Username
Password

Comments: Page 4
Displaying posts 45 - 60 of 192
08:15 AM on 02/17/14
Dave Diddy
I knew better, I just didn't care
User Info.
Yeah how has everyone gotten their hands on this already? Thought it was a Feb. 25th release?
08:17 AM on 02/17/14
Chris Collum
User Info.
Yeah how has everyone gotten their hands on this already? Thought it was a Feb. 25th release?
Digital downloads were sent out already for those who pre-ordered. Also I think you might be able to buy it early on their bandcamp
08:25 AM on 02/17/14
mka12992
polarisamour.bandcamp.com
User Info.
Digital downloads were sent out already for those who pre-ordered. Also I think you might be able to buy it early on their bandcamp
Can't buy it on Bandcamp, but I think if you get the digital download from Tiny Engines' store you'll get it immediately.

Probably gonna bite the bullet and pre-order this today... Was debating whether I should hold off until my local record store had it, but I figure it'd be cheaper to pre-order anyway.
08:25 AM on 02/17/14
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
That was a great review. Early contender for album of the year for sure.
08:26 AM on 02/17/14
Chris Collum
User Info.
Can't buy it on Bandcamp, but I think if you get the digital download from Tiny Engines' store you'll get it immediately.

Probably gonna bite the bullet and pre-order this today... Was debating whether I should hold off until my local record store had it, but I figure it'd be cheaper to pre-order anyway.
Yeah I'd pre-order, no idea what physical distro will be like. First pressing's almost sold out too
08:50 AM on 02/17/14
gurby
the kids can't lose
User Info.
amazing review and album. love these guys.
08:55 AM on 02/17/14
JamieTheSonger
05 Fuck Em
User Info.
This is a beautiful review.
08:57 AM on 02/17/14
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Yeah I miss him too, but I just have accepted that that whole situation is what it is and there's not gonna be another Truckers record like Dirty South or Decoration Day. And honestly while I obviously miss his songwriting, I miss his guitar work even more. Wish he'd make a full-on rock 'n roll record with the 400 Unit.

If the Truckers keep on cranking out records like English Oceans this deep in their career though, and Isbell keeps improving as a solo artist at the rate he has been, I think we're all winners here haha.

Oh yeah, I mean, I definitely think we're getting the better end of the deal, since English Oceans is still a damn fine piece of work and since Isbell just gets better and better solo. But I definitely miss the slower, more restrained moments he brought to the Truckers albums. "Goddamn Lonely Love," manů

Would love an all-out rock album from Isbell next time around though. More stuff like "Go It Alone" would be welcome, especially now that he's made his "bearing his soul" acoustic album.
09:04 AM on 02/17/14
Star Slight
User Info.
Quote:
Even though all nine songs on this record are absolutely interconnected, the world of Home, Like Noplace Is There is not one in which every agonizing detail of the lyrical narrative is spelled out for the listener

Very true, almost an anti-Wonder Years as far as specificity
09:21 AM on 02/17/14
11:11
Soft sound
User Info.
This album hit so hard. Especially "Life in Drag", I'm glad to see more and more people writing about gender dysphoria. Amazing review Chris.
09:30 AM on 02/17/14
Vance Mook
Fastest Kid in School
User Info.
Fuck, man. You hit this one outta the park, Chris. One of the best reviews I've read on this site in a long, long time.

Record is unbelievably good- probably my favorite release of the year thus far. "Your Deep Rest" is easily one of the best songs I've heard this year, as well. More comments to follow when I'm not in class haha
10:14 AM on 02/17/14
Chris Collum
User Info.
Very true, almost an anti-Wonder Years as far as specificity
Absolutely agree with this. Interesting that Christian addresses some topics Soupy likes to write about--class consciousness for example--but goes about it in a totally different and in my opinion much more effective manner.

This album hit so hard. Especially "Life in Drag", I'm glad to see more and more people writing about gender dysphoria. Amazing review Chris.
Agreed. Doesn't hurt that it's made for some great art so far too! haha

Fuck, man. You hit this one outta the park, Chris. One of the best reviews I've read on this site in a long, long time.

Record is unbelievably good- probably my favorite release of the year thus far. "Your Deep Rest" is easily one of the best songs I've heard this year, as well. More comments to follow when I'm not in class haha
Thanks bud!
10:22 AM on 02/17/14
Chris Collum
User Info.
In case anyone missed it you can buy the thing for $6 right now on their bandcamp; instant download. Do it! Also the vinyl is almost sold out

http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthre...ost1311 04881
10:41 AM on 02/17/14
Vance Mook
Fastest Kid in School
User Info.
Some more fleshed out thoughts on the review/record:

1.You got it Chris. Again, this review is monstrous both in size and quality- so great to hear someone else reference Nothing Feels Good, a book that changed the way I listened to music. This is the kind of review that AP.net gets remembered for, like Jason's ...Is a Real Boy or Thomas's On the Impossible Past reviews.

2.This review only makes me want to listen to this record AGAIN for the umpteenth time this week; it's like a film you watch and pull something different from each time you see it, whether you've seen it once or a hundred times.

3. I love how many different influences this record flaunts- mainly the Weakerthans and the Menzingers. I remember enjoying their debut, but in reality forgot about the band and didn't recognize the name change when people started talking about this. Ended up being a complete surprise, and if this somehow doesn't end up in my Top 10 for the year, this year is going to be something else entirel y for AP.net.

Finally, I love the idea of someone younger stumbling upon this album the way I stumbled upon Take This to Your Grave and Deja Entendu in my brother's CD collection. Again, hats off Chris and congratulations to the band for creating such a potent and memorable record. As close to an "instant classic" in the genre as you can get.
10:49 AM on 02/17/14
Mitch
this is water
User Info.
somebody hook me up with the lyrics ok

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT