Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 7 posts
11:44 PM on 02/09/14
Vance Mook
Creative Director // Gannon Edge
User Info.
Excellent, excellent review Thomas- basically encapsulates everything I want to like about this record.

For me, it's a double-edged sword; the lyrics are often relatable or absurdly specific, the vocals either fitting or off-putting. I guess my biggest problem is that while this may be one of the best albums to come from this "genre" yet, it still doesn't do much (if anything) to separate itself from the Front-Bottoms or Tiny Moving Parts of McCafferty. I will say that "Charlie Black" and "Your Graduation" are near-classics. and that closer is gorgeous. I sincerely hate"Going to Bed Now" though.
02:17 PM on 02/10/14
Vance Mook
User Info.
Yeahh, like I said, I'm really torn on the lyrics here. I can say "Who cares?" to a point because it's what the band does, but come on..."My breath smells like coffee and garlic?" Something about "Bitter pills in chocolate pudding"...these are the ones that kill me. Again, I really, really want to like this record more than I do. For me, it's about a 7.
04:35 PM on 11/30/14
Vance Mook
User Info.
Welp - I finally came around. I think this album rules. Only song I hate is (still) "Going to Bed Now." The rest, lyrically, is oddly fitting and relatable to me. Also don't think the vocals are nearly as bad as people claim, and the hooks are really fun. It's like someone threw the Front Bottoms, Motion City Soundtrack, and the Weakerthans into a blender.

Also, "Pothole" is gorgeous.
07:34 PM on 11/30/14
Vance Mook
User Info.
Aaron man we're cool and all but comparing this to MCS and the Weakerthans? Yikes.
Thomas mentioned it in his review as well; a lot of the lyrics carry that same quirkiness.
09:43 PM on 11/30/14
Vance Mook
User Info.
I wasn't a fan of the Modern Baseball lyrics I know at all. Both the other bands are hit or miss but when they hit they really fucking hit.

Love u
I'm not entirely sure what other bands you're talking about, but ilu2
11:57 PM on 11/30/14
Vance Mook
User Info.
Ah, I didn't catch that; I never said it was as good or better than either band, just that the lyrics are often quirky like MCS' and the vocals are sometimes not far off from the Weakerthans.
02:24 PM on 12/04/14
Vance Mook
User Info.
i guess i sort of take that phrase loosely compared to other people. to me when people say that, specifically the idea of mixing parts of different bands, i look at it as a more aesthetic thing than a hard comparison. i see where you were coming from though.
You've got the right idea.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version