Username
Password
Morrissey News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Morrissey
Inside AP.net

Gail Shea Spokesperson Responds To Morrissey

Posted by: Jason Tate (04/23/14)
A spokesperson for Gail Shea has responded to Morrissey's comments about Canada's seal hunt.
This is clearly just another case of a millionaire celebrity, desperate for a hobby, shamelessly regurgitating misinformation and myths that fringe animal-rights groups have been pushing for years. In the future, I would urge Mr. Morrissey to consider the impact that his ignorant and inflammatory statements have on the livelihoods of thousands of hard-working men and women in rural communities.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 36
06:42 AM on 04/23/14
Ryan Dennehy
Yeah, that's exactly what morissey is. A poser. Lol.
06:46 AM on 04/23/14
TheDemosRock
What's a fuckass?
User Info.
Morrissey can say what he likes and I understand his position because of his overarching beliefs when it comes to animals... but the legal seal hunt in Canada is basically the lifeblood of the Inuit population. Of all the animal rights causes to take up, a blanket opposition to seal hunting in general is one of the more ignorant IMO. If you're going to talk sealing, you need to be very targeted and specific in your rhetoric.

Yeah, that's exactly what morissey is. A poser. Lol.
She didn't really call him a poser, she rightfully decried the fact that yet another celebrity with a soapbox is using his reach to preach a philosophy she finds ignorant and damaging.

Of course at the same time, corporate sealing is a pretty huge problem. So it's hard to have the conversation when Morrissey is clearly ignoring the Inuit part (which the government is subsequently leaning on).
06:49 AM on 04/23/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
Morrissey can say what he likes and I understand his position because of his overarching beliefs when it comes to animals... but the legal seal hunt in Canada is basically the lifeblood of the Inuit population. Of all the animal rights causes to take up, this is one of the most ignorant IMO.

She didn't really call him a poser, she rightfully decried the fact that yet another celebrity with a soapbox is using his reach to preach a philosophy she finds ignorant and damaging.
Not sure how that fits into the category of "ignorant." From Morrissey's statements in the past, he's not ignorant of the financial benefit -- he doesn't believe those outweigh the harm. Profiting from something he deems morally reprehensible wouldn't change that (would it change most of our minds given a cause we care about?).
06:50 AM on 04/23/14
xtbs7645x
User Info.
Genuinely cannot stand this guy.
06:55 AM on 04/23/14
TheDemosRock
What's a fuckass?
User Info.
Not sure how that fits into the category of "ignorant." From Morrissey's statements in the past, he's not ignorant of the financial benefit -- he doesn't believe those outweigh the harm. Profiting from something he deems morally reprehensible wouldn't change that (would it change most of our minds given a cause we care about?).
I edited the comment before seeing this, but I meant in the distinction between corporate and Inuit sealing. The latter makes up about 10% of seal hunting in general, and it's clear when Morrissey mentions assault rifles and tens of thousands of seals that he isn't talking about Inuits. I take issue with him not once mentioning subsistence sealing or noting the differences.

And if his argument extends to the native population that relies on sealing, I would love to see him argue that their well-being is less important than the seals they kill.
06:56 AM on 04/23/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
I edited the comment before seeing this, but I meant in the distinction between corporate and Inuit sealing. The latter makes up about 10% of seal hunting in general, and it's clear when Morrissey mentions assault rifles and tens of thousands of seals that he isn't talking about Inuits. I take issue with him not once mentioning subsistence sealing.
Morrissey is against the killing of any animal.
07:01 AM on 04/23/14
TheDemosRock
What's a fuckass?
User Info.
Morrissey is against the killing of any animal.
So because he has a broad belief, he's allowed to apply narrow descriptions to the whole?

It's ignorant to make this argument about cruelty, high-powered weapons, and an "annual massacre" without acknowledging that there's an entirely different kind of sealing that occurs. And as I said in the edit to my previous comment, I would sure love to see Morrissey's eloquent argument against subsistence hunting.
07:03 AM on 04/23/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
So because he has a broad belief, he's allowed to apply narrow descriptions to the whole?

It's ignorant to make this argument about cruelty, high-powered weapons, and an "annual massacre" without acknowledging that there's an entirely different kind of sealing that occurs. And as I said in the edit to my previous comment, I would sure love to see Morrissey's eloquent argument against subsistence hunting.
His argument against killing any animal, no matter what, is the same as it's been for the past 30 so years.
07:13 AM on 04/23/14
TheDemosRock
What's a fuckass?
User Info.
His argument against killing any animal, no matter what, is the same as it's been for the past 30 so years.
And that makes it less ignorant group corporate and subsistence hunting how?
07:18 AM on 04/23/14
takingbacktyler
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Wait... Is this the same Morrisey who called the Chinese sub species? He kind of loses credibility.
07:19 AM on 04/23/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
And that makes it less ignorant group corporate and subsistence hunting how?
The premise is all killing of animals is wrong, the means or "who," are irrelevant to the premise. Calling it ignorant for not addressing something else is a straw-man in that regards.
07:29 AM on 04/23/14
TheDemosRock
What's a fuckass?
User Info.
The premise is all killing of animals is wrong, the means or "who," are irrelevant to the premise. Calling it ignorant for not addressing something else is a straw-man in that regards.
It's not a straw man.

"Canada's sorry image is due entirely to its seal slaughter."

Morrissey entered the seal hunting debate and decried the entire process for sealing-specific reasons. He mentioned fur in general, but if railing about the weaponry and scale of sealing without acknowledging the vastly different subsistence hunt isn't ignorant, it's intentionally misleading - in my opinion, the latter reeks of punditry and is far worse.
07:30 AM on 04/23/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
It's not a straw man.

Morrissey entered the seal hunting debate and decried the entire process for sealing-specific reasons. He mentioned fur in general, but if railing about the weaponry and scale of sealing without acknowledging the vastly different subsistence hunt isn't ignorant, it's intentionally misleading - in my opinion, the latter is worse.
He decried, as he always has, the entire process for the "murder of sentient beings" reason. He sees is no difference in how the animal is killed -- "subsistence" or not.
07:32 AM on 04/23/14
randys950
@randys950
User Info.
would love to see this guys reaction if he accidentally ran over a bunny running across the street
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums