AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Crash Coordinates - Ansible Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 6.75
Lyrics 7
Production 8.75
Creativity 6.5
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 7
Final Verdict: 71%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8.53
Lyrics 8.19
Production 8.58
Creativity 8.67
Lasting Value 8.33
Reviewer Tilt 8.69
Average: 84%
Inside AP.net

Crash Coordinates - Ansible

Reviewed by: Susan Frances (10/14/08)
Crash Coordinates - Ansible
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: May 16, 2008

Ansible, the new 6-track EP from Crash Coordinates, is everything that fans of the band like. They show enthusiasm and energy in their chord progressions and stylish sonic layers covering “A Radiant Composition” and “Beyond These Atlantic Tides.” Their undulating waves along “Reverie” are well-groomed and their power pop springs moving through “The Torino Scale” are fashionable. Their track “She blinds me like a Medusa” is the closest the band comes to a ballad with “Pompeii” coming in at a close second opening with a gentle flutter of strings before transitioning into a nu-metal tinged spread.

The band’s lyrics are tangled in the melodic patterns reflecting over choices made in the past like in “Beyond These Atlantic Tides.” Kalla ponders, “You’d rather crash and burn then stay alive / So search inside, inside yourself / All alone while your memories fade / Do you think that things could change / But you can’t give up and you won’t give up / Because you’ve made mistakes and now you sleep alone / So this is where I’ll stay / This is where she slipped into the night / Was it all a lie they can’t justify / And the city sleeps tonight.” The verses talk through personal issues that cause pain in life while steering towards the light at the end of the tunnel.

Crash Coordinates’ new EP Ansible is everything that their fans like and expect from them.

Check them out www.myspace.com/crashcoordinates

The album was recorded and produced by Bob Hoag (Scary Kids Scaring Kids, The Format).

Track Listing 1. A Radiant Composition
2. Beyond These Atlantic Tides
3. Reverie
4. She Blinds Me Like Medusa
5. The Torino Scale
6. Pompeii

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 32.
08:54 AM on 10/15/08
goofy353535
I'm proud of my life
User Info.
metro station?
09:53 AM on 10/15/08
KingsCrossing
What are you waiting for?
User Info.
I'm having a hard time finding the Metro Station and Hellogoodbye influences. Besides the fact that both band have a synth in them... I don't even think this is a pop band.

Seconded. They sound more like an EVR band. I don't really see the pop characteristics at all, except for maybe in the vocals?
10:29 AM on 10/15/08
Kardel Sharpeye
this song pwns!...*twitch*
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
nice review
11:51 AM on 10/15/08
bubba665
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
interesting review

i hear many ensembles that influence this band. Hellogoodbye, Metro Station, and punk would probably not be on that list. it seems like this review was written looking from a paradigm that is not what this band is... i agree they are not a very good pop punk band as well... mostly because they are not pop or punk tho...

They sound much more like a Thrice and Minus the Bear mashup rather than metrostation
04:28 PM on 10/15/08
masturbasser87
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
did you even listen to this album?

poorly written review (I expected more from such a great site...) for a band that sounds nothing like what this review says
06:13 PM on 10/15/08
heyleigh
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
really??? metro station and hellogoodbye? this band sounds nothing like them.
06:19 PM on 10/15/08
Matan
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Terrible review. These guys are truly unique when it comes to genre. I havent heard anything like them before. And they are all amazing musicians. Metro Station is a terrible band, especially live. Quite the opposite for Crash Coordinates. And its "Torino Scale" not Turino.
06:48 PM on 10/15/08
jilaire
User Info.
Were you high when you pretended to listen to this band? Not one of those bands sound alike nor do they sound like these guys. Kinda like comparing the sound of someone retching to the sound of someone puking. Sounds alike at first but very different in the end.

Bad review.
06:51 PM on 10/15/08
weshotthealma
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I would have to say this review is quite terrible. For one thing, this review, seemed like an "oh, i'm just going to write whatever" type of review. Made it seem like you didn't even listen to the CD.

Crash Coordinates is an amazing band, with great talent. Yes, Hellogoodbye, and Metro Station have talent too, but them as influences, you've got to be kidding me. Those are the worst influences. Doesn't sound anything like Crash Coordinates, so either you don't know music, or just can't tell what is the difference. Since there is a big difference.
08:11 PM on 10/15/08
samuraihair
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I would have to disagree, now I use to like Hellogoodbye when I was around the age of 16, I mean I liked where we were when we drove in the car. However, they sound nothing like Crash Coordinates, CC actually sings for themselves machines don't do it for them and their instrumental talents are by far up to par. Pffftt CC is better and I think your confusing the synth in it for hellogoodbye, but nahh they're better and don't sound like either of those two bands. Recognize!!
08:12 PM on 10/15/08
kaylaaa
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Seems like this review contains a lot of bombastic word choice with no substance. My mind is spinning with phrases like "hairpin turns, gouge twists or contrasting shades" and I have no idea what they are supposed to mean. Personally I love this album, and this band. Crash Coordinates is incredibly different than most of the bands out in the music scene today, including Metro Station. To compare the two bands is absurd! Crash Coordinates incorporates some pop elements but they are not even close to being like Metro Station. Most of this review just doesn't make sense, and I hope that people will listen to the album themselves and decide whether or not they like it.
08:17 PM on 10/15/08
FromHereOnEvan
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
First off, Metro Station and Hellogoodbye should not be compared to The Rapture and The Klaxons--yes, they're all dancey bands with keyboards, but there is a big difference in their approach to music. Second, none of them should be compared to Crash Coordinates. Crash Coordinates are not "dancey" (though I imagine you could dance to them), nor are they "power punk."

Crash Coordinates are a progressive rock group who write pop songs, blending the epic orchestrations of Coheed & Cambria with the percussive guitar style of Minus The Bear and the off-kilter melodic sensibilities of Thrice. Yes, they're still a new band. Yes, they're still learning. No, "Ansible" isn't perfect by a long shot, but they're onto something interesting here, which is more than can be said for most new bands (signed or unsigned) in today's musical climate.

As a music critic, I realize reviews are totally subjective, and I am not trying to change the reviewer's opinion. However, based on the wholly inaccurate comparisons, I'm led to believe this reviewer didn't listen to this album beyond a cursory first impression, in which case I would strongly urge that more time be spent and opinions be re-evaluated. Facts are not debatable, and the fact is that Crash Coordinates are quite obviously not a punk band, nor are they influenced by the "power punk" scene as it is defined in this review. This is a very talented group of musicians, well on their way to finding their footing, and some basic accuracy is not too much to ask for.
08:20 PM on 10/15/08
darlingnicotine
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
hellogoodbye? metro station? is this an actual review?
these two bands sound nothing alike.
metro station are just a bunch of rich boys on stage doing karaoke with an instrument they don't even how to properly play. not to mention the horrible lyrics.
crash coordinates are ASU students, poor men, who have spent years learning their instruments and have lyrics which touch your heart.

there are big differences between these bands. try comparing metro station to the maine, not crash coordinates. i feel that the members of crash coordinates would be thoroughly offended reading this, as i am.
08:34 PM on 10/15/08
Intamin
Music...is great.
User Info.
Awesome stuff, love this band.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives