internet allows for small pockets of fans to finance relatively small pockets of artists — I think the entire premise of huge bands and superstars is flawed from the start. The internet has allowed musical tastes to diversify — I believe success can be found promoting toward the niches, not toward the masses.

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14.
12:01 PM on 01/13/14
Steve_JustAGuy
www.justaguy.us
User Info.
Spot on! Great points, especially with the movie industry, reminded me of a piece on Grantland on Rain Man and how that movie would never get made today. You see that "Blockbuster" line of thinking popping up today in music (although not as often, as it's easier to record music than film movies). These people think they're being progressive when really they're spinning their tires.
12:02 PM on 01/13/14
Dustin Harkins
Go support Kony 2012 some more
User Info.
Still reading right now but I'm blown away that this guy said touring wasn't about expanding your audience.
12:04 PM on 01/13/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
Spot on! Great points, especially with the movie industry, reminded me of a piece on Grantland on Rain Man and how that movie would never get made today. You see that "Blockbuster" line of thinking popping up today in music (although not as often, as it's easier to record music than film movies). These people think they're being progressive when really they're spinning their tires.
I read that same article last night and added it to my "need to share/post" list. Really good article.
12:42 PM on 01/13/14
nevelsaynevels
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I get way to emotionally invested in reading articles like these, I shouldn't be this stressed out by someone's opinion..

I agree with pretty much every counterpoint you made.
12:58 PM on 01/13/14
jpepe
User Info.
GREAT post Jason! I find myself reading Lefsetz and having the same love/hate feelings as well. Your staff member, Jake Jenkins, has covered my band, Cairo Fire (www.cairofire.com) on absolutepunk and I love your take on the industry and how to navigate through it. I am also an intern for Steve Rennie's show RenmanMB and I will be forwarding this along to his team to see if they'll send it out as a social media link for their audience. Thanks for the the site and the insightful blog post!
02:13 PM on 01/13/14
JellyBelly91
User Info.
Could not agree more. The parallels to the film industry are particularly striking, and I believe this same mentality can also be homed in on as a primary reason for a lot of societal issues as well.
02:19 PM on 01/13/14
pepster50
User Info.
I've disagreed with your opinions before JT, but this was one well written down to earth article. I agree whole-heartedly
04:18 PM on 01/13/14
Johnnydcp
User Info.
Great article. Thanks for writing it.
07:31 PM on 01/13/14
lostintheair
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
reads like someone who has never read lefsetz before, which i know isnt the case
07:49 PM on 01/13/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
reads like someone who has never read lefsetz before, which i know isnt the case
Seeing as that's addressed in literally the first sentence ... yeah, I obviously read his blog? Not following your point ...
07:29 AM on 01/14/14
cowlord
stahp
User Info.
Definitely agreed on pretty much every point.

Also for what its worth, i've heard ar least two new Beyonce songs on radio pretty regularly in my area.
08:34 AM on 01/14/14
livinginpixels
User Info.
I know this is going to sound shallow, but I think it's realistic.

When the reward for music is diminished, all these wonderfully talented people will abandon it. The reason people take a risk and dedicate themselves to music is because they believe they can achieve fame and wealth.

Otherwise, why suffer?

Why not take up a day job, and just enjoy music as a hobby?
10:10 AM on 01/14/14
shtjames
User Info.
i really needed to read this. thanks dude. i think you are dead-on with a lot of what you said. it directly applies to my situation in the music industry. ive got a few things to think about
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS