AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

The Swellers News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

The Life and Death of a Mid-Level Band: The End of The Swellers

Posted by - 02:18 PM on 07/30/14
Head to Vice's Noisey to read drummer Jonathan Diener discussing the career and end of The Swellers.
Maybe we missed our big shot by not cashing in at the right time. Maybe we could have set our artistic pride aside and written the same record over and over again. Maybe we released too much music. Maybe we shouldn’t have been so accessible to our fan base. Maybe we could have picked a different record label or a different manager or changed our band name a few years in. You can question yourself forever, but it won’t change a thing. I like the choices we made. I like that we took risks and kept it real.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 103
02:21 PM on 07/30/14
Jay Evan
I've Made A Huge Mistake
User Info.
What do we know about the final tour and PLEASE hit up Raleigh area
02:21 PM on 07/30/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
We can thought experiment until we're blue in the face, and lord knows I like to ... but at the end of the day, that's all that matters: "I like the choices we made."
02:31 PM on 07/30/14
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
Good, if sad, read. The Swellers it seemed were always one step away from that not mainstream but we're headlining and making a living Wonder Years level but for whatever reason -- Jon hit on a myriad of them in that piece - it just never fell in to place for them.
02:33 PM on 07/30/14
Fourchordwonder
Guess our wishes don't do dishes
User Info.
Great read.
02:35 PM on 07/30/14
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
What do we know about the final tour and PLEASE hit up Raleigh area
Nothing has been announced regarding those final shows. If I had to guess I'd say it'll be a short run that will hit up Chicago (Beat Kitchen), maybe the NYC area and end with two shows in Michigan. Beyond that is anyone's guess.
02:39 PM on 07/30/14
cubsml34
A Class 3 KILLSTORM
User Info.
Man that was a hell of an article. Wish they guys could have blown up, but I'll be repping them hard on their farewell tour.
02:42 PM on 07/30/14
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com/
User Info.
That was a very interesting read, never got into the band much but sticking by their decisions and having fun doing what they want to do is the most you can really get out of any band.
02:49 PM on 07/30/14
PirateSkater182
I want a new username.
User Info.
I don't think anyone will understand what this band meant to me. Completely crushed, but I understand their decisions 100%. Fingers crossed they make Texas into their final tour, but I highly doubt they'll come this way.
02:50 PM on 07/30/14
subplotofcrows
A Small Spark Vs. A Great Forest
User Info.
Definitely a disheartening read. Excited to see them on the farewell tour, as I missed their last run. I think there's a Cleveland date.
02:50 PM on 07/30/14
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Well said. Nicely done, Jono.
02:51 PM on 07/30/14
anamericangod
User Info.
This was a good piece and it made me very disheartened.
02:52 PM on 07/30/14
mynameisgeneric
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Does this mean we're getting a Sydney reunion?

Edit:

Damn good write up, depressing in a sense but it was great to see the inner workings of this band and their history.
02:59 PM on 07/30/14
Passion Man
User Info.
they probably just weren't marketable enough. nothing personally to do with them.
03:07 PM on 07/30/14
spinalcountdown
User Info.
That's a very well-written article about a series of very shitty breaks. Unfortunately I didn't get into these guys until I listened to The Light Under Closed Doors, which I think is fantastic. Best of luck to all of them!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos