Username
Password

Comments: Page 5
Displaying posts 60 - 75 of 183
11:01 AM on 02/17/14
holypinto
http://holypinto.bandcamp.com
User Info.
Nothing Feels Good is such an excellent book. Glad you gave Andy a shoutout.

Just got this album last night and looking forward to delving into it on my drive home tonight
11:47 AM on 02/17/14
viZ^
Editor @ Rockfreaks.net
User Info.
I love to read reviews on here although I think they often get too long for their own good, and while this goes to some extent for this as well, I must say I loved the specificity of it. As a songwriting nerd, I loved your observations about the themes, lyricism and the waltz time observation. I think a lot of people get little out of those, but that's the kind of stuff I always hope to read in a review. Anyway, just wanted to really commend the good work. Am writing my article for our site tomorrow hopefully, and hoping to do the record as much justice even in a shorter write-up. :)
12:11 PM on 02/17/14
smelladelphia
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
favorite record i've heard in a long ass time. these guys are really onto something
12:41 PM on 02/17/14
absintheparty9
Step back. Evaluate. Recognize.
User Info.
Kickass review, I was going to hold off on pre-ordering but you changed my mind.
Also, funny to see Andy Greenwald's name pop-up. I only know of him currently as the crackhead that is giving True Detective negative reviews over at Grantland. Really interesting to find out he authored the Nothing Feels Good book, because I'm sure I would really enjoy that. Hopefully that will balance out my current disdain for his, in my opinion, extremely shortsighted analysis of the best drama currently on TV. Neat.
12:53 PM on 02/17/14
magneto
DIE ON STAGE
User Info.
Spent the weekend with this record and I love it more each time I listen
01:37 PM on 02/17/14
TylerHartman
User Info.
Went into this, not having heard a single thing by this guys. Holy balls.

It truly has the "timeless" element to it. Sounds like it could be from 1998 or 2014...just good music. Really good music.
02:01 PM on 02/17/14
Vance Mook
Fastest Kid in School
User Info.
Went into this, not having heard a single thing by this guys. Holy balls.

It truly has the "timeless" element to it. Sounds like it could be from 1998 or 2014...just good music. Really good music.
Backed, totally.
02:12 PM on 02/17/14
TheUpside
It All Feels Like an Ending
User Info.
Fantastic review. I really enjoyed reading it, and completely agree with your assessment.

The last time a piece of music floored me like this album did on first listen was when 'On The Impossible Past' dropped.
Just listened to it for the first time and I agree. Very seldom am I jaw-dropped on one listen.
02:17 PM on 02/17/14
TheUpside
It All Feels Like an Ending
User Info.
Yeah I miss him too, but I just have accepted that that whole situation is what it is and there's not gonna be another Truckers record like Dirty South or Decoration Day. And honestly while I obviously miss his songwriting, I miss his guitar work even more. Wish he'd make a full-on rock 'n roll record with the 400 Unit.

If the Truckers keep on cranking out records like English Oceans this deep in their career though, and Isbell keeps improving as a solo artist at the rate he has been, I think we're all winners here haha.
English Oceans is probably my favorite Truckers album that doesn't feature Isbell. I liked Brighter than Creation's Dark a lot, tolerated Big To-Do, couldn't stand Go Go boots, and wasn't expecting much from this one- but I love it. I don't have to skip half of Hood's songs like I have on the last 3, and "Grand Canyon" is a beast of a beauty of a song. Even though it sounds nothing like it, it's probably as close as he'll come to writing another "The Living Bubba."
02:30 PM on 02/17/14
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
Probably haven't listened to this is about two weeks or so but it's still fantastic.
03:10 PM on 02/17/14
ACA
Next Show: The Eagles 9/10/2014
User Info.
If this is your introduction to the band, do yourself and grab their entire discography asap. Great fucking band. Their 2011 record is a masterpiece.
04:24 PM on 02/17/14
Etrain4242
User Info.
This is awesome. Never heard of these guys before, but am going to be playing this on repeat for a while. Housebroken seems like something off a Ludo album.
04:39 PM on 02/17/14
mka12992
Is this darkness in you too?
User Info.
If this is your introduction to the band, do yourself and grab their entire discography asap. Great fucking band. Their 2011 record is a masterpiece.
This is by far more worthy of the title "masterpiece" in my eyes.
04:47 PM on 02/17/14
JayDanielHammer
then-now-maggle.tumblr.com
User Info.
i have to listen if there is anything related to Mineral.
05:04 PM on 02/17/14
anamericangod
User Info.
This was a really well written review. Probably the best piece I've seen from you. Good work.

Awesome album.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version