AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

AP.net Related News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Show Review: Diarrhea Planet, Lee Bains and The Glory Fires, and The...

Posted by - 03:02 PM on 06/28/14
Austin, Texas has been on overload with killer shows this week, but Diarrhea Planet, Lee Bains and The Glory Fires, and local heroes The Midgetmen played a killer set to a packed house at Red 7 on June 27th. The venue was feeling hellishly hot, and most of the audience was soaked in sweat most likely not theirs, but no one seemed to give a crap. Hit the replies to read my full review of the show, as well as a photo gallery.
Itís hard not to wail when your band features four guitarists, a lone bassist, and a bad-ass drummer. Diarrhea Planetís music falls somewhere between the wildness of older The Black Lips and classic Nashville Southern rock.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 16
03:02 PM on 06/28/14
Caitlin DeWeese
@dontmesswithatx
User Info.
Diarrhea Planet in Austin, Texas Diarrhea Planet is a band who should not be successful purely on the basis of their name. However, as some one with a 5th grader’s sense of humor, I love the band, the name, the music; everything. Diarrhea Planet has gotten major hype here in Austin thanks to local website Do512 and an appreciation for kick-ass music across the city.

The sold-out show kicked off with local garage rockers The Midgetmen. The guys play a mix of old-school rock n roll and new-school punk, and have a huge local following who came out early to catch the set. They blew through some of their classics, and featured a local guest guitarist Ram Vela, who some how has more energy in one person than an entire combined band. The set was unfortunately cut short by the venue, as time is apparently of the essence these days.

The Midgetmen

By the time Lee Bains and The Glory Fires took the stage, the venue temperature was about 85 degrees with 100% percent humidity. No one seemed to care as the Alabama natives started off their set with an ode to everyone’s favorite Texas asshole, Rick Perry. We don’t get a lot of political banter on our stages in Texas, but I can appreciate any band that hates our Republican leadership as much as I do. The band wailed through their set of politically fueled, angry Southern rock, and the crowd ate it up. I hadn’t seen a raw rock and roll band like The Glory Fires in a long time, so color me impressed.

Lee Bains and The Glory Fires

I always forget how many people are in Diarrhea Planet until I actually seem them all squeezed onto a stage together. It’s hard not to wail when your band features four guitarists, a lone bassist, and a bad-ass drummer. Diarrhea Planet’s music falls somewhere between the wildness of older The Black Lips and classic Nashville Southern rock. Diarrhea Planet’s most recent album I’m Rich Beyond Your Wildest Dreams shreds so hard, and a good chunk of the show featured songs off the album. The crowd ate up every minute of the headlining set and despite Red 7’s ban on crowd-surfing and stage diving (which I did not follow the previous night during The Menzingers’ set), kids were everywhere at the encouragement of the band, and the venue was nice enough not to kick anyone out. By the end of the show, everyone was soaked in some one else’s sweat, our ear drums were blown, and all we wanted was some crappy trailer pizza. Definitely a successful night, and the next Diarrhea Planet show will surely be sold out as well.

Diarrhea Planet

Link to full photo gallery here
03:33 PM on 06/28/14
texan4lif281
User Info.
Nice review, is Red 7 always hot? The Menzingers the night before felt like a sauna.
03:37 PM on 06/28/14
Caitlin DeWeese
@dontmesswithatx
User Info.
Nice review, is Red 7 always hot? The Menzingers the night before felt like a sauna.
It's not always THAT hot. The Menzingers show was hot (and so rad), but this show was even hotter. I'll have to remember to wear as little clothing as possible there the rest of the summer!
04:09 PM on 06/28/14
CTMarshall
You guys are walking in slo-mo?
User Info.
Awesome that Lee Bains is mentioned here. Super proud that they're getting the attention they deserve!
04:10 PM on 06/28/14
dash64
This Is My Design
User Info.
Got to see Deafheaven there later that night. Thankfully it was outside.
04:26 PM on 06/28/14
Born_For_This
Registered Member
User Info.
Best band name ever.
04:57 PM on 06/28/14
k1guitar
Keep calm and BLEGH!
User Info.
im new in austin (another one, i know) so thanks for the Do512 hookup! any more i should know?
07:07 PM on 06/28/14
Caitlin DeWeese
@dontmesswithatx
User Info.
im new in austin (another one, i know) so thanks for the Do512 hookup! any more i should know?
I have sworn by showlistaustin.com for the past 7 years!
06:51 AM on 06/29/14
PillsAndAdvice
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The Midgetmen. Now there's a name I haven't heard in a decade.
08:02 AM on 06/29/14
cubsml34
A Class 3 KILLSTORM
User Info.
One of my buddies reps DP so fucking hard, I really need to give em a listen.
08:07 AM on 06/29/14
iAMhollyood315
Rest is for the dead
User Info.
Transmission events. Also follow all the popular venues. The parish, stubbs, emos east and bandsintown app is good too
05:42 PM on 06/29/14
Caitlin DeWeese
@dontmesswithatx
User Info.
Transmission events. Also follow all the popular venues. The parish, stubbs, emos east and bandsintown app is good too
Transmission Shows are usually listed on Do512 and Showlist, those are pretty good at knocking everything out at once without having to visit a billion venue sites.
06:33 PM on 06/29/14
Adrian Villagomez
My Little Runaway
User Info.
I go to so few shows in Austin it's embarrassing.

Or worst.
09:47 PM on 06/29/14
Caitlin DeWeese
@dontmesswithatx
User Info.
I go to so few shows in Austin it's embarrassing.

Or worst.
Come out!! So many good/cheap shows this summer!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos