AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Emanuel - 06.05.04

Interviewed by
Emanuel - 06.05.04What is Emanuel’s message behind the new record “Soundtrack To A Headrush”, and what is your overall message?

Matt: "Soundtrack To A Headrush" is really just about the last year of my life. We’ve spent at least that long jamming the music. Sometimes I would try and write words in advance but it never worked out. It's all just real shit that I felt strongly enough about and when I would sit down and start putting together the words it just flowed out of me. The album is just about being where I am right now, and I bet alot of people are in the same place. It’s like "Hey. I’m 20 I have no idea what I’m doing with my life. Do you wanna get fucked up?" I don’t know if we have an overall message yet. Maybe we're just "real" people.

What are the complications of touring without having any label support?

Matt: It's just that no one knows who you are. in a business sense, it's hard to get a spot on good tours with out a record out, because you aren't really bringing anything to the line up. on a performance level, kids who have never seen you before alot of times are more observing you than they are getting into it. even if they really like your band they are more trying to get a feel for you. but I’m the same way too. it's hard to feel it if you don't know the lyrics, its what gives the emotion of the music a human quality.

What are your favorite songs on the new album, and which song means the most to you lyrically and why?

Matt: my favorite songs are "the new violence" and "hey man". they shred. haha. I guess that’s why I’m in a rock band, but if I had to pick song that means the most to me lyrically, its definitely "Make Tonight". it's about a night I spent on the road, with a girl that I knew from home. I consider it to be the first night of my adult life and it kinda stuck with me.

What inspires your lyrics to write songs like “Make Tonight”, “The Hey Man”, “Breathe Underwater”, and “The New Violence”. What do those specific songs mean to you?

Matt: "hey man" is really personal to me. so many kids at shows are just there for the fucking fashion show. they stand inside between bands for the pissing contest and then when the bands start they go out side for a smoke and to gossip. we never got any love in Louisville. we started out so young, and don’t get me wrong we weren’t great, but we were trying and we always had these older scenester kids breathing down our necks. "hey man" is kinda my fuck you to those kids. "Breathe Underwater" I wrote after I read Catcher In The Rye for the first time. It’s just social alienation. "the new violence" is all summed up in the line "we want blood!". I wrote it thinking about that show Real TV and faces of death and shit. people love seeing other people’s misfortune. it definitely shows a really sadistic side to American culture. it makes me wonder what the next step is. "make tonight" is just a funky groove to fuck to.

What was it like working with a big time producer like Machine, who’s worked with an amazing band like King Crimson? Was he hard to work with?

Matt: Machine is an awesome dude. period. he was really cool to bro down with even when we weren't recording. not to mention being an amazing producer. full of great ideas. and never force full. he would see places where something was needed' like a transition or a fill, and we would write it as a band. it was a great experience. we are a way better band after working with him.

What are some of your favorite movies?

Matt: My favorite movies are Forrest Gump, Donnie Darko, Raising Arizona, Almost Famous. I dunno I don't really watch alot of movies to be honest with you.

What are some of your favorite records to listen to lately, and if you could only listen to three albums for the rest of your life which would they be?

Matt: Recently I’ve been listening to Bright Eyes "Lifted", Idlewild "the remote part", Phoenix "united", and Stone Temple Pilots, whatever their first album is called.. I listen to our album alot too. If I could only have 3 albums for the rest of my life they would be "abbey road" by the beatles "stay what you are" by saves the day and "Nevermind" by Nirvana.

8. Do you like the movie The Monster Squad? It’s the best.

Matt: I've never seen it. movies aren't my forte. i get sleepy.

9. What are some of your favorite curse words?

Matt: i Like slut alot. and i guess i say fuck alot too. i don’t even think about curse words as being a different part of the language. i say them at the wrong times alot.

10. If a movie was made about your life, which actor would be your # 1 pick to play you?

Matt: River Phoenix would have been really good for it.

11. Hiltons or Olsens?

Matt: Tuckers.

12. Tuckers?

Matt: My ladyfriend. she’s a twin. It’s her last name.

13. What would be your dream tour?

Matt: Emanuel. Armor For Sleep, Recover, and Foo fighters.

14. When do you think kids will be able to buy your record? Do you think you’re close to inking a deal?

Matt: I'm hoping our record will be out by October. I’d like to think that we are close; yeah.

15. What do you think would be the worst way to die?

Matt: burning to death for sure. i burnt my hand really bad one time. it hurt so fucking bad. i can’t imagine being consumed by it ala "dislocated" on our album.

16. If heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say to you when you arrive at the pearly gates?

Matt: Can i have your autograph? haha. No, maybe "i don't care that you think I'm a fucking fake. It's cool".

Displaying posts 1 - 10 of 10
12:12 AM on 10/15/04
X__inhope
justinryan.org
User Info.
this band is too good. the cd is so amazing
09:07 AM on 10/19/04
The Bled 13
Cease2xist.
User Info.
What the hell is it with random stupid questions in an interview?

My favorite one he asked-

"How big is your dick?"
11:14 AM on 10/22/04
em0_stars
Count Me Out
User Info.
Originally Posted by Jon Wark
13. What would be your dream tour?

Matt: Emanuel. Armor For Sleep, Recover, and Foo fighters.

That would be a good tour minus foo fighters.
09:21 PM on 10/31/04
AreTwoKay
EAT LEAD SLACKERS!
User Info.
Fuckin amazing band right here ... too bad everytime I went to see them they cancelled on me :(
08:36 PM on 11/15/04
towhatend
the great decay
User Info.
Dion Saari fucking sucks.
08:48 PM on 11/15/04
The Bled 13
Cease2xist.
User Info.
Emanuel sucks.
05:27 PM on 11/16/04
razberryglitz
pixie's pony
User Info.
oh man i remember seeing these guys at sxsw this year. blew my mind. great stuff. ;)
06:24 PM on 11/16/04
The Bled 13
Cease2xist.
User Info.
No, it's not good stuff, this shit sucks. If you want good stuff listen to Comeback Kid or With Honor, that is good stuff.
08:43 PM on 03/24/05
struudle
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
ahahahahahahahahahahaha, these guys have changed names and musical styles more than, well, anyone.

i saw them like 3 years ago, in a coffee shop on bardstown road in louisville. they were pop punk/emoish, and pretty decent at it. ive lost respect for them since they have started hopping genres.

here you go! this is what they started out as:

http://mp3.interpunk.com/51378-6.mp3

Emanuel Nice - Ryder from High School Trivia.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos