AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Apple/iTunes News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Report: Apple in Talks to Buy Beats Audio

Posted by - 04:43 PM on 05/08/14
Apple is reportedly in talks to buy Beats Audio. Crappy software, crappy headphones. Hope this is for more than just the IP.
Apple is reportedly in the process of buying Beats for $3.2 billion, according to a new report from The Financial Times. The deal includes both the streaming music service, as well as the company that produces headphones and speakers. The move, which would be Apple’s largest acquisition, could be announced as soon as next week, the paper says.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 76
04:47 PM on 05/08/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
First Apple news in a long time that actually made me go, "uh oh."
04:48 PM on 05/08/14
WhatJulianSaid
News on Once the Clouds are Gone
User Info.
Beats are awful and I'm not a fan of Apple either. Sounds pretty terrible/great to me.
04:54 PM on 05/08/14
taborbrown
www.twitter.com/taborbrown
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
$3.2 billion is a steal for Apple. Those headphones might be awful, but every athlete ever endorses them. Plus, maybe Apple is looking to get in to make quality headphones.
04:57 PM on 05/08/14
JordanKTM
Right Back At It Again
User Info.
Steve would not approve of this
04:57 PM on 05/08/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
$3.2 billion is a steal for Apple. Those headphones might be awful, but every athlete ever endorses them. Plus, maybe Apple is looking to get in to make quality headphones.
Then go invest in making good headphones or buy a company that makes good headphones. They don't need the brand equity, and if anything this hurts their own brand with consumers that value quality.
04:59 PM on 05/08/14
billyboatkid
The Protagonist of Loneliness
User Info.
What apple really needs to do is make better charger cables.

I've never had such a shitty cable in my life or had to replace as many. Also fix the iPhone 5.. Mines a piece of shit and I take immaculate care of my stuff.
05:00 PM on 05/08/14
billyboatkid
The Protagonist of Loneliness
User Info.
Then go invest in making good headphones or (buy a company that makes good headphones). They don't need the brand equity, and if anything this hurts their own brand with consumers that value quality.
Pulled that thought right from my brain.

I used to want a pair of beats until I saw how shitty of build quality they have.
05:15 PM on 05/08/14
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
Very few acquisitions actually add value, this will probably not be one of them. It only makes sense for a brand perspective, and that's only if Apple is attempting to corner a market that doesn't already highly value the brand. Hope they put in a lot of research on this.
05:23 PM on 05/08/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
Very few acquisitions actually add value, this will probably not be one of them. It only makes sense for a brand perspective, and that's only if Apple is attempting to corner a market that doesn't already highly value the brand. Hope they put in a lot of research on this.
I would argue most acquisitions add value in one or multiple aspects of a business; that's usually the reason they occur. Second, I'd say this doesn't make sense at all from a brand perspective because Apple has virtually never acquired a company and kept the engulfed brand around.
05:29 PM on 05/08/14
Cursethishearse
@bradleyjp
User Info.
This is for the streaming music service. The headphones are just an add-on. While Jason thinks the service is shit I prefer it over the new Spotify and Rdio. I think it's well-designed and works great.
05:34 PM on 05/08/14
mr_raccoon
UᴼᴥᴼU
User Info.
I can't think of a better way to make those headphones EVEN more expensive
05:36 PM on 05/08/14
cowlord
( ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)
User Info.
Shame, I rather like the new apple earbuds too
05:54 PM on 05/08/14
lovemetal24
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Beats, the most overpriced unbalanced headphone ever....can't believe people buy these
05:54 PM on 05/08/14
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
User Info.
Maybe they'll be able to make the music service less crappy, and if they don't well at least they didn't buy and ruin Rdio.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos