1. David Ford - Song for the Road
2. Us - No Matter Where You Are
3. Augustana - Alive
4. Goo Goo Dolls - Come to Me
5. Twin Forks - Something We Just Know
6. Billy Walsh - Gentle Heart*
7. Michelle Featherstone & Josh Kelley - We Are Man and Wife
8. Paul Buchanan - Mid Air
9. Jon Boden, Sam Sweeney And Ben Colemen - How Long Will I Love You
10. Stolen Silver - Prefontaine
11. Ingrid Michaelson - You Got Me
12. Kina Grannis - Write it in the Sky
13. The Alternate Routes - Nothing More
14. Matchbox Twenty - Overjoyed
15. Chad Perrone - Breathe**
16. Matt Hires - When I Was Young
17. The Walkmen - Heaven
Four years ago, this past Wednesday, my girlfriend Jillian and I officially began our relationship. We had been friends for years and acquaintances before that, fellow students a year apart in high school.
Tomorrow, I'm going to marry her.
For me, this journey - of falling in love and of getting to know another person as well as I know myself - has been consistently soundtracked by classic love songs and new records alike. Since July 2010, we've traded who-knows-how-many-mixtapes, accounting for 824 songs and five gigabytes of hard drive space on my computer. These songs have captured every stage of our story, from the early "smitten summer love" days, to the long drives we each completed almost weekly to make a long distance relationship work, all the way to moving in together and moving up to face the real world at the same time.
The 17 songs above constitute the latest of these mixtapes. They are the songs that have been playing through my Macbook speakers, my car stereo, and my mind as I've approached the biggest day of my life. My brilliant bride-to-be will get the mix on CD tomorrow, but in the meantime, here's a sneak peak for everyone else.
*Billy Walsh's "Gentle Heart" is available on Spotify, but not Rdio.
**Chad Perrone's "Breathe" is evidently not supported on any music streaming service on the internet. Listen to it here
, because it's a perfect song.