AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Morrissey News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Morrissey Responds to Gail Shea

Posted by - 11:05 AM on 04/24/14
Knew it was coming ... Morrissey has responded to the statement yesterday from Gail Shea.
There was something more than slightly desperate in Gail Shea referring to my recent comments on the annual Canadian seal slaughter as "ignorant", as reported in Canada's National Post. Speaking on behalf of Gail Shea, Sophie Doucet - showing symptoms of the same Shea disorder - stated: "I would urge Mr. Morrissey to consider the impact that his ignorant and inflammatory statements have on the livelihoods of thousands of hard-working men and women in rural communities". I should remind Sophie Doucet that building and maintaining the Concentration Camps of Auschwitz also provided livelihoods, but this hardly made the Camps warranted. Let it also be added that the vast financial benefits of the seal slaughter are not directly intended for those hard-working men and women in rural communities, who, in fact, are merely used by the Fisheries Minister to do the messy task of searing flesh.

Further, Sophie Doucet's shrill tension claims that my anger against Canada's carnival of death: " ... is clearly just another case of a millionaire celebrity, desperate for a hobby".

I can assure Sophie Doucet that I know more about the seal hunt than I wish to know, and only by suppression of humanity could anyone look away and not care. Also, whether a challenge comes from a millionaire or from someone who is homeless is a remark that would only be made by someone of imperious ignorance, who cannot develop the moral debate, and whose own personal financial agenda comes before the lives of thousands of healthy beings.

More importantly, Gail Shea is so constantly absorbed by challenges and counterchallenges of her actions and beliefs that we must wonder why it has not yet occurred to her that she might be doing something wrong. The answer, as it usually is, would be the impossibly constricted mania for financial profit - at any price.

In Western culture, there is no acceptance of the Canadian seal slaughter, and simply because someone bears the badge of Minister does not insulate them from being a disreputable thug. Murder is not debatable, and the people of Canada must speak up and stop this carnage in order to restore the global image of their country. As ever and as always, it is always up to the people to put things right.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 91
11:12 AM on 04/24/14
drewbaldy
phanyes1 doesn't suck
User Info.
God I hate Morrissey. Every time he speaks it makes it harder and harder for me to listen to his music.
11:12 AM on 04/24/14
joshy hizzle
Rocky Top
User Info.
He compared a seal hunt to the Holocaust.
11:13 AM on 04/24/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
He compared a seal hunt to the Holocaust.
If you believed all sentient life was equal -- that would be an apt comparison.
11:34 AM on 04/24/14
OctoberOrigins
Jack
User Info.
If you believed all sentient life was equal -- that would be an apt comparison.
It's still an incredibly antisemitic statement. I'm really sick of people rushing to defend this guy when he says problematic stuff all the time.
11:38 AM on 04/24/14
thekinison
Use the fuckin pikey...
User Info.
Brilliant retort.
11:39 AM on 04/24/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
It's still an incredibly antisemitic statement. I'm really sick of people rushing to defend this guy when he says problematic stuff all the time.
Could you explain what you find antisemitic about it? Feel like I'm missing something.
I should remind Sophie Doucet that building and maintaining the Concentration Camps of Auschwitz also provided livelihoods, but this hardly made the Camps warranted.
11:43 AM on 04/24/14
EASheartsVinyl
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
He really, really needs to stop bringing the Nazis and the Holocaust into his arguments.
11:44 AM on 04/24/14
drewbaldy
phanyes1 doesn't suck
User Info.
Comparing the plight of Jewish people in concentration camps to some seals being clubbed to death is pretty bad.
11:47 AM on 04/24/14
mr_raccoon
UᴼᴥᴼU
User Info.
*looks at the calendar* Oh look, it's thursday. That means Morrissey is going to be comparing something to the Holocaust again.
11:52 AM on 04/24/14
drewbaldy
phanyes1 doesn't suck
User Info.
No it's not.
11:55 AM on 04/24/14
BobbyBlakeMonro
User Info.
Actually he was showing a flaw in her reasoning by stating just because something provides a livelihood doesn't mean it's any less morally reprehensible, not really comparing the two events. Although as Jason said, if all sentient life is equal the seal hunt would be just as bad. Just because you don't share his belief doesn't mean his reasoning is flawed.

Also, I am very confused as to how this remark is antisemitic.

Say what you will but Morrissey's belief in animal rights have been known forever, what he's saying should come as no surprise.
12:02 PM on 04/24/14
OctoberOrigins
Jack
User Info.
Could you explain what you find antisemitic about it? Feel like I'm missing something.
I should remind Sophie Doucet that building and maintaining the Concentration Camps of Auschwitz also provided livelihoods, but this hardly made the Camps warranted.
A common tactic of the Nazis was to compare Jews (and other oppressed groups such as Romani people, LGBTQ people, the disabled, etc.) to animals. It stripped them of their humanity in order to justify the Nazis ultimate goal -- complete eradication of these peoples. Comparing the suffering of animals to those of Jews during the Holocaust (even in a more indirect way like Morrissey did here) is completely atrocious, because it once again furthers that idea that Jewish people are interchangeable with animals. Morrissey would probably make that argument as well because of his views on animal rights, but that doesn't make it okay.

This constant obsession of activists in other areas (animal rights, anti-abortion groups, etc.) to compare their enemies to Nazis and their struggles to the Holocaust minimizes how significant the period truly was, and thats not right.
12:04 PM on 04/24/14
drewbaldy
phanyes1 doesn't suck
User Info.
I don't like the argument that "this is his belief and his argument is sound." I have the preface this with I in no way agree with the Christian belief system dealing with gay rights. I am not a Christain. With that said, a lot of people on this site are quick to say "well the Christian's beliefs are wrong." In a Christian's head there reasoning is sound because they believe the bible. Just like in Morrissey's head his argument is sound because it's what he believes. Neither are correct and neither argument is sound.
12:05 PM on 04/24/14
SuNDaYSTaR
[Pull The Trigger]
User Info.
Godwin's law at its finest.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT