AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Radio News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

John Roderick: "We Are Satisfied With Worse, Because There's So...

Posted by - 04:41 PM on 01/21/14
John Roderick was recently interviewed on the CMD+Space podcast, and he brought up some intereting thoughts on the internet, bands, marketing your music, and how having more of everything has led to us being statisfied with worse. I found the podcast from Marco's blog, and he pulled out some interesting quotes:
I hate to sound curmudgeonly, but … what is inevitable is that the mean quality of everything is declining. In the early ’70s, it was very expensive to make a record, and you had to be really good at it to even get into the studio to give it a shot. The record companies were very selective, and the music that made it all the way out to the marketplace was astonishingly good. Think about the music that came out between 1962 and 1972: what an astonishing quality of music, in every genre. Ten different genres of music were invented and perfected.

Now, we live in a world where there are probably more records coming out this week than what came out in all of 1967. All of that quantity probably hasn’t produced a single record that was as good as the worst record from 1967. Everything is easier to make, so more people are making it, the standard is so much lower for what you need, and it’s a confusing din.

As a culture, we are satisfied with worse, because there’s so much more of everything.

When a Marvin Gaye record came out 40 years ago, presumably, you went and spent your record-buying allowance on it, and you brought it home and listened to it exclusively for 2 weeks. It was an investment. This was it! You’re going to listen to this, or you’ve got an AM radio and a newspaper.

Now, we’re just clicking through songs. “How does this one sound? Oh, that’s good. How does this one sound? Pretty good. This one’s good.”

We’re just flipping through index cards.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 19
04:44 PM on 01/21/14
jdaniels
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Jason tell me a blog post will happen on this?
04:45 PM on 01/21/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
Jason tell me a blog post will happen on this?
Haha. It's in my "you should write about this" folder right now -- I have a lot of thoughts on it all and need to figure some time to organize them. I have a couple posts I've been meaning to find some time to write. Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to get some good time in ... I really like this topic -- but really would want more time to research everything before coming to a full opinion.

PS: Thanks for reading my blog.
04:52 PM on 01/21/14
flyingmonkey711
User Info.
Haha. It's in my "you should write about this" folder right now -- I have a lot of thoughts on it all and need to figure some time to organize them. I have a couple posts I've been meaning to find some time to write. Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to get some good time in ... I really like this topic -- but really would want more time to research everything before coming to a full opinion.

PS: Thanks for reading my blog.

Irony in the fact that we're using the internet to ask you to write a blog about an article we read about using the internet to click through songs we want to hear like it's no big deal? lol.

Sidenote: I too would like to see you write on this topic and would gladly read it.
04:55 PM on 01/21/14
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
Listened to this the other day. Great episode
04:59 PM on 01/21/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
Listened to this the other day. Great episode
(I'm crossing the streams!)
05:09 PM on 01/21/14
anamericangod
User Info.
Great points.
09:22 PM on 01/21/14
JGG
User Info.
I too, would read your thoughts, Jason, on this topic!
11:10 PM on 01/21/14
rollerman4221
Woof!
User Info.
I am indifferent to Jason writing on this topic.
05:48 AM on 01/22/14
Jake Jenkins
dont talk to me
User Info.
"Now, we live in a world where there are probably more records coming out this week than what came out in all of 1967. All of that quantity probably hasn’t produced a single record that was as good as the worst record from 1967. Everything is easier to make, so more people are making it, the standard is so much lower for what you need, and it’s a confusing din."

I don't like this part at all
07:59 AM on 01/22/14
QuietThings430
Stop liking things.
User Info.
Interesting way to put it but if we honestly expect the music industry to "get better" constantly circle-jerking music from the past won't help. At all. At least, that's what I think.
08:00 AM on 01/22/14
QuietThings430
Stop liking things.
User Info.
"Ten different genres of music were invented and perfected."

And not a single one was vaporwave or trap.
08:09 AM on 01/22/14
Sawhney[rusted]
User Info.
If feel like this argument could go the other way too. He is completely disregarding the fact that the relatively cheap start-up cost to make a record now-a-days allows for a larger talent pool to make records that they would not have been able to otherwise. Yes, this gives way to some crappy albums, but you can't deny that so many bands that are amazing as of right now. Many of these bands don't make it to the big stage not because they aren't making good albums, but that they aren't marketable to a large audience, making them risky investments on major labels' parts. Also, I would believe that there were also crappy albums made between that time period that were allowed to be made because once labels invested a certain amount of time and energy into a band, they would rather have that small pool of bands make albums regardless of quality because they are a proven sale and they don't want to put in more effort trying to find as many other bands.

But I don't really know anything about the subject. Interesting to think about fur shure.
08:33 AM on 01/22/14
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
"Now, we live in a world where there are probably more records coming out this week than what came out in all of 1967. All of that quantity probably hasn’t produced a single record that was as good as the worst record from 1967. Everything is easier to make, so more people are making it, the standard is so much lower for what you need, and it’s a confusing din."

yeah, that is a terrible portion
08:42 AM on 01/22/14
Matt Chylak
contextblues.wordpress.co m
User Info.

haha but "he doesn't want to sound curmudgeonly"

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests