AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Mp3 News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Napster Launched 15 Years Ago This Month

Posted by - 01:44 PM on 06/02/14
Napster was launched in June of 1999 and changed the music industry almost overnight -- what was the first song you downloaded?

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 84
01:47 PM on 06/02/14
B.Leibo
User Info.
If you're capable of remembering the first song you downloaded... you have some sort of special memory there. I wish I knew.
01:50 PM on 06/02/14
prefix-core
Andy Adores Alliteration
User Info.
I don't remember the first song I downloaded, but I do recall getting into several arguments in the high school cafeteria, trying to convince people that "Brown Eyed Girl" by Lagwagon and "Angel" by Slick Shoes were not, in fact Me First & the Gimme Gimmes or Blink-182/Fenix TX/Unwritten Law, respectively.

Also? That is not an a cappella version of "What I Got" as performed by 311. I don't think.
01:51 PM on 06/02/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
If you're capable of remembering the first song you downloaded... you have some sort of special memory there. I wish I knew.
"Inside Out" by Eve 6.
01:52 PM on 06/02/14
B.Leibo
User Info.
"Inside Out" by Eve 6.
To be fair I was like 13... and probably didn't understand the weight of it at the time.
01:52 PM on 06/02/14
minusblindfold
Good Morning, Magpie
User Info.
I have no idea why I remember this but it was a Our Lady Peace song from Happiness... "One Man Army" I think. And then it's been deleted some time in the last 15 years
01:55 PM on 06/02/14
BurymeWalkAway
User Info.
I've smoked way too much weed and drank way too much alcohol to remember this but I bet it was a Metallica song. Such irony
02:05 PM on 06/02/14
Ben Lee
Gold light breaks behind the houses
User Info.
It might have been Armageddon by Good Charlotte feat. The singer of gold finger or something like that?

I thought it was Tom when i first DL'd it.
02:07 PM on 06/02/14
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
jenny from the block by J.Lo
02:07 PM on 06/02/14
KyleAtGalaxy
Non Social Drinker
User Info.
History of a Boring Town!
02:08 PM on 06/02/14
Tony
Fuckface Extraordinaire
User Info.
It might have been Armageddon by Good Charlotte feat. The singer of gold finger or something like that?

I thought it was Tom when i first DL'd it.
God that song is so awful. I remember thinking that back when it first came out, and I was still a huge Goldfinger fan back then.

BTW, it was actually a Goldfinger song featuring the vocalists from Good Charlotte and Mest.

My first download was probably something from Reel Big Fish or Goldfinger, and it wasn't from Napster, but an IRC board. Couldn't say what my first Napster download was.
02:13 PM on 06/02/14
Tim McCall
TBD
User Info.
"Breakfast at Tiffany's" - Deep Blue Something. But a lot of the copies had Semisonic as the band.
TheUpside
It All Feels Like an Ending
User Info.
The first mp3 I downloaded was Heaven is a halfpipe by OPM, I think that was the name. But that may have been from a pre napster mp3 site. I was on top of that shit.
dbowen
User Info.
"Hands Down" by Dashboard. I feel like Chris Carrabba should attribute a ton of his success to Napster.
02:15 PM on 06/02/14
bertbro
User Info.
Hit or Miss by New Found Glory. Classic.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos