AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Line-up Change News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

How the Flaming Lips Lost a Drummer Over Native American Appropriation

Posted by - 11:44 AM on 05/02/14
Gawker is reporting that Kliph Scurlock was kicked out of the Flaming Lips for disagreeing with Wayne Coyne about the appropriateness of wearing "Native-American headdresses."
Kliph Scurlock confirmed to Indian Country Today Media Network that he was fired by Wayne Coyne for criticizing Christina Fallin. "I was fired for telling Christina to go fuck herself after her lame-ass 'apology' when people got upset at her stupid headdress photo," he wrote. "That happened in mid-March. I wasn't anywhere around during the performance [at Norman Music Festival] the other night."

Submitted by Smash Adams

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 89
11:49 AM on 05/02/14
mynameisgeneric
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Meh
11:51 AM on 05/02/14
WhaleSnake
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Oh cry me a river tonto. All this PC bullshit is the reason this country and its people have gone into the shitter. Whats next, people cant fly the american flag because its insensitive to the taliban? Go fuck your mother.
11:52 AM on 05/02/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
12:03 PM on 05/02/14
caveBEAR
( ω )
User Info.
Oh cry me a river tonto. All this PC bullshit is the reason this country and its people have gone into the shitter. Whats next, people cant fly the american flag because its insensitive to the taliban? Go fuck your mother.

lol 'all this PC shit' yeah that's the reason the 'country and it's people have gone into the shitter' - or maybe it's oddly angry shits like you who resist any progression of positive ideals and a slow economy? nah, you're right - probably all this PC shit. that's the problem.

lol how do fucking twits like whalesnake get dressed in the morning without assistance?
12:03 PM on 05/02/14
Sean Rizzo
Can you see evidence of perfection?
User Info.
I'm not sure I understand why the simple act of wearing a headdress is inherently insensitive, barring the obvious racial overtones that can be dismissed simply by the wearer stating that they admire the headdress for its beauty, which seems to be what happened here. Is it some kind of sacred, religiously affiliated object?
12:05 PM on 05/02/14
ChaseTx
Well this is a mess.

I dunno if the headdress itself is something I'd be offended by, but then I'm not part of the Native community. Anyway, lacking the decency to offer a sincere apology is pretty shitty. It's disappointing to hear that Coyne isn't receptive to that, and that he'd discourage band members from voicing their opinions.
12:07 PM on 05/02/14
ChaseTx
I'm not sure I understand why the simple act of wearing a headdress is inherently insensitive, barring the obvious racial overtones that can be dismissed simply by the wearer stating that they admire the headdress for its beauty, which seems to be what happened here. Is it some kind of sacred, religiously affiliated object?
I can't speak to that, but obviously she and her band/friends didn't handle the criticism well.
12:08 PM on 05/02/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
I'm sure someone else will explain it better in the thread -- I've got a podcast to go edit -- but if you google "Cultural Appropriation" there are hundreds of great resources on answering that question.

Here's one I bookmarked a long time ago and I'm assuming is still up:

http://nativeappropriations.com/2010...headdress.html

Edit: Yep, it's still up. Still a good resource. And has a bunch of other resources linked throughout:

A l’allure garçonnière: The Critical Fashion Lovers (basic) guide to Cultural Appropriation
Threadbared: LINKAGE: The Feather In Your “Native” Cap
Racialicious: Some Basic Racist Ideas and Some Rebuttals & Why We Exist
GSU Signal: Mockery of Native heritage only perpetuates Native issues
Bitch Magazine/Racialicious: On Hipster/Hippies and Native Culture

Hope that helps. Back to emo-podcast editing.
12:09 PM on 05/02/14
Arry
apreeesh
User Info.
Wayne is fucking insane. Dude's a douche.
12:15 PM on 05/02/14
Sean Rizzo
User Info.
I'm sure someone else will explain it better in the thread -- I've got a podcast to go edit -- but if you google "Cultural Appropriation" there are hundreds of great resources on answering that question.

Here's one I bookmarked a long time ago and I'm assuming is still up:

http://nativeappropriations.com/2010...headdress.html

Edit: Yep, it's still up. Still a good resource. And has a bunch of other resources linked throughout:

A l’allure garçonnière: The Critical Fashion Lovers (basic) guide to Cultural Appropriation
Threadbared: LINKAGE: The Feather In Your “Native” Cap
Racialicious: Some Basic Racist Ideas and Some Rebuttals & Why We Exist
GSU Signal: Mockery of Native heritage only perpetuates Native issues
Bitch Magazine/Racialicious: On Hipster/Hippies and Native Culture

Hope that helps. Back to emo-podcast editing.
I'm not sure I'm a fan of the idea that no one outside being born into the culture are permitted to embrace that culture, which seems to be what is suggested by the author of this article when they say others are or are not allowed to wear certain things. Other than that, this was very helpful. Are there any native american artists who have unconventional twists on how they create cultural emblems?
12:17 PM on 05/02/14
birdman
Don't hold your breath
User Info.
Wouldn't cultural appropriation apply to anything from smoking tobacco to having a tattoo?
12:21 PM on 05/02/14
birdman
Don't hold your breath
User Info.
I'm not sure I'm a fan of the idea that no one outside being born into the culture are permitted to embrace that culture, which seems to be what is suggested by the author of this article when they say others are or are not allowed to wear certain things. Other than that, this was very helpful. Are there any native american artists who have unconventional twists on how they create cultural emblems?

Furthermore, does that just apply to clothing? What about enjoying food, music, dancing, or literature from other cultures?
12:22 PM on 05/02/14
Sean Rizzo
User Info.
Wouldn't cultural appropriation apply to anything from smoking tobacco to having a tattoo?
From what I understand it's when you make a second-rate copy of something for superficial reasons that is culturally significant, as opposed to doing something more fundamentally similar but looks completely different. It also depends on how the meaning is applied behind the art at hand.
12:25 PM on 05/02/14
birdman
Don't hold your breath
User Info.
From what I understand it's when you make a second-rate copy of something for superficial reasons that is culturally significant, as opposed to doing something more fundamentally similar but looks completely different. It also depends on how the meaning is applied behind the art at hand.

Yeah, I mean context is everything. I am not sure we know the context here. I assume the context was not to mock or demean the native american culture but rather honor it.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos