AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Thursday News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Geoff Rickly Talks The xx And The Most Expensive Concert Ever

Posted by - 05:46 AM on 05/11/14
The Talkhouse is currently featuring a heartfelt and interesting article written by Geoff Rickly (Thursday) about how circumstances in his life ended up with him paying $2000 to see The xx play in New York. Well worth a read.
A couple of weeks ago I paid $2,000 to see the XX play for forty people at New York’s Park Avenue Armory. They’re not one of my favorite bands or anything. And I’m not rich. But, to me, it was worth it. That either means that it was an utter revelation OR I have no idea of the value of money.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 68
05:54 AM on 05/11/14
pizzatime
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I like Rickly''s overall point about the value of music, but reading some of his descriptions of the xx was pretty uncomfortable. don't quit your day job anytime soon, Geoff.
06:02 AM on 05/11/14
Jake Jenkins
https://soundcloud.com/sophos34
User Info.
i enjoyed reading that
06:29 AM on 05/11/14
TheZeroKid
I'm Not Holden Caulfield
User Info.
Damn, $2,000?! I'm glad they had such a good time. On a sidenote, he's listed as being involed with Thursday, United Nations, AND Ink & Dagger. Does that mean that he's an official member of Ink & Dagger now or was it just those one-off shows that he did?
06:42 AM on 05/11/14
wall e
Leaving AP at 20k posts.
User Info.
That was a really nice piece.
06:54 AM on 05/11/14
mycuban
hermits.bandcamp.com
User Info.
I miss seeing that Dove on here. I wish they'd do a holiday show again for old times sake.
06:56 AM on 05/11/14
Big_Guy
Idle Will Kill
User Info.
AND Ink & Dagger. Does that mean that he's an official member of Ink & Dagger now?
I hope not. when a member of a band fucking dies, it's weird to continue the band to me. the reunion show at TIH was cool because it was for a good cause, but there's no need for any further shows after the additional shows they played
07:00 AM on 05/11/14
Joey-Wan Kenobi
fourth and goal
User Info.
After googling.. his girlfriend is a cutie!

That whole description of what went on with the show made me incredibly jealous of such an experience. Seems almost surreal to me now. I've never listened to XX , but I think I'll have to give them a chance. Starting with VCR haha.
07:02 AM on 05/11/14
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
great read.
07:07 AM on 05/11/14
Kyle Huntington
GIVEN TO THE WILD
User Info.
those shows sounded seriously amazing.
07:23 AM on 05/11/14
duhpizza
User Info.
Does that mean that he's an official member of Ink & Dagger now or was it just those one-off shows that he did?

I really hope not.
07:53 AM on 05/11/14
signal to noise
User Info.
Damn, $2,000?! I'm glad they had such a good time. On a sidenote, he's listed as being involed with Thursday, United Nations, AND Ink & Dagger. Does that mean that he's an official member of Ink & Dagger now or was it just those one-off shows that he did?

he's listed as an ex member of Ink and Dagger. the band is not continuing. though Don worked on Geoff's mixtape #2. and its great.
08:10 AM on 05/11/14
EASheartsVinyl
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I love Geoff, and I am all for spending tons of money on shows that mean a lot to you, but it really bums me out that he gave stubhub and scalpers so much with this. They continue to be one of the absolute worst parts of enjoying music, and something like this just makes it sound like it's ok.

I really can't say enough about how awesome Geoff is though, and I am so happy that he has his girlfriend. I met him at a United Nations show last year, and in addition to jumping off the stage and immediately running to the merch booth to sell and talk to fans, he was just beaming about her. He showed me a picture of them together on his phone, and I always feel like that's a sign of someone being head over heels.
08:16 AM on 05/11/14
Jake Jenkins
https://soundcloud.com/sophos34
User Info.
I hope not. when a member of a band fucking dies, it's weird to continue the band to me. the reunion show at TIH was cool because it was for a good cause, but there's no need for any further shows after the additional shows they played
did you think it was weird for bayside to continue on when their drummer died?
08:23 AM on 05/11/14
Cursethishearse
@bradleyjp
User Info.
Nothing makes me happier than knowing Geoff is happy.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos