Username
Password
Twitter News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Twitter
Inside AP.net

Twitter Thinking of Buying SoundCloud

Posted by: Jason Tate (05/19/14)
Twitter is reportedly thinking of buying SoundCloud.
Twitter may try to buy its way out of its growth problem by making another move into music. The company is considering a deal to acquire SoundCloud, the music and audio-sharing company, according to people familiar with both companies.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 17
11:40 AM on 05/19/14
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Hm not sure how to feel about this
11:51 AM on 05/19/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
Scares me that Twitter still doesn't know what it is.
11:51 AM on 05/19/14
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
User Info.
Think this could be good for both platforms
11:59 AM on 05/19/14
Spencer Control
Yeah I still burn from time to time
User Info.
Scares me that Twitter still doesn't know what it is.
What do you mean?

Interesting that Twitter users use Soundcloud so much. I could see this working out nicely for everyone involved, should it be integrated/marketed effectively...
12:04 PM on 05/19/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
What do you mean?

Interesting that Twitter users use Soundcloud so much. I could see this working out nicely for everyone involved, should it be integrated/marketed effectively...
They seem the opposite of focused on a product goal and vision, and instead are running into a "what now" problem -- and that's led to basically copying facebook on the web (thank god for native apps) and a bunch of side-projects that just end up going nowhere. Their creative director (@stop) recently left the company and in the wake of their pretty disappointing IPO and recent earnings call (growth and monetization give me pause) I think they don't know what they really are ... they don't want to just end up being the pipes for communication (I get that), but I think their desire to be another FB misses the magic and simplicity that makes Twitter so great. However, I love Twitter and my parents will never touch it (both of which who are on facebook) ... so, I guess I get why.
12:08 PM on 05/19/14
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
Feel like this could really help soundcloud. Its missing something to take it to the next level.
12:16 PM on 05/19/14
Spencer Control
Yeah I still burn from time to time
User Info.
They seem the opposite of focused on a product goal and vision, and instead are running into a "what now" problem -- and that's led to basically copying facebook on the web (thank god for native apps) and a bunch of side-projects that just end up going nowhere. Their creative director (@stop) recently left the company and in the wake of their pretty disappointing IPO and recent earnings call (growth and monetization give me pause) I think they don't know what they really are ... they don't want to just end up being the pipes for communication (I get that), but I think their desire to be another FB misses the magic and simplicity that makes Twitter so great. However, I love Twitter and my parents will never touch it (both of which who are on facebook) ... so, I guess I get why.
Ah, I see. I was misreading your statement to say that Twitter didn't know what Soundcloud is.
12:54 PM on 05/19/14
cubsml34
A Class 3 KILLSTORM
User Info.
Hmm interesting
01:21 PM on 05/19/14
blackmold
Bro
User Info.
I really don't like Soundcloud and only use it when it's the only way to listen to something. Bandcamp 4 life!
01:35 PM on 05/19/14
Arry
apreeesh
User Info.
whatever, if they put shuffle within a playlist in the soundcloud app, i'll be happy
01:39 PM on 05/19/14
bunneh.
make moves, son
User Info.
Let's hope they let them do their thing if they do purchase soundcloud - music for twitter seemed to be an absolute failure.
02:42 PM on 05/19/14
billyboatkid
The Protagonist of Loneliness
User Info.
Would be cool. I enjoy both Twitter and Soundcloud..
04:30 PM on 05/19/14
jpmalone4
5 Meowmeowbeenz
User Info.

I looked at their 10K last week. They just don't make any money. From what I read, it looks like they need to start generating more ad revenue internationally because most of their users are outside the US. Once they start posting profits, maybe an acquisition like this would make sense. But as it stands, they seem to depend heavily on funds from that IPO and I don't know if they'll get easy access to credit markets.
07:52 AM on 05/20/14
Why Bother?
#SOSVenezuela
User Info.
I hear you. To me it's more like they started out knowing exactly what they were, and now there's just undirected ambition to turn into something bigger.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests