Password

Album Review
Senses Fail - Life is Not a Waiting Room Album Cover

Senses Fail - Life is Not a Waiting Room

Reviewed by
Senses Fail - Life is Not a Waiting Room
Record Label: Vagrant Records
Release Date: October 7, 2008
It's completely understandable that Senses Fail follows the formula that garnered them recognition and praise in the past two years. Regardless of preference, it's hard to deny the progression the group made from its debut LP Let in Enfold You to Still Searching. However, if the formula wasn't that extraordinary to begin with, there will continue to be detractors, and for a band as contrived and generic as Senses Fail, it's surprising that Still Searching sold more than 750,000 albums.

Life is Not a Waiting Room is the New Jersey quintet's third full-length album and second on Vagrant Records. Like every band that is on the brink of releasing a new album, this is the group's "best music to date." Singer Buddy Nielson described the songs as "having a real sense of urgency" and having a lot of "grit and power." Guess you could say most of us are still searching for that. Bad puns aside, on to the album.

Life is Not a Waiting Room begins with "Fireworks at Dawn," which is more or less the album's best song. The drumming intro sets a cadence that is hard to ignore, but the band fails to follow through after this. The rest of the album is uninspired and cliché, as it is song after song of dark and haunting themes over melodic and moderately heavy music.

The main strength of Senses Fail is its musicians, namely the guitarists. Heath Saraceno and Garrett Zablocki do a pristine job at handling the guitar duties, with tip-top solos in "Lungs Like Gallows" and "Wolves at the Door." The drummer, Dan Trapp, possesses a bit of talent as well, albeit cookie-cutter. The group even teamed up with producer Brian McTernan, whose work behind the boards is definitely something to write home about, and the production on the album is equally glossy.

Since the release of its 2002 EP From the Depths of Dreams, Senses Fail have yet to progress lyrically. Nielson still writes with the same childish metaphors and imagery that has graced every past release in Senses Fail's discography. In "Garden State," the lyrics "There will be a riot in my heart soon / It wants to beat beneath the open sky" seem to be derived from a 15-year-old's LiveJournal.

Vocally, Nielson is proof that anyone can become a singer. As a 24-year-old, his vocals lack the depth and range that would validate a good singer. Because talent is generally lost with Nielson, it would be in the group's best interest to find a frontman who doesn't hold the band back from reaching its potential.

In short, if you can manage to make it through Life is Not a Waiting Room without a cringe or even mild to heavy laughter, then this is the album for you. Senses Fail brings absolutely nothing new to the table. Yes, they managed to progress once in their career, but the end product is still contrived and lacks any real substance. Overall, Senses Fail epitomizes what you should not be listening to.

Recommended if You Likethe most generic and uninspired music you've ever heard; Senses Fail; a 15-year-old's Livejournal archives; sweet guitar riffs

myspace.com/sensesfail
This review is a user submitted review from weworemasks. You can see all of weworemasks's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 65
07:14 PM on 10/29/08
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
I enjoyed parts of this album, but this review is spot on. It has zero lasting value.
08:08 AM on 10/30/08
FaceLixeMurder
Amplitude!
User Info.
I will say that this album is not excellent like Still Searching, but this review is very much farther from
08:39 AM on 10/30/08
Roboman
Don't Mind If I Didn't
User Info.
Quote:
In short, if you can manage to make it through Life is Not a Waiting Room without a cringe or even mild to heavy laughter, then this is the album for you.

This line makes no sense. Obviously, if someone listened to the album and cringed or laughed at it, it would not be the album for them. And obviously, if they don't cringe or laugh, then (by your, in my opinion poor, reasoning) they must like it and it would therefore be the album for them.

Anyway, I have yet to listen to this album, but I loved Still Searching, and based on what I've heard, I'm sure I will enjoy this one to a similar extent.
08:49 AM on 10/30/08
Co and Ca
What are you doing here?
User Info.
I stopped liking this band when I turned 16. It still pisses me off that they headlined over Northstar in 2003 when they only had that EP out haha.
08:51 AM on 10/30/08
lenard27
Let's Go Pens! And Yanks!
User Info.
Well, I'm just going to say, while I respect your opinion, I have never completely disagreed with a review on this site ever.
09:01 AM on 10/30/08
WhoSaidThat?
twitter.com/TiredOfSeth
User Info.
This is basically the gist of it. Always love your reviews, Roshan.
09:06 AM on 10/30/08
Merkin
A Fine Evening For a Rogue
User Info.
probably one of the worst reviews i've read on this site, please don't do anymore.
10:06 AM on 10/30/08
friskycurtain
Registered Member
User Info.
I agree with hockeyguitar99, the album has no lasting value. I really think LINAWR is meh in comparison to their amazing discography thus far
10:48 AM on 10/30/08
pleasedontpanic
I believe. Help my unbelief.
User Info.
Probably one of the best reviews I've read on this site, please do more.
12:25 PM on 10/30/08
Cody Nelson
Your mouth to God's south.
User Info.
Yeah, terrible review. I respect your opinion, but shit review.
12:28 PM on 10/30/08
weworemasks
save the drama for wilmer valderama
User Info.
probably one of the worst reviews i've read on this site, please don't do anymore.

Yeah, terrible review. I respect your opinion, but shit review.

sorry cuties. may i ask why?
12:29 PM on 10/30/08
weworemasks
User Info.
This line makes no sense. Obviously, if someone listened to the album and cringed or laughed at it, it would not be the album for them. And obviously, if they don't cringe or laugh, then (by your, in my opinion poor, reasoning) they must like it and it would therefore be the album for them.

Anyway, I have yet to listen to this album, but I loved Still Searching, and based on what I've heard, I'm sure I will enjoy this one to a similar extent.

it's just a little snide comment. nothing more.

I stopped liking this band when I turned 16. It still pisses me off that they headlined over Northstar in 2003 when they only had that EP out haha.

hahaha, i totally forgot about that. i was there, too. mary janes!
01:22 PM on 10/30/08
weworemasks
User Info.
Probably one of the best reviews I've read on this site, please do more.

haha, thank you!
01:26 PM on 10/30/08
Cody Nelson
Your mouth to God's south.
User Info.
The main strength of Senses Fail is its musicians

What does that mean then? Doesn't that sort of make a band good, when their main strength is their musicians? Your review just kind of contradicts itself in spots, such as right there.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos