AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Unwritten Law - Live & Lawless [LP/DVD] Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 8
Lyrics N/A
Production 8.5
Creativity 5.75
Lasting Value 6.5
Reviewer Tilt 7
Final Verdict: 72%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Unwritten Law - Live & Lawless [LP/DVD]

Reviewed by: Chris Fallon (09/05/08)
Unwritten Law - Live & Lawless (CD/DVD)
Record Label: Suburban Noize
Release Date: September 30, 2008

Who?

Longtime SoCal pop-punkers Unwritten Law, notable for their smash hits "Seein' Red" and "Cailin," release their first live album, complete with a DVD of 22 songs - and five acoustic versions.

How is it?

Live albums are generally throwaway releases for many bands - really, if you aren't a diehard fan of said band, you will overlook the release as a means to get one more record off the contract. It's not too much different for Unwritten Law, a band that provided some rather substantial hits in the early part of this millennium but have succumbed to radio-rock standards in recent years (for an idea of this, check out the Hinder-approved album cover). The band states they are a "live band first and foremost," hence the release of their first-ever live CD/DVD combo, Live & Lawless (the band has previously released the out-of-print Music in High Places special from MTV on DVD).

The live CD is essentially nothing special here - 16 tracks covering the band's last three studio albums (Unwritten Law, Elva and Here's to the Mourning), but no older material (say, from Oz Factor, like "Superman"?). The DVD, however, is a nice treat for any fan of the band - the 22 songs here are presented in good quality with little to no errors on the band's part. Vocalist Scott Russo is no spring chicken these days, but still manages to provide enough energy and smoothness to the songs, ranging from old favorites ("Teenage Suicide," "Lonesome") to gentle acoustic ("Rest of My Life," "Before I Go") to the obscure - but pleasant - album cuts ("CPK," "Shallow"). While there's literally nothing new here to present, for any longtime Unwritten Law fan, it's not a bad way to continue supporting their career. There's no shortage on material here - however, this is simply "for collector's only".

Recommended if You LikeUnwritten Law's major-label material; live albums; digital video discs with 22 songs by Unwritten Law, performed on a stage with a crowd in front of them, having fun.

Track ListingCD:
1. Underground
2. Teenage Suicide
3. Rescue Me
4. Cailin
5. California Sky
6. Blame It On Me
7. Shoulda Known Better
8. Celebration Song
9. Mean Girl
10. Seein' Red
11. Babylon
12. Lost Control
13. Oblivion
14. Save Me (Wake Up Call)
15. Up All Night
16. Shoulda Known Better (bonus)

DVD:
1. Underground
2. Teenage Suicide
3. Rescue Me
4. Cailin
5. California Sky
6. Blame It On Me
7. Shoulda Known Better
8. Celebration Song
9. Mean Girl
10. Seein' Red
11. Babylon
12. Lonesome
13. Rest of My Life
14. She Says
15. Before I Go
16. Elva
17. Shallow
18. Lost Control
19. Oblivion
20. Save Me (Wake Up Call)
21. Up All Night
22. CPK
Band MembersScott Russo: vocals
Steve Morris: guitar
Pat "PK" Kim: bass
Tony Palermo: drums

Online VitalsOfficial Site | Official Myspace
PurchaseAmazon.com

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 15.
11:33 PM on 09/05/08
Heart-A-Tact
User Info.
Quote:
(for an idea of this, check out the Hinder-approved album cover).

Ahaha.
06:02 AM on 09/06/08
mr chainsaw
lets all go to the magician's b-day
User Info.
I remember listening to Elva and the self-titled a lot. I might check this out.
08:03 AM on 09/06/08
Anton Djamoos
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
CPK is on the album, isn't it? That's an older song.
10:35 AM on 09/06/08
permanentdan
User Info.

yeah i think it's from their s/t
11:55 AM on 09/06/08
oldskool
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
ya know i have been a HUGE UL fan for quite some time. (1997) but seriously what the hell. The last like 4 releases have been the same old songs over and over and over. Music in High Places, Unwritten Law greatest hits, The Hit List, and now this. It blows my mind that anyone is buying these albums. I stopped at music in high places. When are we ever going to get new material?? I don't even listen to that Mourning album anymore, it had like zero lasting value. The last good full length UL has made was the MASTERPIECE which is ELVA. My patience is wearing very thin on UL these days. They are in desperate need of a new GOOD full length. Maybe if they put something decent out I will go back and buy this Live Cd, but I don't have any aspirations to go out and buy the 4th installment of the same songs. I know Unwritten Law has it in them to write another good record; I am just hoping it comes out this decade.
01:59 PM on 09/06/08
oldskool
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
WTF, they didn't even include HARMONIC???!! Are you kidding me, that is there best song.
02:59 PM on 09/06/08
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
"CPK" and "Shallow" are the only two pre-Interscope tracks here. I dunno ... I like the set list but wish they'd go back into their older Oz Factor/Blue Room material even more so.
03:01 PM on 09/06/08
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
ya know i have been a HUGE UL fan for quite some time. (1997) but seriously what the hell. The last like 4 releases have been the same old songs over and over and over. Music in High Places, Unwritten Law greatest hits, The Hit List, and now this. It blows my mind that anyone is buying these albums. I stopped at music in high places. When are we ever going to get new material?? I don't even listen to that Mourning album anymore, it had like zero lasting value. The last good full length UL has made was the MASTERPIECE which is ELVA. My patience is wearing very thin on UL these days. They are in desperate need of a new GOOD full length. Maybe if they put something decent out I will go back and buy this Live Cd, but I don't have any aspirations to go out and buy the 4th installment of the same songs. I know Unwritten Law has it in them to write another good record; I am just hoping it comes out this decade.
I have been told a new album is coming in early 2009.
03:22 PM on 09/06/08
Kbm600
Here, It Never Snowed
User Info.
I just want the chick on the cover, to be honest.
03:59 PM on 09/06/08
DivisionStreet
Music
User Info.

I personally loved Music in High Places.
04:56 PM on 09/06/08
oldskool
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I personally loved Music in High Places.

music in high places WAS GOOD. Their last proper full length that was good was Elva.
06:44 PM on 09/06/08
princesschad
sowing season
User Info.
I just want the chick on the cover, to be honest.

Me too.
09:24 AM on 09/07/08
decisionpending
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
CPK was on Blue Room. Shallow was on both Blue Room and Oz Factor (EDIT: and on High Places). I still agree... where's Suzanne, Lame and Superman considering this is essentially a live best-of. I will always defend UL to the bitter (oh-so-bitter) end due to S/T being THE formative album of my adolescence (over anything NFG, ODS, 182, Ataris, Millencolin could conjure) but Scott should retired the name after Wade was kicked out.
03:44 PM on 09/07/08
March_Faster!!
まくどなるどなしじゃいきられない。
User Info.
I really like UL and have so for a long time...but damn they need some new material quick!
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests