AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Against Me! News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Against Me! To Play Toronto's Trans Pride March

Posted by - 01:29 PM on 05/22/14
Against Me! will be playing a free show for Toronto's Trans* Pride March on June 27th.

Submitted by punchedbyagirl

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 16
01:33 PM on 05/22/14
Stephin_DC
Registered Member
User Info.
Pretty cool
01:37 PM on 05/22/14
fearthesloths
blown from the hinge
User Info.
i really don't want this to come off as ignorant, but i genuinely don't know.

are trans people not allowed in our Pride March? i would have thought that our regular Pride March would include them as well.

EDIT: after looking at the pride website it seems that the trans pride march is part of the pride march as a whole
03:04 PM on 05/22/14
OverSlyZed
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Like being a trans is an achievement...
03:40 PM on 05/22/14
cowlord
( \_(ツ)_/)
User Info.

I would say becoming who you are and having the courage to come out in a world full of ignorant shit like what you just said is an achievement, yeah.
03:43 PM on 05/22/14
Penguin
We only want to sing you to sleep
User Info.
Coming out as trans in a world that is highly cruel and unfair to trans people is a pretty big achievement...
03:55 PM on 05/22/14
RyanWilliam
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I love this. But ok. We get the Trans thing. Just play punk rock, I hope it doesn't become this bands identity, just part of it. The new album is incredible.
04:27 PM on 05/22/14
SuNDaYSTaR
[Pull The Trigger]
User Info.
For people with gender dysphoria, it is.
07:02 PM on 05/22/14
Charles777
my anaconda don't
User Info.
Chug bleach
08:25 PM on 05/22/14
sexcells
User Info.
I love this. But ok. We get the Trans thing. Just play punk rock, I hope it doesn't become this bands identity, just part of it. The new album is incredible.
Yes! I want her to just be Laura....why is it always "Laura -the transgender rock n roller? "
08:26 PM on 05/22/14
sexcells
User Info.
Please!!! ....watta dipshit...definition of a troll comment right there...
03:20 AM on 05/23/14
InvaderPhantom
User Info.
I agree. I have a huge amount of respect towards Laura for coming out and caring for trans rights, but it bothers me how Against Me is now only known as "the band with the trans singer". Because that's how it's pretty much been for the past few years. I actually think a lot of people would get more used to Laura being a woman if the band wouldn't make a big deal about the fact that she's transgender and would just continue making kickass music.

I know that Laura IS Against Me, and transgender problems are a huge part of her life now, so that will always be reflected in the music of this band, and that's okay. I just don't want them to become a "novelty band". It should always be and has always been all about the music.
04:03 AM on 05/23/14
OverSlyZed
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Well...there are lots of punk bands out there...but trans punk?...it's a brand new market...
04:04 AM on 05/23/14
OverSlyZed
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Nope.
06:38 AM on 05/23/14
anna a d
User Info.
for me it was less of an 'achievement' and more of a 'shitty medical condition that makes waking up everyday a neverending amalgamation of anxiety and disgust with my own existence where even being aware of my physical form was enough to make me lay motionless in bed all day so that i didn't have to feel anything', but maybe that's just me ya know?

i think people need to realize that laura is in a good position to be and advocate for furthering awareness for a marginalized and misunderstood portion of the population and she's going to take advantage of that. it's going to be a part of what the band does and the subject matter of the songs, but i think even transgender dysphoria blues shows that it's not going to be the subject of every song.

i dont even know if any of this post makes sense but yeah

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version