Username
Password
Skate and Surf Fest News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Skate and Surf Fest
Inside AP.net

Skate and Surf Seeks Return to Asbury Park

Posted by: Jason Tate (03/21/14)
Skate and Surf Fest is looking to return to Asbury Park.
O'Brien will present a special event application to members of the City Council at the March 26 meeting. He has been working with Surf and Skate founder John D’Esposito to return the concert series to its Asbury roots, he said. "We hope to have everyone get behind it and be supportive in Asbury Park,” he said. “It started in Asbury and our goal is to bring it back home."

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 25
02:01 PM on 03/21/14
George_mm
You bred raptors?
User Info.
This festival is a joke. It's also funny the mystery headliner has been removed along with DMX, without any word on why from John D. (To my knowledge anyway)
02:14 PM on 03/21/14
ACA
Next Show: Braid/GreatBigPileLeaves
User Info.
This festival is a joke. It's also funny the mystery headliner has been removed along with DMX, without any word on why from John D. (To my knowledge anyway)
$30+fees per day seems reasonable considering the lineup. It'd be cool to bands like Circa Survive, Pianos Become the Teeth, and Tiny Moving Parts, but they all come through here all the time at much better venues and price points. Hidden in Plain View is a nice bonus, I guess, and so is The Early November I suppose.

Saosin with AG is the only real draw, and that's an 8-song setlist.
02:22 PM on 03/21/14
TheRealJohnOC
@BehindtheCade Seen 701 bands live!
User Info.
DMX was removed due to his anti-gay lyrics..or something in that effect. Funny how Emmure is still on the lineup. I know Frankie is a cuckold but I think he threw around some f words.
02:45 PM on 03/21/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
DMX was removed due to his anti-gay lyrics..or something in that effect. Funny how Emmure is still on the lineup. I know Frankie is a cuckold but I think he threw around some f words.
Middletown, NJ wouldn't allow the festival to be there with DMX on the bill.
02:59 PM on 03/21/14
TheRealJohnOC
User Info.
Middletown, NJ wouldn't allow the festival to be there with DMX on the bill.
Oh ok, I thought I read it as Asbury wouldn't hold the festival due to DMX. He's off the lineup now so why are they still trying to move the fest to Asbury? Sorry if I'm missing some information.
03:14 PM on 03/21/14
RiCCioLi
Midtown Saves.
User Info.
Either way Im actually looking forward to this festival for the first time in years. I dont give a shit if Midtown plays in a funeral home, im there. It would be sweet to see Skate and Surf go back to Asbury. I will never forget those days
03:20 PM on 03/21/14
holdyourbreathx
Next show: Skate and Surf
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Thought John D said they weren't trying to move it this year...
03:25 PM on 03/21/14
esposimi
H.E. Pennypacker
User Info.
The lineup will be largely the same as was previously announced for the fest at the Middletown Sports Complex, but will not include hip-hop performer DMX in deference to the city’s gay community. DMX has been accused of having anti-gay lyrics in his songs.

http://www.app.com/article/20140320/...nclick_check=1
03:26 PM on 03/21/14
huludfan82
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This sucks for people who booked hotels and shit in middletown, however I'd be thrilled if it ends up back in Asbury. I kinda like the idea of Skate and Surf being a fest you can actually see the ocean at.
03:39 PM on 03/21/14
avengedtbs
May your music break my eardrums
User Info.
Oh ok, I thought I read it as Asbury wouldn't hold the festival due to DMX. He's off the lineup now so why are they still trying to move the fest to Asbury? Sorry if I'm missing some information.
You're right Asbury won't let him play, not Middletown. He hasn't had enough ticket sales to afford the place in Middletown or to meet a stipulation in the contract. Either way they're not in Middletown cause of a lack of ticket sales and Asbury won't allow DMX.
07:18 PM on 03/21/14
notetoself343
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
starting to be a cluster fck again … last year was horrible, I cant imagine this year …
09:05 AM on 03/22/14
tub and rug
pissed off > pissed on
User Info.
Having it in Asbury makes up for a lot of the disappointment surrounding this festival.

I'm excited to finally make the trip out to New Jersey.
12:00 PM on 03/22/14
xHoodieWeather
I Just Want To Sell Out My Funeral
User Info.

Mystery headliner as in linc's special guest? Under the early November...
01:52 PM on 03/22/14
TheRealJohnOC
User Info.
Mystery headliner as in linc's special guest? Under the early November...
Separate one:

Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums