AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Reign of Kindo, The - Rhythm, Chord and Melody Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 10
Lyrics 8.5
Production 9
Creativity 9.5
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 89%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.14
Musicianship 9.84
Lyrics 8.81
Production 9.31
Creativity 9.72
Lasting Value 9.23
Reviewer Tilt 9.59
Average: 94%

Reign of Kindo, The - Rhythm, Chord and Melody

Reviewed by: Anton Djamoos (08/19/08)
The Reign Of Kindo - Rhythm, Chord and Melody
Release Date: August 19, 2008
Label: One Eleven Records

“Whenever I listen to it, I think, ‘We’re not worthy.’ Like, why is this band in our scene?”

So says fellow AP.net reviewer Steve Henderson about The Reign of Kindo’s Rhythm, Chord and Melody. I found that particular quote interesting because I got to wondering how a band like this, one that doesn’t rely on a chorus to keep attention, one that most people couldn’t name a single member of, and one that favors intricate jazz fusion over an upbeat summer anthem could gain the favor on the site that they have.

Of course, it helps that they were formed from a relatively popular band in This Day and Age. This is how most people learned about Kindo, including myself, and boy am I glad that I followed this band’s path.

Their debut self-titled EP was a favorite of mine from 2007, as it was something that definitely threw me for a loop; the music was completely different from what I had been listening to at the time and it instantly hooked my attention. From there, I waited with bated breath for anything else from them until now, a year later; I have Rhythm, Chord, and Melody. It was worth the wait, as the band is able to take music and turn it into a visual landscape of beauty, heartbreak, self-consciousness, and, ultimately, hope.

And I just want to see a beautiful world in my dreams.
- “The Moments In Between”

To listen to this album is to look at a painting of an empty, snow-capped town at night—you have a crystalline and flawless world outside of the houses, but past the initial appearance, there’s a dreary mood to the scene. This album is a journey in a world of longing with a determination of hope, as singer Joseph Secchiaroli puts all of his insecurities and longing into this album. Lead track “The Moments In Between” details how he’s become something he does not want to be and I will be hard-pressed to find a better musical moment for 2008 than hearing him sing, “Oh my God, what have I become?”

While the album is not cohesive in the sense that the songs that follow one another aren’t directly a part of the others with thematic elements or subject, it still works. “Breathe Again” follows the lead track with a story of a man who murders for revenge on Christmas. A dismal subject to be sure, but you’ll probably sing along to the chorus before realizing exactly what you’re singing about. In fact, I doubt some would notice even if there were no words entirely.

It’s easy to get lost in the music that this band makes; it’s that good. There’s more going on here in one song than you’ll find in most other bands that AP.net covers. So why is this band in our scene? Simple. It’s about the music, and this band excels with music that ranges from jazz to pop to even having western influences (i.e. 2:52 into “Hold Out”). Even if none of this sounds appealing, this album should earn a listen from any fan of music just to hear the incorporation of different styles to produce something that is mostly unique in an increasingly stale genre. It’s an album that can be listened to at any time, whether it be background music, or an eyes-closed headphones experience and be appreciated.

It’s tough to describe the music on this album without getting into a track by track analysis of each song. Your best bet is to just check the album out yourself…it’s something to experience.

And it feels like I just found my way, ‘cause in my darkest hour I hear that music play. And suddenly the world and its toil disappear when the rhythm and chords fill my ears.
- “I Hear That Music Play”

Nothing can encapsulate exactly how I feel about this album more than the band’s own lyrics in “I Hear That Music Play”, as Secchiaroli seems to have unwittingly written about music that has the same effect on him that his band’s music has on me. When I hear this music play, the world disappears when the rhythm and chords fill my ears, providing me with the best musical escapism 2008 has offered me so far.

So why is this band in our scene? As long as they are putting out music like this in our scene, I'm not going to care.
Recommended If You LikeBen Folds, This Day & Age, The Flaming Lips, As Tall As Lions

Additional InformationTrack Listing
1. The Moments In Between
2. Breathe Again
3. Great Blue Sea
4. Let It Go
5. Nice To Meet You
6. Till We Make Our Ascent
7. Something In The Way That You Are
8. Rhythm, Chord & Melody
9. I Hear That Music Play
10. The Mystery Of Our Day
11. Morning Cloud
12. Hold Out

The Reign Of Kindo is :
Joseph Secchiaroli - Vocals & Guitar
Mike Carroll - Guitar & Sizes
Kelly Sciandra - Piano & Trumpet
Jeffery Jarvis - Bass & Vocals
Steven Padin - Drums & Vocals

Website | AP.net Profile | Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 53.
09:21 PM on 08/19/08
Momo32T
User Info.
Solid review Anton. I really do enjoy this album, but I do feel that the EP was better overall. The EP seemed to have a sense of diversity that RC&M lacked. Sometimes songs sounded too similar. However, a great follow up to the EP. Favorite songs are "Let It Go" and "The Mystery Of Our Day"
09:26 PM on 08/19/08
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Well done Anton. You did better with this than I could have.
10:14 PM on 08/19/08
blindrider529
***NICKEL CREEK*** <--GO LISTEN NOW
User Info.
I just picked this up like an hour ago. I heard some of it because a friend send me the leak the day that it came about, but I didn't really listen to it.

This album is absolutely FANTASTIC. I love it! Solid review.
10:20 PM on 08/19/08
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
User Info.
is this out already? their EP was

good. i can't describe it any other way.

this review destroys AP Mag's credibility.
12:43 AM on 08/20/08
aradiantsunrise
i'm not as dumb as i am
User Info.
Alternative Press are morons for giving this amazing album such a shitty rating. Great review!
01:45 AM on 08/20/08
atticusfinch
Faith In More Than Steel
User Info.
I love this album. It'll be in my top 5 before 2008 is over.
04:33 AM on 08/20/08
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
I'm sure Steve would have done great, too, but I am so glad you wrote a fitting review for this album. One of my favorites of the year so far - as much as I love it in its entirity, I could do with simply an instrumental album.

Not sure how this managed to get one star from AltPress, but considering they don't know how to pick five star albums, who cares? Anton 4 lyfe!
05:09 AM on 08/20/08
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
I'm sure Steve would have done great, too, but I am so glad you wrote a fitting review for this album. One of my favorites of the year so far - as much as I love it in its entirity, I could do with simply an instrumental album.

Not sure how this managed to get one star from AltPress, but considering they don't know how to pick five star albums, who cares? Anton 4 lyfe!
This album got 1 fucking star on AltPress? For real? The same twats that gave Lights and Sounds a 5/5?
05:51 AM on 08/20/08
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
This album got 1 fucking star on AltPress? For real? The same twats that gave Lights and Sounds a 5/5?
Underoath, Dragonforce, both perfect scores ... Reign of Kindo got a one.

When it comes to great records, that magazine knows about as much about them as the Jonas Brothers do about acting.
06:03 AM on 08/20/08
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.

When it comes to great records, that magazine knows about as much about them as the Jonas Brothers do about acting.
06:11 AM on 08/20/08
ddb43
User Info.

Damn!! That's gotta hurt.

Solid review. I haven't heard this yet, but now I very interested.
06:32 AM on 08/20/08
cryates
Up, Up and a Hey!
User Info.
I've been waiting for this review from you Anton, and you did an excellent job sir.

I love this album so much.
07:12 AM on 08/20/08
aradiantsunrise
i'm not as dumb as i am
User Info.

Not a fan of Underoath? :/
07:13 AM on 08/20/08
TooLateF0rRoses
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
interesting review. i will check this out immediately
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives