Password

Album Review

Hit the Lights - Skip School, Start Fights Album Cover

Hit the Lights - Skip School, Start Fights

Reviewed by
Hit The Lights - Skip School, Start Fights
Record Label: Triple Crown Records
Release Date: July 8, 2008
Considering a majority of their fan base ranges in the age group of 14-18 years of age, Skip School, Start Fights might not be the wisest message to send to today’s ever-vulnerable youth, who have taken the bait from every young pop band with scenester haircuts. Yet for Ohio pop-punk quartet Hit The Lights, they appear to be a different breed of pop-punk - no synthesizers blazing the overproduced dance songs, no overdubbed auto-tuned vocals, and well ... no scenester haircuts to be seen as far as I can tell. In fact, they might even do pop-punk better than just about anyone out there right now, not making any large creative strides, simply offering a slice of sprightly exhilaration.

How is all this possible, you might be asking? With dozens of pop bands to choose from, the music scene for today’s teenagers has become a major-label-funded ice cream truck of sorts. Most fans likely choose their ice cream by the way it looks and not by the way it tastes (*cough* Paramore *cough*) - after all, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle ice cream is so much yummier than banana fudge. Although, in the long run, the coolest (let’s use that term lightly) looking one is always the most difficult to eat and gives you the biggest stomachache (*cough* The Maine *cough*).

Hit The Lights redeem themselves, in a sense, on their follow-up LP to 2006’s This Is A Stick-Up... Don’t Make It A Murder, which was incessantly catchy and breezy, but quickly lost its luster. Ex-vocalist Colin Ross had too much of a deviated septum to sing for 40-minutes straight and eventually, the album lost touch with its audience. After Ross subsequently left the band late last year, guitarist Nick Thompson stepped up to the microphone and surprised many as a fresher, cleaner voice for this guitar-driven, straightforward pop-punk band looking to simply bring forth some high-energy fun to the Myspace Generation.

After the piano-laden, introductory “Count It,” an anthem confirming the band has been through their hardships and is preparing to rock faces, the band pulls a 180 on the listener by ripping into “Breathe In,” which could easily be mistaken for an All Time Low b-side (come to think of it, many of these could be). “Stay Out” sounds even more amped up than it’s demo version did, and there’s no hiding the huge single potential “Drop The Girl” has; it’s infectious, addictive and despite its repetitive nature, dares to spin a web inside your eardrum. “Tell Me Where You Are” is a slick ditty with all the charm and pizazz a radio-ready single should have, but once “Hangs Em High” reaches its conclusion, the album begins to bleed together. Perhaps it is the fault of producer Rob Freeman (ex-Hidden In Plain View), who knows how to make a record sound huge, but also doesn’t provide it with enough variety. Thompson’s vocals sounded more organic on the demos and seem tinkered with here, at times so much like Alex Gaskarth (All Time Low), it’s hard to decipher who you’re listening to.

The combination of distorted guitars and crisp vocals can be used to great effect (see: New Found Glory), however in this scene, it’s a dangerous line to walk across, and easy to get lost in the shuffle. Hit The Lights does pop-punk better than most, writing enjoyable melodies with solid harmonic backing. That doesn't keep the album from having its moments though: the lyrics generally fall along the same thematic material any band of this genre would write about (growing up, falling in and out of love, etc.) and don‘t add anything to what you’re hearing; “Don’t Wait” sounds like a lost Ataris ballad from So Long, Astoria; and “Cry Your Eyes Out” drifts into “Come One, Come All” (by All Time Low) by it’s finale. “Statues” is perhaps the discs most obnoxious track, featuring a whiny chorus lacking the massive hooks - and personality - found on the first six songs.

Skip School, Start Fights
really does present a worthwhile album to fans of pop-punk; guitarists Omar Zehery and Kevin Mahoney shred on each track, bringing splendid balance to each other. However, the songs are all so easily-accessible and instantly-catchy, once the album is over, they won’t stick around for much longer. The tunes provide as much energy as a couple cans of Red Bull, and sure, it’s not a bad batch of songs here, however the production is too slick for its own merit and with a rawer intensity behind it, might haven taken the familiarity away. All in all, you could do much worse in this ever-growing copycat genre - and the truth is, Hit The Lights are the perfect relief for your summertime heat wave; they do it without having to look cool or act hip for their audience. They bring immediacy to an ADD audience who refuses to wait for that tasty ice cream treat to melt and is willing to take the brain freeze.

Recommended if You LikeAll Time Low’s So Wrong, It’s Right; New Found Glory’s Catalyst; Just Surrender’s We’re In Like Sin; banana fudge ice cream pops
Choice Cuts“Drop The Girl,” “Say What You Want To Say” and “Stay Out”

Tracklist1. Count It!
2. Breathe In
3. Stay Out
4. Drop The Girl
5. Tell Me Where You Are
6. Hangs ‘Em High
7. Back Breaker
8. Don’t Wait
9. Cry Your Eyes Out
10. Statues
11. Say What You Want To Say
12. Winding Down
13. On and On
BandNick Thompson - lead vocals
Omar Zehery - guitars
Kevin Mahoney - guitars
Dave Bermosk - bass, vocals
Nate Van Dame - drums, percussion

Online VitalsOfficial Myspace | Official Purevolume
PurchaseAmazon MP3

This review is a user submitted review from Chris Fallon. You can see all of Chris Fallon's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 156
09:54 PM on 07/06/08
industrialbelt
don't you quote me!
User Info.
Very well written, Chris. I don't think Nick sounds like Alex G. that much, but otherwise this sums it up all too well.
10:02 PM on 07/06/08
The Summer Ends
COYS
User Info.
Very well written review. I love this CD and would have rated it higher, but I respect your opinion on it.

Also, Statues is one of my favorite songs on the album along with Cry Your Eyes Out.
10:02 PM on 07/06/08
IamTheINDUSTRY
glory glory
User Info.
so let me get this straight...youre saying in your review that paramore isn't a good band but people like them because of how they look? that's misinformed and pretty ignorant. "riot!" (depending on your tastes) is a very worthwhile pop album with some good lyrics and decent musicianship.

you bring up all time low a lot, but this band seems "heavier" for lack of a better term, and with better drumming. i don't get the all time low reference, and think that nick sounds nothing like alex. again, opinions, but i think you ream the album a little to much for sounding like all time low, when the music really doesn't at all if for no other reason than freeman's production.

then you call out freeman as having so much to do with the album that he could actually change the music being played and make it not bleed together? i mean, he didn't write the songs. he can flip some knobs but, were you looking for drum loops? i mean it's hit the lights' album not rob freeman. i disagree that it bleeds together as well, but i will say "statues" should have been left off.

the score for this album is to low considering what other albums of lesser quality are receiving and paints a picture that isn't exactly correct for someone thinking about buying this. most of this website would eat this up, and it is worthy of a score in the 80%'s - maybe a 83 or so. again, opinions. but you saying "noobs are gonna kill you" over this is annoying. you're implying only people new to the website appreciate this? htl has plenty of people really excited they stuck it out, and this record is a definite triumph. it provides all the substance a pop-punk album needs.
10:15 PM on 07/06/08
mroche
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Good review, but I think The Mile After does pop-punk better than these guys
10:17 PM on 07/06/08
friendsfall
User Info.
Katy Perry has a better author rating than this album? That says a little something about AP credibility now, doesn't it?
10:25 PM on 07/06/08
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
Great Review Chris

I absolutely love this album, but a I have my doubts about how long it will last.
10:26 PM on 07/06/08
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
Katy Perry has a better author rating than this album? That says a little something about AP credibility now, doesn't it?

It's each authors own personal opinion, just because you disagree with one reviewers rating of an album doesn't mean the site doesn't have any credibility.
10:28 PM on 07/06/08
bailmeout13
It could be a bowling site.
User Info.
Nice review. I can't wait to grab it Tuesday.
10:43 PM on 07/06/08
gonfreaks
User Info.
Great review, I agree with it overall. The score's pretty fitting, I think. It's a fun pop album, but it's not amazing or original (not that I expected it to be, of course).

I still like it, and it will probably stay in my rotation for at least another week.
10:45 PM on 07/06/08
allisterkid
here since blink fansite
User Info.
I expected a way worse album than this. It's a pretty damn good summer time album. I think I would've even rated it a little bit higher.
11:15 PM on 07/06/08
bustamebus
User Info.
this band is better than all time low in my opinion. they have catchier hooks. their musicianship is damn good. and i just think the singer has a better voice the guy from all time low. this cd is def one of the better pop-punk albums i've heard in a while.
11:16 PM on 07/06/08
fadedmemories
You'd be good for me
User Info.
great review dude, and I like how you compare bands with ice cream.... I wonder what's hayley's flavor....
11:20 PM on 07/06/08
thiswokendream
User Info.
To me Colin's vocals were just fine. I still jam "This is a Stickup..." I do believe that because of Colins distinct vocals there music would be a little better, BUT I really am enjoying this album because it is the first stright up pop punk release in a while. There are many songs where the patterns repeat and many songs sound like others but I don't even care. Because there is at least one band that is still doing the pop punk thing with out having overly stylish hair and projecting a boy band type image. Lets face it, most of the bands today care more about being like other bands in their genre and looking like the scenes image standards. Houston Calls is another band that is still just confident enough to do what it is that more bands should be doing. I recommend this album to anyone who enjoys cracking a beer outdoors and listening to great upbeat music in the summer time.
11:25 PM on 07/06/08
handlikesecret
inverted-album-art.tumblr.com
User Info.
good review, Chris. i would have given it a higher rating, but you're the reviewer, not me.

well done.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version