AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
UK News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
UK
Inside AP.net

The Guardian Asks: Should We Have a Problem With...

Posted by: Jason Tate (01/28/14)
Tshepo Mokoena, writing for the Guardian, asks if we should have a problem with Beyonce's "Drunk in Love" due to the domestic violence portions.
There was a degree of criticism from blogs and the mainstream media around the time of the album's release, although much of the dust from that seemed to have settled up until Sunday night's Grammy performance. But why? On a record that critics lauded as Beyonce's most feminist to date, and one she proudly dubs her most honest so far, it's strange to see two major stars shoehorn a domestic violence reference into a track that otherwise celebrates love and all the glory of marital hook-ups. Plus, it's annoying to have a few lines detract from the majesty of Beyoncé twanging on about the "surfboard" she's riding in the tub.

Displaying posts 1 - 13 of 13
11:13 AM on 01/28/14
QuietThings430
Stop liking things.
User Info.
While I do appreciate the media critiquing works for their questionable content, I honestly feel like this blogging thinkpiece culture of deeming anything and everything problematic is getting out of hand. Mainly because when Guardian or HuffPo or whatever other publication does it, it feels like that douchey teacher you had in high school: it only seems to care when it's doing something wrong.

None of these publications (at least from what I'm known of) are praising the subversiveness of albums like Yeezus or The Electric Lady or Transgender Dysphoria Blues. Well, okay they are but it feels like it completely overshadows "Macklemore exploits homosexual oppression" or "Lorde hates Black Culture" because those headlines are far more eye-raising and therefore more likely to get clicks. It just seems like these publications don't give a shit about the music and are just exploiting these #problematic songs for clickbait viral trending.

And while the questionable statements in certain pop songs can upset me, this honestly upsets me a bit more.
11:17 AM on 01/28/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
While I do appreciate the media critiquing works for their questionable content, I honestly feel like this blogging thinkpiece culture of deeming anything and everything problematic is getting out of hand. Mainly because when Guardian or HuffPo or whatever other publication does it, it feels like that douchey teacher you had in high school: it only seems to care when it's doing something wrong.

None of these publications (at least from what I'm known of) are praising the subversiveness of albums like Yeezus or The Electric Lady or Transgender Dysphoria Blues. Well, okay they are but it feels like it completely overshadows "Macklemore exploits homosexual oppression" or "Lorde hates Black Culture" because those headlines are far more eye-raising and therefore more likely to get clicks. It just seems like these publications don't give a shit about the music and are just exploiting these #problematic songs for clickbait viral trending.

And while the questionable statements in certain pop songs can upset me, this honestly upsets me a bit more.
I think the hard part is finding the signal through the noise ... you can google just about anything now and get someone defending or destroying it in 3000 words or more.
11:24 AM on 01/28/14
QuietThings430
Stop liking things.
User Info.
I think the hard part is finding the signal through the noise ... you can google just about anything now and get someone defending or destroying it in 3000 words or more.
This is true.

I mean this week alone, we're seeing so much of it. I honestly don't think I've ever seen a song as polarizing as "Same Love". Both sides are so passionately fighting for or against it. Going by just the internet alone it is both "the most important and inspiring song of our generation and is proof that homophobia is over (lol I saw people on fb actually say this)" and "the single worst thing ever (next to Blurred Lines)".
11:30 AM on 01/28/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
This is true.

I mean this week alone, we're seeing so much of it. I honestly don't think I've ever seen a song as polarizing as "Same Love". Both sides are so passionately fighting for or against it. Going by just the internet alone it is both "the most important and inspiring song of our generation and is proof that homophobia is over (lol I saw people on fb actually say this)" and "the single worst thing ever (next to Blurred Lines)".
Yeah, social media has given way to the hyperbole generation. Hah.
11:43 AM on 01/28/14
anbatal
User Info.
This is true.

I've seen a lot of straight people saying "Same Love" is really inspirational but most people who identify themselves as LGBTQIA seem unhappy about it as it really comes across as "straight savior".
11:55 AM on 01/28/14
QuietThings430
Stop liking things.
User Info.
I've seen a lot of straight people saying "Same Love" is really inspirational but most people who identify themselves as LGBTQIA seem unhappy about it as it really comes across as "straight savior".
Yeah and I understand why. I enjoy a couple Macklemore songs and even really like "Same Love" when it came out but it does feel like it's exploiting homosexual oppression even if he didn't intend to.
12:08 PM on 01/28/14
Guitar138
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Yeah and I understand why. I enjoy a couple Macklemore songs and even really like "Same Love" when it came out but it does feel like it's exploiting homosexual oppression even if he didn't intend to.
I agree with that sentiment. I truly don't think that was his intention, due to the lack of celebrity he had when the song was written (and really even when the album was released). But the masses have definitely turned it into a bigger issue of hypocrisy. It's getting to the point where it doesn't even seem to matter what songs were written about or why, but moreso what everyone wants to make of it.
12:27 PM on 01/28/14
Ollie McKraut
Registered Member
User Info.
Beyonce stepped out of line, she really needs to apologize
01:30 PM on 01/28/14
sweetfootaction
Cake-eater
User Info.
Sick of this constant tumblr-era social justice nonsense. Everybody is upset about everything, and it's bullshit. Shut up and enjoy life.
06:00 PM on 01/28/14
OctoberOrigins
Jack
User Info.
I'm not even sure why she thought it was okay tbh
05:43 AM on 01/29/14
PandaBear!
\m/ (-.-) \m/
User Info.
I agree with that sentiment. I truly don't think that was his intention, due to the lack of celebrity he had when the song was written (and really even when the album was released). But the masses have definitely turned it into a bigger issue of hypocrisy. It's getting to the point where it doesn't even seem to matter what songs were written about or why, but moreso what everyone wants to make of it.

This. People seem to forget that, despite how blatantly obvious some creators of media make their messages, consumers always come to their own conclusions about what a texts messages are. 'Blurred Lines' is not obviously about date rape/rape culture, but some lyrics can be interpreted that way when looking at them from that side of things. Many people have done that, so Robin Thicke is fucked. I feel sorry for Macklemore in this instance because to me it seems his intentions were good - just because he isn't LGBT, doesn't mean his message is lessened & he is being a "straight savior".
08:05 PM on 01/31/14
kbomb001
Jesus Saves
User Info.
The bit about people disrespecting Kitty made me mad as shit
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music